Bush to Charge NASA with Implementing Broad Space Vision to Dominate Cislunar Space

Heh, that IS kind of cool, with all this space travel, maybe we will have battlecruisers by 3010...

But if they were to come upon some accident, they would probably terminate the whole mission..let's hope everything goes smoothly.

Also, COMMERCIAL flights? that's awesome too! Sign me up

Interesting. Especially this:

quote:

...use of the Moon for technology development and partnerships between NASA and the Defense Department....

And this:

quote:

...Military use of space and military test beds were also key elements in gaining acceptance of the renewed space plan.

The following quote probably means NASA would be out of the business of monitoring global environmental changes:

quote:

The study included ending NASA-funded aeronautics research, and earth science programs.

It's kind of a rough way to get people back into the job of space exploration ... but it's also far, far overdue. Robots can't be trusted to do the job.

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

I think that once an over reaching plan is achieved you will see the budget grow big time. In the mean time I would guess there are and will be multiple Black listed Space related projects being worked on.

My guess is there will be some kind of Moon Colony (however small) by 2030.

That is if we have not blown ourselves back to the Stone age before then

quote:

Originally posted by IceCold:

Oh wait.... It'll cost money! Then never mind.

That's okay. There you are Alaska sitting so smug between the U.S. and Cananda. I think it's time you pay for that seperation so it's only fair that you pay for this moon endeavour.

Anyway, Here's a little more info on the Bush and the moon Going to the Moon

• 1 month later...

quote:

Originally posted by Marvin:

This part has me wondering:

quote:

The review has been proceeding for nearly a year, involving closed-door meetings under the supervision of Vice President Dick Cheney, sources said.

Why is it Cheney can't do anything out in the open?

Because Cheney is the executive, he actually ran companies for a living, and these types of programs are his forte.

They do them behind closed doors, because Bush is not going to announce or hnt at something that is not economically or technically feasible.

It is Cheneys job to get into the nuts and bolts of the stuff, let Bush know what he needs to know in order to announce it or NOT to announce it, and get the ball rolling for Bush.

Closed doors are for those that Bush trusts, and he trusts Cheney explicitly to get it right for him, without blowing it all out of proportion.

It's called delegating responsibility, and Bush does it well.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaguar:

It's called delegating responsibility, and Bush does it well.

I give up. I can't find any direct correlation between secret, closed-door meetings and "delegation of responsibility." Could you possibly provide a link?

P.S. Cheney may have employed those tactics in the private sector but they are inappropriate when operating as Vice President of the United States. The American people are now paying his salary. Unless it's a question of national security (but then, these days, what isn't?), we have a right to know what's being planned, how much it's going to cost us, and who is going to benefit.

I do not mean to be a doomsayer, but this appears to be an unfounded rumor, at least for right now

While looking around the Internet, I came across this site that seems to have some good information, though the colors are horrible. It is repeating how prohibitively expensive going anywhere in space, including the Moon, would be. I for one would not want anyone taking an untested spacecraft to a planet where we lost/destroyed/crashed a large portion of our unmanned probes.

In 2001, I remember NASA asking Congress for more money than they had already appropriated, 4 billion more if memory serves me correctly. That is after the 25 billion dollars we had already spent on the International Space Station; and that being just our portion. One can only guess how much other countries have spent.

With the United State's budget operating squarely in the red, it would not be an economically viable to renew our space program right now, no matter how much it needs it

Our commitment in Iraq is costing us billions, and will cost us billions more

Our commitment to the ISS is... err... Same as above

Our war in terrorism is costing us billions as well, though in many smaller ways, to include this appropriations bill.

For the next few years, it looks like we are going to have to settle with this. While not quite as cool as going to Mars, it would be nice to ÔÇ£diversifyÔÇØ the economies of a few countries in the who rely soley on oil exports and just happen to be some of the most repressive regimes on Earth, not to mention habitual human-rights violators.

The only time we are going to see real activity in space will probably be commercially funded programs that will need to have an economically solid base.

quote:

Whether its a good thing or not (probably not) IMO its inevitable that military get their 'piece' of space in the future.

For better or worse, the military has already been in space for a long time.

Man, if only bush would cut some of the 380G$ military budget to boost the (AFAIK) 20G$ NASA budget maybe they could do SOMETHING .. within a decade.

And to think that the TOTAL budget for Canada is 180G$ ... canadians (135G$ us) .. basically means that the USA DOD spends 3 times as much money as Canada spend for everything (for reference canada spends about 12G$ on defense) .. US spends about 18% of its total budget on defense while Canada spends 7% of it.

Bah, I'm going OT.