Buying a new monitor advice

LostInSpace

Oh well, I guess my monitor couldn't handle the news about SED. . Well I've had it for six years and has served me well. It's an Acer 54e 15inch. It started about a month ago where it would, for no apparent reason, go into sleep mode from time to time right in the middle of what I was doing. This morning it just wouldn't stay on. If I leave it off for 5-10 min turn it back on it would work for about a minute then sleep again.

I'm using an old 13inch monitor I keep as backup for just such an occasion (good thing I have that fresnel lens for magnification). Anyway time for a new one. I have one in mind I couldn't seem to find an actual hardware review for it but on the store sites most give it a 4 out of five star rating. It's a KDS Xtreme flat crt monitor for $125 here's a peek I might even just go for the 19 inch version of that KDS MONITOR. The company that I linked to is where I buy all my upgrades and they are located in queens NY so me being from Manhattan I just go pick up my stuff and their prices are really good. Anyway, since I've had the Acer monitor for so long I was just wondering if anyone has or has used a KDS. I've seen the company around for some time so I know it's not just a flash in the pan. Any thoughts on this or other monitors. Thanks in advance.

For you techies out there. Forgot to mention that if the monitor is not connected to the computer or the computer is off it stays on Green light indication (amber for sleep mode). As soon as the computer turns on or when I'm just about to do something in windows it goes back to sleep. Now is there a way to defeat this sleep mode? Is there a pin on the 15pin connetor that also controls this circuit and if so which one so I can cut it out and try using the monitor that way until I get the replacement.

quote:

is there a way to defeat this sleep mode?

Could it be something as simple as checkin the power saving (Energy Star) settings for the display? If you go to Display Properties, click the Screen Saver tab, then in the lower half are the power saving options -- click settings and what do you see? Is there a Turn Off Monitor setting?

To H*LL with your old 15" get the KDS. We have several KDS 17" monitors here where I work - nice picture and never a problem.

BTW - I have a 19" monitor with a 30" fresnel lens and playing BCMG on that is AWESOME!

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Schacher:

quote:

is there a way to defeat this sleep mode?

Could it be something as simple as checkin the power saving (Energy Star) settings for the display? If you go to Display Properties, click the Screen Saver tab, then in the lower half are the power saving options -- click settings and what do you see? Is there a Turn Off Monitor setting?

Oh yeah forgot to mention that. I checked that it's on NEVER for turn off monitor. Thanks for reminding me though but I didn't check the bios sleep mode settings to see if it has become reset for some reason I just did and everything is set for always on. The monitor goes into sleep mode also as soon as I'm in the computer boot up (memory check, device connections etc..). In other words it's a random event. Sometimes I get all the way to windows and let it sit there without loading games and such and it still does it.

quote:

Originally posted by CaptnKarob:

To H*LL with your old 15" get the KDS. We have several KDS 17" monitors here where I work - nice picture and never a problem.

BTW - I have a 19" monitor with a 30" fresnel lens and playing BCMG on that is AWESOME!

Thanks for the thumbs up on that I also have my eyes on Viewsonic monitors also. I did find some mixed reviews on KDS REVIEWS. Btw how annoying are the dampner wires?

quote:

Originally posted by LostInSpace:

Btw how annoying are the dampner wires?

Dampner wires? Not annoying at all considering I don't even know what they are.

Apparently the KDS monitors we have here don't have them or something

btw - We HAVE had some trouble with a couple ViewSonic monitors - burned out tubes.

SC you can get one at Staples, Home Depot or Offciemax. Staples and OfficeMax will let you order them online from thier websites. Expect to pay from $3-$6.00 for a sheet. I am building one of those projection Tv's as a project when I complete Grad school this Dec and got mine from Staples.

About the KDS, I have a 19inch that I am most happy with. Next to a flat panel,it allows for more viewable surface and is priced just right. However If I were you I might try Tigerdirect for a better price. I was told that the KDS is near Trinotron quality but of that I am not sure.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

btw, where did you buy your fresnel lens?

I got it at

For the price it is the best lens I could find. There is some distortion, but it makes a 19" monitor look like a 24". It really adds a ton of depth and gives my sims a more realistic feel. I wouldn't recommend one for general computer use, but for games it is great.

quote:

Originally posted by Race Bannon IV:

SC you can get one at Staples, Home Depot or Offciemax. Staples and OfficeMax will let you order them online from thier websites. Expect to pay from $3-$6.00 for a sheet. I am building one of those projection Tv's as a project when I complete Grad school this Dec and got mine from Staples.

SC - don't waste your time! the ones at Staples are just flimsy page size lenses. I bought one and it was too small to do any good. If you want one I'll GIVE you mine because it certainly isn't doing me one bit of good! (you just pay postage).

I was going to try the "Home-built projector" but gave it up as a waste of time. CRT monitors simply do not give off enough light to make a good projector.

Race, let me know how your projector turns out.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

I got it at

Thanks, I'll try that one out

Like I said, it is pretty good for the price. There are better ones out there made of higher quality glass or plastic, but they are $150+. Someday I'll be able to have a true vga projector setup.

BTW-While we're on the subject of monitors --- I don't suppose there's a chance you'd reconsider supporting multimonitors?

Well thru extensive online searching I came up with a few items of interest for me.

First I did find out that the problem with my 15" monitor is most probably a worn out capacitor (capacitors are like cordless phone batteries after a while they just refuse to hold their charge anymore) heat and dry air can also help reduce the life of a capacitor as well. Here's a link that's a very good source for CRT problems and fixes or even just for general information. CRT problems and fixes.

Second, I did find some info about the two CRT technologies in use today Shadow Mask & Aperture Grill. As for me I'll stick with the Shadow Mask. Here are some of the 19" models I'm looking at MONITOR REVIEW. Of course, when I click on HOW WE TEST link at the review site it comes up blank so I don't know what kind of equipment they used for the testing (Video card type, computer type, what kind of eyesite the tester has (does he wear glasses or not, how good is his eyesight w/wo glasses, is he crossed eyed, is he color blind etc... )) Well when I finally go for the purchase I'll check all that out(picture quality) for myself at the store.

• 1 month later...