Seeking some opinions

echo

I know most of you guys build your own machines, however I am hoping someone can give me ideas or help me make decisions.

I am sadly giving my amazing 1998 Gateway computer to my kids. We can no longer share a computer. Especially with my sons new obsession with Pajama Sam and Nemo.

At anyrate I know I don't want another Gateway, and I am not a big Dell fan. Many swear by them but I am not impressed.

I do want to buy a whole set up.

What do I use my computer for you may ask...?

Internet and MS Office are my best friends. I don't play a lot of games, as I never have time anymore, but if I ever do, I truly don't think I need a gaming PC.

I hope to be getting a digital camera for my birthday..which is Friday, and would like to burn picture cd's as well as music, if it is legal...I am sooo out of the loop lately! I also have family tree information.

Ok so my ideas, please feel free to enlighten me.

Gateway is a pain in the bum.

Sony makes music not good computers.

Dell, just not impressed

IBM? have no idea

HP....seem to be swaying this way

Then I have a zip drive on here, will I be able to put it on my new one or do I need to buy a new one. Same with my printer. Although I may invest in a better one, I hear they do more now.

Any help you can throw my way would be appriciated.

Thanks!

the only reason i swear by dell is excellent service, even in my country they have official reps and service centres and warehouse with all parts for all systems currently on the market...so part bad today? technician here tomorrow with new part.

happened to my laptop..got a new motherboard. someday I'll say what actually happened to it

thats the reason i swear by them and not oem...

and its especially for persons who don't build or want the headache...

quote:

Originally posted by echo:

I know most of you guys build your own machines, however I am hoping someone can give me ideas or help me make decisions.

Hello,

If you are smart, you don't buy a machine from HP, DELL or any other brand. Why? Because you only buy a label on the outside, and junk on the inside. I often had people complain to me, and lose data, simply because something broke, and they put in a new no-name brand part in it, which made windows lose it's guts and lose years of people's documents and such.

Sure, that doesn't happen all the time. But the best thing to do, is to buy brands inside the computer, so that if something breaks, you can get that fixed, and if that doesn't work out, at least buy just one replacement, that can cost you only half till 1/5th of the price that brands charge for no-name stuff.

So, in short, brands inside, not outside. You will get a machine that runs faster, better, longer, and cheaper then one with a brand outside.

Greetings,

wouter Dijkslag

Here's A pretty rockin deal, but it ends in 4 hours, so if you're interested best hurry.

This one looks pretty rockin as well, have to buy your own monitor and speakers, but it sure would do the duty, for EVERYTHING, and the price is right, not sure if the OS is insstalled or not, but might be, and he offers a warranty.

Just some ideas, I don't trust the big boys, never have, I buy my own components and build my own systems, but some of the stuff on Ebay is pretty nice.

hey echo, look you said your budget is thousands, or did i miss and you said you are NOTlooking to spend thousands....

anyway if thousands, buy new and buy high in tech, so you dont have to change for years and can upgrade in a couple years time....

Hmmm, with two thousand you could go crazy.

Here is a thought. Find a reputable (you have to ask friends about this) shop locally that will build one for you. That way you can take it back for service.

Anything Intel 2.0 GHZ or AMD 1600 should do fine. My opinion only.

If you are going to collect music you want a BIG hard drive like 120 gigabyte.

You definitely want a plain cd drive PLUS the CD Burner drive.

I have a friend that burns cd's. She has a 1.0 ghz AMD and it does fine BUT swapping the disks is a chore. I think it would go much faster if she could put the source disk in the cd drive and the target disk in the burner. And to top it all off, her burner drive is the only cd drive in the computer so it does double duty as a standard cd drive and is about worn out.

You might want a CD burner/dvd reader drive. That way you could put a dvd in the computer and look at the extra content.

I think the kids don't need the zip drive so if it still works good you could take the old machine to that reputable shop you found and tell them to install that in the new machine. Otherwise, have a zip drive installed in the new machine and then you could transfer your information.

Get a 19" CRT monitor. Unless you just love the new flat LCD's then you may have to drop back down to 17" or 15".

You won't need a new printer unless you just want one. They are pretty cheap now. They practically give them away and rely on ink cartridge sales for profit.

That is all I can think of. Anyone feel free to contradict me.

I'm with Chavik on the reputable shop thing (and even support his other ideas). Sitting at a table (with a cup of coffee) in a computershop, stating what you want and getting options on component level in return, is a good way to buy a pc. (in an ideal world where you are served coffee while trying to buy a pc!)

Anyway, you have more control over each dollar that goes into it (and exactly where it goes into it). But it will take extra effort. Like Wody said, you can make sure you're buying a pc that's healthy inside.

Here's something to do when visiting a "normal" pc-shop. Ask to have a look inside the various pc's ur considering. It's not strange to look at a cars engine (and kick its tyres!) before you buy it; why should a pc be different. Shop staff is often nervous when it comes to exposing the "ugly" inside of a pc.

Hi Echo,

I also agree with Chavik and Dreadx about having a local shop build you a machine vs. buying a package model. You are paying for their advertising as much as their computer, much better to put that extra money into quality components.

Installing the Zip drive into the new computer should be no problem but the printer may have compatibility issues if your old o/s was not Windows XP. Check the manufacturers website to see if they have drivers for your model to work with Windows XP.Flat panel monitors are nice but currently they are expensive, might be best to hold off for now and wait for prices to drop. This way you can use the extra $ for memory, drives and other add-ons. The motherboard should also be chosen carefully, will it allow a faster CPU chip or added ram memory sometime in the future.

Besides who's better to lead you in the right direction, a shop owner who builds machines for a living or some kid working for minimum wage to pay for college.

quote:

Echo

And remeber to avoid disappointmene in me...never ask what I ended up doing!

It will be the fastest solitaire machine out there.

Then again, as Snafu (Rattler's better half) told me, a Game boy is much cheaper.

[ 02-10-2004, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Cmdr Chavik ]

• 1 month later...

Echo,

Everyone has provided some great ideas.

Explore every option, and any more you can think of.

I have purchased 2 PC's in the last few years...

I gave Dell a shot because their website was kind of like picking out a new car at a Dealership. I chose from available equipment and mixed and matched what I needed.

After ordering they put it together and shipped it on a very timely basis.

After setting everything up and hitting the ON button, the unit wasn't turned off for 2 years (running SETI) Except for memory upgrades.

It is no longer up with the technology produced today, but still performs admirably.

I would have to say I got my monies worth.

I ordered the second PC from an online supplier of components. Again it was pick what you want, we'll put it together.

I can't give you the name of these people because my purchase turned into an odd affair due to the confusing layout of their website.

I won't touch another off the shelf unit, ever!

quote:

Originally posted by echo:

I have a couple thousand to spare. Don't want to go much over that, but will if the gadgets impress me.....

Well if this doesn't impress you nothing will.

You can pick up that 64 Bit Monster for as little as 1555 and have a serious Kick but system. Though for 30 bucks, I would swap out the Nvidia card for the Radeon 9600, I've found that Radeon usually gives you less problems, such as the "Black Clouds" problem in UC that you get with Nvidia cards.

You twinkies have got to be shitting me. She asked for this about a month ago and some genius (looks suspiciously like ol' Wolfie 'imself ) decides to revive the thread a month later?

Echo, did you make a decision yet?

Ok I will fess up but no one... I mean no one... is allowed to yell at me!

I did say earlier to avoid disappointment don't ask, but how can I ignore the inquiry of the one and only SC....Wait I need to find the sheet....

HP Pavillion 450n. I got the flat scren montior too, but I have to say I am not too impressed with it.

I walked into circuit city saw the display and rebate offer and bought it.

I must say I love it. I even got a printer cable that glows!

Thanks again for everyones opinion!