God help us it's starting already

WASHINGTON (AFP) - From military strategy and human rights to labor standards and trade, China is expected to come under tighter scrutiny by the upcoming Democratic-controlled Congress.

Democratic lawmakers have complained that the dependence of the Republican administration of

President George W. Bush on Beijing to contain

North Korea's nuclear ambitions has led to inevitable US compromises on the critical human rights and trade fronts.

"I think the most noticeable impact of the Congressional elections is likely to be on US China policy," said Robert Hathaway of the Washington-based Woodrow Wilson Center for International Scholars.

Evaluating the Republican Party's loss of control of the House of Representatives and Senate in last Tuesday's legislative elections, he said the Democrats were likely to pressure the Bush administration to be "more confrontational" with China on trade, human rights, religious freedom and Taiwan-related issues.

Like what are they suppose to accomplish by this. What happened to the carrot is much better than a stick. I've seen the reports and specials about china for the past few years and China has seen an economic boom that it's never seen before. The cities are becoming fantastic and so are options for its people. Slowly and suredly they will become like us. No one said it was going to change fast. May even take a generation or so but it's happening. Here come the democrats who want to rock the boat and possibly go around ruining what's been accomplished so far by demanding quick results.

The Democrats are not going to be able to do a damned thing.

They are going to talk a lot, have a bunch of investigations and socalled oversight committees, but basically they are going to do nothing.

It is all for show, because if they were to get Democrat Crazy, they will lose office in the next election, and they know it. They have no mandate, they know how they got in office, and so they are not going to risk becoming the liberal Democrat party.

They are going to hide, and nothing is going to get done, let them do whatever they want, as long as they are talking a lot, nothing will be accomplished, and that is just the way I like it.

quote:

Originally posted by LostInSpace:

.... the Democrats were likely to pressure the Bush administration to be "more confrontational" with China on trade, human rights, religious freedom and Taiwan-related issues ....

So Bush gets whacked over the head for taking down a despotic leader that was killing hundreds of thousands of his own people, he was WAY TOO confrontational, that "Dammed Cowboy". But now, with China, we're being "too lenient".

Hmm. I wonder which side of thier mouth their going to be talking out of tomorow.

Guest CrispyCritters

quote:

Heck, he can't even think of whacking the moron over in South Korea

I don't get it. What moron in South Korea?

Perhaps you mean 'Kim Jong il' in North Korea?

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Comparing Iraq to China is just.plain.silly.

Heck, he can't even
think
of whacking the moron over in South Korea, let alone Iran or China.

Sadamn was an easy target. Besides, they have oil.

Actually, the context of the comparison is far from silly.

Human rights are human rights. Period.

They're not different in Iraq or China or the US.

If you're a human you have certain rights, I believe.

Isn't it amazing, though, how Democrats apparently think you don't have the same rights if your an Arab human?

Guest CrispyCritters

Good post.

I think I see where Aramike is comming from.

Only one problem.

This war was sold on 'weapons of mass deception'.

To paraphrase that old Windy's commercial...'Where's the meat?'.

quote:

Originally posted by aramike:

Isn't it amazing, though, how Democrats apparently think you don't have the same rights if your an Arab human?

But if you are a terrorist Arab human, willing to blow yourself and innocents up, then you have all the rights that the Constitution grants US citizens.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaguar:

quote:

But if you are a terrorist Arab human, willing to blow yourself and innocents up, then you have all the rights that the Constitution grants US citizens.

...and yet we elected these people...

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Jaguar:

quote:

...and yet we elected these people...
Uh uh, WE didn't, our idiotic American brethren did.

We are actually intelligent Aramike, whereas the 50% that did elect these goofballs, I won't even say it.