to dual or not to dual?

Well, seein' as BCM is practically upon us, 'tis time for me to get the new mo'board I've been telling meself I'll get for the past year.

I had me heart set on an athlon 600, but upon lookin down the ol' price list I noticed that for the same price I could get meself a dual socket 370 motherboard with all the slots I need and a couple of celeron 500's. It's the ABit Bp6 I think. I know I need win2k for dual processor support, (because I can't play BCM with NT), and if I don't qualify for a student licence on that (I'm graduating in a couple of months) then this whole discussion is academic. I kno it's only got a 2x AGP slot, and I don't mind that, because I'll prolly be getting a G400 max to go with it. I don't want to spend any more than what I've outlined here, it's just a question of which to go for.

(basically I'm looking for good reasons not to go for the dual celeron, otherwise I'll get that)

Come on you computer buffs out there, show us what yer made of! smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Ben Zwycky

GCV Svoboda, ISS08

Adjutant to the Fleet Commander

ISS Fleet Recruiting Officer

Director, CIOPS Directorate of Training and Administration

Initiate - Order of Jade Dragon

ISS Fleet Homepage

GCV Svoboda Homepage

"Nakonec pravda vitezi" (in the end the truth wins)

I'd stay away from Celerons. Also, keep in mind that a dual processor board does _NOT_ mean twice the speed. If the program/application that you are running is not optimized for parallel processing you'll end up with the performance of just one single processor.

If I'm wrong, please someone correct me.

------------------

See you out there, among the stars

Cmdr Nava, GCV Nemesis (Official BC3k tester)

quote:

I'd stay away from Celerons.

*Cries* Why is it I always start hearing these things a few months AFTER I've picked up the given component? Blarghy!

I'm thinking the dual processors just MIGHT be worth it.. of course, you could save up for a few more months and nab a 1Ghz rig as well smile.gif But still, it'd be a nice server machine (assuming you have the supporting RAM and bandwith) and BCM would probably fly with it, since as the SC said, it has support smile.gif When all else fails and you can't come to a decision, just pass down the "What the hell?" variable and go for it... that's what I always do. Of course, that's also how I ended up with this Celeron.. *cough*

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

Chief Engineer, Starstation Destiny

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"Next time you feel like dropping in, keep going untill you get to a river, and THEN drop in." -Jake Logan

Hector,

A friend of mine owns a dual board running two Celeron 400 on some additional interface cards. Works like a charm, at least with Linux. smile.gif

(Btw., I gave him my old BC3K v1.0 including all (paid) patches up to v2.09 for free, and he does not even play it! Grmpf, seems I am not good at public relations! redface.gif He thinks The Game is much too complicated for him! Right he is. biggrin.gif)

Thomas (a.k.a. Gudihl)

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series

Whew, post #400 since Oct. '98 on this forum. wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Thomas Siemens (edited 05-19-2000).]

Guest Remo Williams

Ben I,ve been running a Single 433MHz celeron processor with 128 meg of ram for over a year now it rocks. I've had no problems at all with it in BC3K and think it will do BCM justice also IMO. smile.gif Since BCM supports dual processors it will scream through that system and would be my choice if I were looking to upgrade again. biggrin.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Remo Williams

GCV-Lexington

Prime Fleet

Gamma Wing

1st Squadron, (The Guarddogs)

[This message has been edited by Remo Williams (edited 05-19-2000).]

Thanks for the replies so far, guys smile.gif

Have 256MB of PC100 already bought (found a good deal on that), but that's backwards compatible to 66Mhz. Bandwidth will be a problem as far as being a server is concerned (unless BT openworld turns out to be cheap, and that'll probably not get to my part of the country for a good while frown.gif ). I have a reasonably quick unmetered 56K connection, which I'm not keen to throw away just yet. The main idea with this upgrade was to be ready to run 3020 with no problems performancewise, hence my original plan of an Athlon 600, but it seems I may be able to do better than I planned for the same buck biggrin.gif

Anyone else have any experience I should know about before making my decision, please post away smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Ben Zwycky

GCV Svoboda, ISS08

Adjutant to the Fleet Commander

ISS Fleet Recruiting Officer

Director, CIOPS Directorate of Training and Administration

Initiate - Order of Jade Dragon

ISS Fleet Homepage

GCV Svoboda Homepage

"Nakonec pravda vitezi" (in the end the truth wins)

quote:

BCM supports parallel processing when running under WIN2K.

Are you the first game maker supporting multi processing? You must one of the first if not.

Got to find new mobo with another P3 450 and a new ... wink.gif

------------------

M. Pelletier

ICQ# 7630611

E-Mail: [email protected]