Bloody Hell

The only thing that I was able to literally destroy while playing was a TRUST joystick.....the stick splitted in two half in my hand leaving my X-wing almost defenseless against an horde of Tie-Advanced.....

-------------------------------------

After playing a lot of games in 1 night my hdd got fried i was playing fifa 2004 and suddenly i heard a sissing sound then BAM ...

which hardware did you guys blow up whilst playing?

------------------------------

He he,one day I turned on my computer and the HDD was braindead,the Bios could not find it.Sometimes it worked fine and all was ok but next day it was braindead again...till now.I still have it as slave in case someday wakes up again.

And one day playing Xwing (fist one) in a mission were you had to clear a HUGE minefield,I ripped 2 of the suction rubbers under the joystick.

Xwing.... how many real cool hours and hours have I spended on it,that were the good times.

Funny thing is I always dreamed Lucasarts made a game like BC3000ad with starwars universe (I didnt know BC3000ad did really exist by that time),I imagined commanding a frigate with its crew,and an interface like microprose B17 (the first one) were you could see the inside of the ship.

But anyway we have BCMG and UC coming so my dream has become true (at least nearly)

Who knows...maybe with GBSIII I will be able to do a few ships of SW,just for personal fun

quote:

Originally posted by Bandus:

It's real common for power supplies to fry and take the entire computer with them. I've seen it a lot, especially when I used to work at the computer store..

Thank you thank you thank you. I knew I wasn't crazy. I'm on a rather poor grid and my power blinks at least once a week. I can tell because I have to reset my VCR and alarm clocks. In the year I have had this computer the power must have dropped at least 50 times.

Three weeks ago I came home and hit the power button and nothing happened. I took out the power supply, opened it up, and the little fuse had blown. I bought a new one, installed it, powered it up, the lights came on but nobody was home.

Now I've got a new motherboard with memory on the way. Once that is going I get to see if the HDD is ok.

Someone nice did give me the tip to set the BIOS to stay off after power loss. Then call the power co and cuss them out.

just wait until your Force Feedback joystick get a glitch in its infrared sensor (that lets it know when you have your hand on the stick so it activates the force feedback).

Mine literally flopped all over my desk like it was possessed. scared the living crap out of me.

If you have seen GHOSTBUSTERS2 , the scene of the jumping toaster, you know what im talking about.

Officaly, the only hard drive that I've destroyed was my main drive when I was playing BCMG, played it for 2 days straight without leaving my computer.. next thing I know I smell something burning and then my computer dies I open it up and find a hole the size of my thumb in the middle of the hard drive

Kinda freaky really, cause at the time this occured I was burning a hole in the side of a gammulen stormcarrier

Hmm.. blown up hardware? My latest thing is that I fried a AMD athlon 1Ghz, I replaced the fan and everything was fine, but after a few minutes it jumped off by itsself and that chip was a goner. Weird though, no magic smoke came out.

First thing I ever burned out was a ZX Spectrum, I simply used it too much, so the cables to the keyboard (made of paper) burned out. Almost all Spectrums have this problem.

Greetings,

Wouter Dijkslag

quote:

Originally posted by Commander Jamont:

just wait they all turn against there users

I came to the conclusion long ago that computers are inherently evil and take a special delight in committing suicide just when you need/want them most.

quote:

Originally posted by Commander Jamont:

chavik maybe you should think of a UPS

I have thought of that as well. Should have done it long ago. Thanks. Because even when you turn them off they aren't REALLY off. There is still power routed to the motherboard to allow wake on LAN and wake on modem and all that other fancy stuff. So the power outages and flickers still take their toll on the circuitry.

I wanted to upgrade anyway this is just forcing me too.

I had a lightning strike hit really close to my parents' house. The PC had surge protection everywhere except the phone line. The first clue that something bad happened was when I felt something like a static shock through the mouse and the graphics on the screen froze up. The second clue was the phone line being "off the hook" if the PC's modem was plugged into it.

Anyway, besides a fried modem the HDD died a month later with more bad sectors than I ever saw on a disk in my life, save for one that was in a PC a UPS (pronounced "OOPS") guy dropped.

Moral: surge protectors on phone lines == good thing.

Well lets see I've been a computer tech for about 9 years now and I've done a lot of repairs in my time and had some bad days too.

Here are things that happened my personal PC.

Crashed hard disk

Blown motherboard

Smashed (and I do mean smashed) joystick (ah X-wing)

But I think my work ones are the best.

dropped monitor

statically damaged memory

Electric shock from a printer

but I think my best one is

Putting live power cable in my mouth (darn thing blew me across the room)