Slashdot - Discussion on Win98 phase out

• 2 months later...

I can understand why some people have problems when they upgrade an older system to XP-- but there's no reason to choose 98SE over XP when you're dealing with new hardware. XP is superior. It has some annoying 'features', but they can be turned off. The actual operating system is much more stable, and installing hardware and drivers is so much easier and trouble free.

quote:

Originally posted by Chaoticmass:

I can understand why some people have problems when they upgrade an older system to XP-- but there's no reason to choose 98SE over XP when you're dealing with new hardware. XP is superior. It has some annoying 'features', but they can be turned off. The actual operating system is much more stable, and installing hardware and drivers is so much easier and trouble free.

I dunno I still like windows 98. According to Microsoft, the XP is 10 to 30 times more stable than Windows 98. Is that much of a difference to upgrade 98 to XP? And the amount of security flaws, especially those that have the home edition, that keep cropping up on windows XP makes you think alot about the upgrade also. I'm hanging on to 98 until it's almost impossible to update drivers on it and software drops support for 98 and when they've nailed all the security issues but by then the new OS will be out the working title of it is Longhorn (but you all know about this OS).

I had to fall back to Win98SE on the kids machine, because NONE of their games would play on Win2Kpro. OK, 40% of them would, but the other 60% wouldn't, and of course those HAD to be their favorites.

I'll upgrade to the next OS after it has been out 2 years and the bugs are worked out.

Not ready for XP yet, Win2Kpro is the MOST stable OS that I have ever had, and is working great.

This is GOOD news for me, means that my Win2Kpro can stick around for quite a while.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaguar:

I had to fall back to Win98SE on the kids machine, because NONE of their games would play on Win2Kpro. OK, 40% of them would, but the other 60% wouldn't, and of course those HAD to be their favorites.

Oh yeah, thanks for bringing that up because that's another reason why I'm keeping 98 and that is for playing my old DOS games that have the hankering to play again from time to time. In windows XP playing dos games is dodgy at best you have to go through alot of steps to do that and it's just not worth that kind of hassle.

I like XP Pro. I remember when people were griping that it didn't LOOK like Win98 and chose classic mode. ( a thread in this very forum)

I had no problems with games on it. Anteus Rising: Hostile Waters worked fine with maybe two clicks to get it going. Thief II worked fine. Warzone 2100 worked fine. Even an old demo called Space Command Deluxe worked fine even if the processor was too fast for the engine and I could no longer beat level three difficulty scenarios.

But that was with old hardware. Perhaps I will reinstall some things and see if it holds true for the new beastie.

Plus I thought I read that they extended (for just a while) support for Win98 due to popular demand.

LostInSpace needs to retire current machine to legacy status and get new one with XP.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Chavik:

LostInSpace needs to retire current machine to legacy status and get new one with XP.

My machine!!! It's all current!! AMD XP 2000+, 256mb ddr (I know, I know I should have 512 or more), ATI 9600xt, Audigy Platinum it's all in my system stats here. Legacy!! Nah not the machine just the OS.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Chavik:

So you have a dragster with a Model T engine.

It will still go down the road but.....

Nice analogy . But then again as Scotty would say about windows XP "Aye, sir. The more they over-think the plumin', the easier it is to stop up the drain."

quote:

You'll regret it soon enough.

Your most likely correct SC; however, I was running a DF2 server, and really became tired of the daily updates, and security issues. I plan on obtaining a new system, for my exclusive XP dependent software(i.e.VisualBasic.net etc.) And, as far as stability...I have found, on this motherboard, 98SE, to be extraodinarily stable.

[ 03-18-2004, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: street ]

Upgraded to WinXP, and never looked back. I only installed it once, and have been running it for over a year now. It is by far the most stable system Microsoft has released.

My only compaliant is the long list of critical updates. I have another computer I constantly format and install different stuff such as Linux or BEOS. Win I go to re-install XP, you have to do the updates. Working with only a dial-up connection, it is a pain to get all the updates.

I wish Microsoft would distrubute thier patches on a disk as freely as AOL does thier software.

I have XP home on my current machine. My problem is that the PC could do with a Processor and Graphics card upgrade and I have a dreaded fear that once I do so then XP will take a freak and refuse to load/install.

quote:

I like XP Pro. I remember when people were griping that it didn't LOOK like Win98 and chose classic mode. ( a thread in this very forum)

I had no problems with games on it. Anteus Rising: Hostile Waters worked fine with maybe two clicks to get it going. Thief II worked fine. Warzone 2100 worked fine. Even an old demo called Space Command Deluxe worked fine even if the processor was too fast for the engine and I could no longer beat level three difficulty scenarios.

XP has been a good OS however some older games will not work (UFO, XCOM Apocolypse) as for Hostile Waters - that's a Direct X game anyway - only problem I have with that is that it has problems with my joystick so I have to disable it before I play.

The memory leak issue killed ME for me. My mom still refuses to upgrade even though her computer takes 15 minutes to start after having WinME on it for 3 years.

Guest Fox__Trot

Wow this thread came back...

Anyways Im running XP: Corp edition (which is just pro) and couldnt be happier once you get over the new interface look its just windows...

personally I've got friends STILL running 98 and they have more problems then I've ever had with my computer (I had a friend formating once to twice a month because of slowdown -- I finally made him install XP tho )

and lastly I've used win2k and I've used XP overall I like XP better then 2k since it adds more dos and 95/98 support... I've only had to once download dosbox to play a game (Starcontrol 2) 2k is stable but xp is ALMOST as stable as 2k and has far more features...'

-Fox

PS: You can play ALL but the first 2 xcoms on xp without problem to play the first to look up a program called dosbox and x-com will work just fine

quote:

Originally posted by Fox__Trot:

personally I've got friends STILL running 98 and they have more problems then I've ever had with my computer (I had a friend formating once to twice a month because of slowdown -- I finally made him install XP tho )

That's because your friend didn't install windows 98 properly what I mean by properly is the way you partition your hard drive. Here is a little trick I learned C:BOOT_DRIVE D:GAMES_PROGRAMS E:DOWLOAD F:SWAP_TEMP. Never have a problem with any windows98 slow down or stability ever since I did this. C drive gets barely fragmented since only the OS is on it, D drive just has to be defraged from installs and uninstalls and save games E who cares F who cares again about the fragmentation on it. D, E and F being fragmented does not affect the boot disk. I have posted about this in another thread a while back.

[ 03-19-2004, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: LostInSpace ]

• 2 weeks later...

I dual boot and get the best of both worlds. I'm mostly in Win2k, but occassionally boot into Win98se for some good DOS gaming. So far I have about 15% of my games won't play in Win2k. Not bad. Win2k is an awesome gaming OS if you get the right tweaks for it, IMHO.

My Dad doesn't think it is right that they can drop support for something people use. I don't ever see him upgrading his Win98se PC anytime soon.

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Greg Miller:

I dual boot and get the best of both worlds.

I was thinking about doing that myself. But I'm going to wait till I get another Hard Drive. I have an 80gig now. I'll either get another 80gig or 120gig and put XP on that one.