RIAA Sues XM Satellite Radio

quote:

Originally posted by Grizzle:

There's gotta be a way to put these farks out of business. Do they serve ANY purpose other than to bring lawsuits against people?

Everyone needs to boycott the record industry. It's the only way to take care of this.

On the one hand, I can see the RIAA's point about a lot of issues it has tied itself up in.

Having said that, it is TOTALLY out of control. I am a musician looking to better myself and possibly go semi-pro some day soon, maybe get a band together and go play a gig or 3 down on Beale Street here in town.

I mention this because I use what are called 'Guitar Trainer' computer programs like "Power Tab" and "Guitar Pro" which utilize tablature from well known songs that you can see and hear on the screen and learn to play. The quality of the music you hear in these programs is nothing like the music on the cd's; it's just there to give a learning musician an audio reference to what he or she is learning to play. All of these 'tabs' are created from scratch by everyday people using the tools provided in the programs-sort of reverse engineering the song in the software so it can be posted on a website and downloaded by other guitarists.

The RIAA has recently contacted EVERY major TABS site on the net that I know of and demanded they cease and desist providing these "copyrighted works" immediately or face a lawsuit. I'm all for protecting copyrights, but this is patently ridiculous. This is the equivalent of a 10 year-old kid getting sued because he played Billy Joel on his Fisher Price "Learn and Play" keyboard.

This is nothing more than a corporate bully muscling little guys into stopping something legal because they can't fight a frivoulous lawsuit. It is very aggravating to say the least.

quote:

Originally posted by Prez:

Having said that, it is TOTALLY out of control. I am a musician looking to better myself and possibly go semi-pro some day soon, maybe get a band together and go play a gig or 3 down on Beale Street here in town.

Just don't be affraid of the internet stuff. I still say it promotes cd sales than hinder it.