------------------

Cmdr. Andergum

Spectre Fleet

Pre. comm. Cmdr. New America StarStation

ICV Gummy 1

Official tester of BC3K the series...

Long live the Insurgency!

ICQ # 215323

at the rate we go on that international space station... Probably quite awhile b4 we set up a colony.

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV- Eclipse

Chief Security Officer

Learning is not compulsory... Neither is survival.

Being a relitive expert on Mars I think I'll say that I'm not exactly thinking that the water is a sign for colonization.

Think about this. Water can be converted into useful fuel right? Well a spacecraft takes all they need to get to mars (But not to get back) They refuel on Mars and continue onwards...Then refuel on another planet that contains water like Europa near Jupiter, Neptune, Pluto, now we're travelling to other galexy's! And we're able to return!

Do you see the possibilities for this?!

------------------

AKUMA MINAKO

ORION FLEET

GCV- TENCHI

DETERRENCE BATTLE GROUP

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

"War is the plague of Mankind, created by Mankind."

quote:

They refuel on Mars and continue onwards...Then refuel on another planet that contains water like Europa near Jupiter, Neptune, Pluto, now we're travelling to other galexy's! And we're able to return!

Well, I think you're going a leap too far now with that last. Even for Neil smile.gif Last thing I heard was that the nearest star, our all to familiar Alpha Centauri, is about 4 lightyears away. Consider the fact that (ignoring that 'speed of light' thread from some time ago) light travels at about 300.000 km/sec, or 186.000 miles/sec (correct me if I'm wrong, please). And count the numbers of seconds in a day and the number of days in a year. Multiply and then fall backwards on the back of your head when you look at what distance that star lies. So I think a refuel stop at Pluto will still get us an empty tank before we are out of the solar system.

But we were talking about colonizing or Mars. I think this is a step too far too. Or a bridge if you will. I think I heard of Nasa studies and probes that orbited the moon having detected water on the moon. (Clementine mission???) And also from the rocks that the Appolo gang took back, scientist have said that the moon is rich of very interesting metals and minerals. I believe the moon is a much better place to start. That's where the money can be made in my opinion. True, no atmosphere, but Mars is no picknick either for man. And the moon is a lost closer. Let the space industry mature a bit more before we go around the block

My $0.02,

------------------

Cmdr. Rico 'V_ger' Jansen

GCV-de Ruyter

Prime fleet

Gamma Wing, 16 Squadron Commander

1st Squadron, (The Guarddogs)

"... to boldly show, where no one has gone before"

Well. I'd like to agree, but there is a whole lotta empty space between just us and the closest star, and I don't think we have found any planets with water that close. Not to mention, we still don't have the drives necessary for traveling within our own galaxy much less others.

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV- Eclipse

Chief Security Officer

Agree with who, Eclipse? I think I meant the same thing about interstellar travel.

------------------

Cmdr. Rico 'V_ger' Jansen

GCV-de Ruyter

Prime fleet

Gamma Wing, 16 Squadron Commander

1st Squadron, (The Guarddogs)

"... to boldly show, where no one has gone before"

Guest aramike01

Me no expert, but I do know that no one's gonna be refueling anywhere between Mars and Pluto. All the planets in between are gaseous. Pluto may have water, but I would imagine that significant advances in cryogenics would be required to make something so cold any good for our purposes.

------------------

Cmdr. Michael Kristophers

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, Spectre StarStation

ICV-Intrepid

Recruitment Officer

"You won't get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole!"

I'm not really into star-travel for the sake of "star-trek'ish" sense of exploration and adventure. IMHO, people dont realize that humanity has all its eggs on one basket:Earth. And we are killing the nest.

Colonies should be a top priority now, not those sissy space stations which are nothing more than tokens of "yes we were space race rivals now we just puttin up all that metal in orbit to show off how we can cooperate.. and please, keep MIR clear of any collision course with Freedom" stuff. We have the technology to make a colony on the moon at least, I just dont know why its not being done. *sigh*

Water on other planets in this solar system is a great bonus, specially if Europa or Mars or any stepping-stone rocks contain it..will make colonization much easier.

For those of you interested in manned exploration of Mars, check out the Mars Society located here:

http://www.marssociety.org/

Good information there!

------------------

Cmdr ShoHashi

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, PreComm Crew, StarStation New Frontier

ICV Aries

ICQ 484321

[email protected]

"Attack With Effectiveness"

Rico: if you notice the post times they are min apart. I hadn't seen your post until after my was posted. I was refering to akuma

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV- Eclipse

Chief Security Officer

Why haven't we put a colony on the moon yet? Very simple: not enough public intrest, thus not enough funds for NASA and who-da. But a colony on Luna wouldn't be profitable or get much return on it for many years, because it is enormously expensive to start a cargo run between Earth and Luna. And the colony wouldn't be self-sustaining for bunchs of years, because of atmosophere and such.

But we could do it! Oh well.

Guest aramike01

Whisper brings forth a good point: Money. That's what it's all about. Considering the deterioration of this planet, it seems as though we (humanity) needs a fall-back, as it were. But the moon wouldn't be the best of options, I don't think. No water there means you'd have to constantly supply it's residents from Earth. And the total lack of atmosphere means that there'd be no way to convert some of that C02 into oxygen using floral means. I believe that, given time, a Mars colony would become nearly self-sustaining, whereas a moon colony could not.

But, as Whisper pointed out, it's about money. In order to tap into the neccessary pockets, one most first demonstrate a return. Perhaps they should start with pro-sports leagues? wink.gif

------------------

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Intrepid

Recruitment Officer

"Zero G" basket ball!!! now were talking!! HA! I could finally be like Mike! Or how about a golf couse on the moon, where Tiger Woods could put his tee shots into orbit.

Ah well, maybe we'll see a water "gas station" on Mars in our lifetimes, and mine the asteroid belt... its fun to dream smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Andergum

Spectre Fleet

Pre. comm. Cmdr. New America StarStation

ICV Gummy 1

Official tester of BC3K the series...

Long live the Insurgency!

ICQ # 215323

Guest aramike01

quote:

HA! I could finally be like Mike!

Heh, get in line. biggrin.gif

------------------

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Intrepid

Recruitment Officer

Hmm...Well I can provide you gentlemen with proof of other means of refuling...Mars is one with the water.

In here we have Europa, proof that it's possible to refuel here...We just need the right tools.

http://pauldunn.dynip.com/solarsystem/europa.html

There is a possiblility that there may actually be water on one of Saturns moons as well because of Hemispheres and Atmospheres.

http://pauldunn.dynip.com/solarsystem/saturn.html#Satellites

Now we get colder as we travel to Uranus and her Larger Moons...Which contain ice-water and some gases such as Nitrogen. Once again proper tools will be needed, perhaps robots to gather the water.

http://pauldunn.dynip.com/solarsystem/uranus.html#Satellites

If we develop the technology to harvest gases from the atmospheres of planets, now it's easier for us to travel further. Neptune is rich in Hydrogen...Can we say instant fuel?

http://pauldunn.dynip.com/solarsystem/nept...html#Atmosphere

We'd have to pass Pluto because we would be unable to harvest anything from it's surface... From there we'd journey a little at a time outwards, returning the same way we came, record data and eventually expand to other galaxies. Tell me, sound's a bit logical dosen't it? biggrin.gif

Anyway I'm off to California for a week! See you all in awhile!

------------------

AKUMA MINAKO

ORION FLEET

GCV- TENCHI

DETERRENCE BATTLE GROUP

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

"War is the plague of Mankind, created by Mankind."

[This message has been edited by Akuma Minako (edited 06-27-2000).]