Russians plan permanent Mars station by 2030

I must be honest, I'll be surprised if we even LAST that long! with all the wars and stuff going on. I wouldn't be surprised if a world war 3 broke out by 2010 and wipes out nearly everyone on the face of the earth.. wouldn't surprise me a bit.

The only way to truly achive a goal in space is if we would have world wide peace... never happen.. why? to many trigger happy people and people who don't give a **** about other peoples lives

Sorry to be so negative here.. this is just how I see things turning out.

Now.. It will surprised me if we make it to 2010 without a nuclear wa.... (looks around and notices everyone looking at him) alright nevermind.. I'll shut up...

quote:

Original post by RM
If this is feasable, with foriegn assistance, this could become to the 21st century what the moon landings were to the 20th century - scratch that, if this is pulled off, it will out-do the lunar landings by a looooong way!

Ummm, what I don't understand then is what's the purpose of the international space station. The mars or moon exploration was suppose to be joint ventures with all the countries invovled in constructing the station and that was suppose to be the jumping point for the planned missions to these places. And from what I understood the moon was suppose to be the first to be colonized and that would be jumping off point for Mars due to the fact that it would cost only a fraction of the fuel expenditure compared to the fuel it would take to launch from Earth. Also there are alot of other consideration besides fuel. Like the technology to prevent the long exposure to deep space radiation, the psycholocial issue of the long missions, emergency contingencies that might arrise during the mission (remember apollo 13) etc... etc... etc... If any of you have cable or satalite, check out the Discovery science channel

they air two programs Cosmic Odyssey and Mission Control they air a couple of very good episodes about all of this.

quote:

Original post by DREADA
Well, if it wasn't for Russia's finance, they'd have done it already - you've got a hand it 'em, they don't mess around.

They were the first to kick-start space tourism and they're the kind to get up and go... ask questions later!

And if they keep trying to go it alone, they won't even have a pot to piss in either

quote:

Original quote EPSILON 5
now if the US could stop spending more money on the military and start doing SOMETHING in space beside observing how spiders make webs without gravity...

china .. moonbase by 2010 ... russia ... starpath by 2030 ... USA .. war with whoever's next .

Why not Spiders? The government already used them in drug tests and probably spent millions of dollars doing it SPIDER EXPERIMENT

As for the Chinese and Russian trying to get off this planet maybe it's because they see us coming and are affraid!!

quote:

Original post Kalshion
I must be honest, I'll be surprised if we even LAST that long! with all the wars and stuff going on. I wouldn't be surprised if a world war 3 broke out by 2010 and wipes out nearly everyone on the face of the earth.. wouldn't surprise me a bit.

The sad thing is Americans and the Russians created this dilema during the cold war. Playing off one small country after another and allowing even the most hitler like leader take control of a country if it suited their needs. And now we are left with this legacy of constant war cleaning up the mess of the past.

quote:

Original post DREADA
IMO, world peace is very important and would benefit space exploration no end!!

Just imagine for a second a world where we had resolved the issues that are the major causes of war today (being vague there, I know).....

If only. Every one on this planet knows it. It's amazing this aspect though how it's far more easy to declare war (everyone not just the USA) than it is to declare peace. Blame it on being a fairly new sentient race. We are still plagued by our ancestors primitive minds such as territorialism, greed, corruption, religion and the big one the superiority complex. It's nothing to sneer at either because it is an evolutionary success story for our species. Let's just hope this race lasts long enough to shake off the dust of the past and evolve past all of that.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MIKE113

quote:

How the hell are the Russians going to fund a Mars space station

They just said on the news that they are having trouble paying for the ISS resupply missions now, with the Shuttle program being down! But hey, everybody can dream.

And yeah,lets face it, they need something to look forward to.

There is a way to obtain world peace its a simple solution really. Since we are weak flesh we have the flaws LostInSpace mentioned above (it has nothing to do with the possibility if we looked like a monkey man many years ago)although i dont see religion as a flaw, at any rate We are indeed flawed and thus we will inevitably try to destroy each other... so this is what has to happen, we need a common enemy, something that is not from our world, something alien. With that we would all become human again rather than a seperation of races as our "flawed" minds have come to believe(actually it was God's doing to stop us from createing the tower of babel)... THEN we can unite! and when we are all one we would be unstoppable!!!

but when it comes to USA and Russia its good to have competition because it drives us to take those "great leaps"

quote:

Originally posted by XOR:

There is a way to obtain world peace its a simple solution really. Since we are weak flesh we have the flaws LostInSpace mentioned above (it has nothing to do with the possibility if we looked like a monkey man many years ago)although i dont see religion as a flaw, at any rate We are indeed flawed and thus we will inevitably try to destroy each other... so this is what has to happen, we need a common enemy, something that is not from our world, something alien. With that we would all become human again rather than a seperation of races as our "flawed" minds have come to believe(actually it was God's doing to stop us from createing the tower of babel)... THEN we can unite! and when we are all one we would be unstoppable!!!

but when it comes to USA and Russia its good to have competition because it drives us to take those "great leaps"

Actually, Religion is not a flaw but was a stepping stone to science. It was a way for us early humans to explain the earthly and cosmic events. The problem is that religion grew into a battle with science then and now. Like the notion of an earth centered solar system and the earth is flat etc.. If a scientist said other wise, they'd be fried at the stake no questions asked just a request that they repent and recant their statements. That's where the problem is. It's still going on today with those born again christian astronomer or scientist types. They are not in it for pure science just to find evidence to keep the vestiges of the old alive.

I do agree that competition it is good for everyone. Where would we be today with computers if it wasn't for competition. Probably still playing with pong consoles .

Well the only reason why religion and science were in competition was because of the ignorance of the ppl who were in charge at the time, I see no reason why religion should slow down scientific progress for any reason at all... God says it is our responsibility how we use the resources that he gave to us. Likewise it is our resonsibility to decide whats gonna be good or evil like cloneing for example which has obvious medical benifits but can be morally wrong if you really think about how it all works

And for the sake of christian scientists, I am one and I am in it for the science otherwise I wouldnt be doing the best that I can do at my job, to me space travel would be about the chance to explore a new world and maybe finding something intersting while im there (like aliens!) hopefully nice ones who generously give us their advanced technology with no expectations of anything in return