Single Molecule Computer Circuit : WHOOHOO!

The possibilities are mind boggling!

This could pave the way for nanites. Molecular bots that could be used to remove cancers in human tissue, toxic wastes, the list goes on and on. Cell phones the size of a wristwatch.

Not to mention smaller and faster computers. What will Intel and AMD call their first molecular chips?

It is. Mwahaha. Ill try and dig the article where they benchmarked an AMD T-bird 1.4 oc'd to 1.8 vs a 1.8 P4.

----------P4

-------------------T-bird

And the Palomino's 1.4ghz+ will be out soon... a Palomino 1 ghz NOW is faster in performance than a T-bird 1.33...AND it is much "cooler" (new palominos consume less power and generate less heat!).

I saw the yahoo article yesterday, thought it was funny how the writer was knocking on the Blue Men P4 commercials...

People wondered why blue men beating on $hit with pvc and breaking lightbulbs was supposed to encourage them to upgrade their computer.

I think the 2ghz is exciting, though in about 6 months it will be "stone-age outdated" by the Pentium 7 4.5 ghz

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

It makes you wonder where you go from a single molecule per function CPU. That’s about as small as you can get. Could you even imagine how fast a CPU based on this technology would be?

I guess the next step would be a Quantum Computer. A system that was built around a Quark or something crazy like that. Personally I think the answer would be in phase shifting an entire computer. What you would do is use gravity or something to speed up the flow of time around the system. If they could create a field where 5 hours on the inside was only 1 hour in normal space-time. Time is after all an effect of mass, acceleration, and gravity.

Sounds crazy but they are probably already working on it somewhere in an unnamed underground facility....

I think the next big breakthrough in nanotechnology will be the development of subcellular-sized molecular machines. However, since these would be custom-designed, non-immunogenic polypeptide chains it will be a few decades yet before we get there, as we don't even know the structures of the majority of our own proteins yet. The neatest thing I've seen recently is that someone designed a DNA species to act as a set of molecular 'tweezers', which under certain conditions would change conformation and bind another DNA molecule.