AMD Opteron: 64 bit chip

Check it out here.

We haven't had a tech heavy article in a while. Nor have we had a major processor update. Just clock speed increases. I think this is exciting.

And ya'll were all drooling when Derek posted about a super cooled Intel Northwood 2,2GHz CPU

Note that the AMD 64 still runs 32 bit applications.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Chavik:

We haven't had a tech heavy article in a while. Nor have we had a major processor update. Just clock speed increases. I think this is exciting.

And ya'll were all drooling when Derek posted about a

Note that the AMD 64 still runs 32 bit applications.

I've been keeping my eye on this for some time now. but I'll stay calm and not overly excited till everything catches up with the 64bit chip namely DRIVERS!!

Yes, to be fair, the article did mention drivers haven't kept up. But it's still exciting.

You posted on Linux didn't you? Did you see the article where Torvolds did a wonderful Derek impression?

quote:

They're smoking crack

man u know they prob could have done better if they used liquid helieum but thats like $5 a liter

i got a pretty good processor (2.8 ghz) but man 64 bit!? so does that mean I can play nentendo 64 games on my comp if i had that!? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA......

but seriously I WANT THAT EVEN THOUGH I DONT NEED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's exciting because the Pentium 64 is not supposed to be backwards compatible I.E. it WILL NOT run 32 bit apps. The blurb in the newsletter I got said "AMD skunks Intel" meaning they trumped them (for those that play cards) or beat them to the punch in a much better way.

I think drivers haven't kept up because "they" (OEM's) didn't think the AMD 64 would come about so they are sort of caught with their collective pants down.

And here is the article where Tovalds say they (SCO) are smoking crack.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Chavik:

It's exciting because the Pentium 64 is not supposed to be backwards compatible I.E. it WILL NOT run 32 bit apps. The blurb in the newsletter I got said "AMD skunks Intel" meaning they trumped them (for those that play cards) or beat them to the punch in a much better way.

I think drivers haven't kept up because "they" (OEM's) didn't think the AMD 64 would come about so they are sort of caught with their collective pants down.

And

Yep, from what I've read about the P64 is what you stated it will only run 64bit application on the basis that going backward compatible would not make an efficent 64bit processor. Only time will tell if backward compatibility is a hinderance on 64bit processing.

As for the drivers, I've read about the 64 bit chips from AMD and Intel that were in development some time ago and they had prototypes already of this chip even I knew it was just a matter of a short time before they were available and I'm not even a hardware developer. I think they knew it was only a matter of time and just sat on their collective butts about it with the idea of selling more peripherals "Sorry but our current peripheral devices are not 64bit compliant you need to purchase our new line of hardware to take full advantage of 64bit processing" that's what I think is going on. Which would mean new video cards, Sound cards etc.. you have to purchase. Oy vey!!!

quote:

Originally posted by XOR:

man u know they prob could have done better if they used liquid helieum but thats like $5 a liter

i got a pretty good processor (2.8 ghz) but man 64 bit!? so does that mean I can play nentendo 64 games on my comp if i had that!? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA......

but seriously I WANT THAT EVEN THOUGH I DONT NEED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Umm, you can already do that go here for the N64 emulators

NG-EMULATORS

I use ULTRAHLE which is the best. I have a AMD 2000+ xp with an ATI 9000 pro and the N64 games run fine even on this 32 bit system .

Yeah, I've read about the Opteron quite a bit.

FYI: With a 64bit processor, it's not only the speed that matters. With 64bits, you can theoretically process twice as much information at the same time. Meaning to say that it's an even better leap than traditional new lines of CPUs.

64bit isn't not a big deal if you're an average internet user, but it is if you're in business with multimedia or if you're a speed freak.

I liked the benchmark results. Probably in the next 5-10 years or so, I'm hoping to see the 64bit market expand from just servers and high-end workstations. I mean, at 3+GHz, 32bit processors seem to be running out of room to go; increase of speed in higher clocking systems isn't as much as it used to be.

And, um... Yeah.

The technology is about to take a HUGE leap, 64 bit will expand to 128 and go exponentially from there.

the problem is that the limits of the chip material will be the MAIN problem for getting more speed or inout into the CPU.

When the new nanotechnology is further expanded and understood, watch for a computer as strong as your P-4 desktops, fittin on your wrist.

The technology is coming, and it will be here sooner then you think.

You will soon be able to totally voice interface with your computer, and it is gonna be so far more then any of us expect that it is going to be insane.

I give it 10 years, then we are going to be seeing technology double every 3 months, right now it is at about 9 months, but it will make the jump REAL soon, and NONE of us will be able to keep up.

You will be buying the brand spanking new stuff and it will be already 6 months obsolete.

It's gonna be GREAT, what a ride this is gonna be!!

quote:

Umm, you can already do that go here for the N64 emulators

yes yes i already knew it i was just makeing a funny notice the sarcastic pause after my laugh

nano tech would be badass cus its smaller than micro(smaller than a human cell)

that would be cool if we could make nano machines too(a nuclear reactor smaller than a human cell) man that would be so awsome cus it could come alove and the sentient and start killing everyone with its shapeshifting abilities....

quote:

Originally posted by Forever Light:

Ya SC. By the time BCO is ready to be released you will have more computing power than you will know what to do with hehe.

Never! you will ALWAYS need more power. modern game developpers have plenty of things they "could" put in to make the game look better but they can't due to cpu restrictions. It includes the polycount of models and the texture level of detail .. very important factors. Those are great limitations on how good games can look like.