New Military Weapons

Did a search and didn't find mention of this anywere so I think I'm safe. Well here are some new toys for the Military. I was watching the Science Channel and a program titled "Wild Tech" and they highlighted two military toys.

How Military Pain Beams Will Work

US firm develops sonic bullet guns

Think of what you can do in a torture room with personal devices like these.

quote:

Originally posted by MIKE113:

I like this for now.

That rifle appears to be alot more Mattie Mattel than the M-16.

While it may be true that the XM-8 has fewer flaws, from the makers' description, I'm sure the weapon has it's own flaws.

I haven't seen a combat rifle that didn't.

As long as you know what those flaws are, they can be dealt with.

In Basic training I was issued an AR-15, converted to an M-16. When I read the Manufacturer stamp on the side of it, I was surprised and a little apprehensive. The majority of weapons issued in our training Company were made by Colt.

Mine was made by the Hydramatic division of General Motors. The weapon only jammed on me one time and it wasn't because of fouling. It was a faulty blank round that got stuck in the chamber.

Locking the bolt and slamming the rifle butt first on a table cleared it quickly.

The only serious problem I saw with the M-16 was the cleaning tools. The bore rod sections were cheap and had a tendency to splay on the female threaded end, making them prone to becoming stuck in the bore.

One troopie did this and didn't tell the Armorer.

The Armorer also failed in his job too, because every weapon is required to be checked when turned in.

So, we're out on a live fire range and this Troopie locks and loads and fires for effect. The only effect he got was what is called "Pop-No Kick"

Luckily a drill Instructor was standing right there and started screaming at this guy to ground his weapon. He was then dragged from the fox hole by his helmet and the range was cleared.

It was a good thing he didn't fire a second round. Cooking off a magazine is not healthy for anyone in the general vicinity.

The rifle was found to have a section of cleaning rod stuck in it along with a 5.56mm round.

When the kid was cleaning the weapon and the rod got stuck, he simply unscrewed the sections that were protruding from each end and he failed to notice that he was missing a section and never checked the bore for obstructions. Neither did the Armorer. I'm, not sure but I think they both received an Article 15 and the Troopie paid for a new barrel.

The M-16 Assault rifle contains numerous parts, some are rather small and easily lost. The thing is a bear to clean too. But, don't go by what the H&K guys say, All AR-15s have been converted and when it comes to the parts that count, they are all interchangeable between weapons. In the bush.

Now, imagine you're on the battlefield with an XM-8 and the laser sight battery goes dead.

Your Armorer is back in his bivouac tent messing about with all the pieces to this weapon and you are either in a defensive position or out on a move to contact patrol and it's going to be some time before you see the bivouac to get your weapon repaired.

Laser sights can be factory zeroed to the weapon but, will it still be zeroed if switched to another in the middle of a fire fight?

I'm sure Aberdeen will put that toy through the wringer before sending it out for issue.

I will be following it with great interest.

I would rather have one of those Space Marine Assault Rifles that were in the second ALIEN movie Or that shoulder mounted pivoting Machine gun."Death on a Stick"

Know what?

No, What?

Want to stop Terrorist hijackings?

Yeah! How?

Simple....

Issue every passenger a small plastic pistol loaded with rubber bullets, dipped in Hogs blood.

Or, some Swine filled Mace cans.

quote:

Originally posted by Wolferz:

quote:

I like this for now.

...snip...

I agree 100%, they look like great new toys, but the M-16, even with it's "problems" is a great weapon. I sure liked mine, and the cleaning stuff you brought up is indeed true. CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP!!

Anyway, I wouldn't mind having one of these as a personal weapon to add to my collection, just to have a high tech toy, but I would rather have a nice bolt action 30-06 at my side, then an assault rifle. Reliable as heck, ammunition easy to come by, and EASILY cleaned.

Assault weapons are fun to have, fun to shoot, but are A: hard to clean B: can be easily jammed,C: are complicated with MANY moving parts, and D: fully automatic weapons are a waste of ammunition. One shot is really all you should need.

An automatic weapon is basically to keep the enemies head down while your buddies make a move in thier direction. It is for cover, and every platoon should have at least 2 fully automatic weapons just for that purpose, but otherswise, give me a nice 30-06 bolt action rifle with mechanical or monocular sites and I am a happy camper.

The 3 weapons that should be had by all are the following.

1: 30-06 or other bolt action rifle, stock etc made with carbon or lightweight material,with mechanical or monocular sites 2: a 12 gauge shotgun with various chokes, again made with composite or other lightweight material, and 3: A .32 caliber pistol or above, whatever the particular person is comfortable with.

Those, as far as I am concerned are the must have weapons for anyone who might need to be in any type of defensive situation.

The military likes their assault rifles, but a platoon armed with the above and 2 fully automatic .60 cals with the same training, could take out a platoon armed only with the m-16, in my opinion.

Or Ahnold armed with 2 .60 cals. ROTFLMAO everytime I see one of those fake Super Trooper movies, especially the ones where a Super Troopie is mowing peeps down with a .60 and he has both hands on the weapon. Right hand on trigger and stock grip. Left hand wrapped firmly around the Fore grip. Nothing like the 'ol M-60 hand Barbecue, eh?

quote:

Or Ahnold armed with 2 .60 cals. ROTFLMAO everytime I see one of those fake Super Trooper movies, especially the ones where a Super Troopie is mowing peeps down with a .60 and he has both hands on the weapon. Right hand on trigger and stock grip. Left hand wrapped firmly around the Fore grip. Nothing like the 'ol M-60 hand Barbecue, eh?

LOL, got that right.

The M-60's I fired were either on a bipod, or mounted to a Vehicle, although most of the vehicle mounted ones were 50 cals, but that is a whole other beasty.

The Rambo and arnold with a 60 cal in their hands and shooting it with one arm just about set me to laughing, because even built like that, those things will knock you around with just the recoil of one bullet, let alone a whole chain of them, and if you are going to keep shooting at a target, you better have the thing tied down to something.

Everytime I view one of those movies,everyone in the room wonders why I'm ROTFLMAO.

During M-60 training at Ft LostintheWoods, When I started firing that weapon, in a prone position, I was being pushed backwards until my feet were hanging off the edge of the wooden platform we were laying on.

But I filled the open hatch of one of several APC's they had parked down range.

My belt feeder said, "Whew! Glad I'm not in there!" I said, "Fudge that, just hold me down!"

• 3 weeks later...

Advanced Tactical Laser (ATL)

Electric Warship Heralds Evolution in Weapon Technologies In this article, there is mention of an Electro Magnetic Railgun the projectile will be 3 feet long and 40 pounds and will be launched at Mach7.

"McGinnisÔÇÖ office also is working on a rail gun that could draw powerful pulses of electricity from a modified IPS/electric drive system to launch projectiles. Propellant is not needed in the rail gun concept because clean electricity launches each round down a rail or through a magnetic coil. The speed with which a rail gunÔÇÖs projectiles travel may deliver thousands of times the kinetic force of a conventional artillery shell, making explosive warheads unnecessary"

BTW: These can also be found in Popular Science June 2004 Volume 264 #6. There's also an article about Super Caviating Torpedoes in this issue. I could not find anything on a web search about this.

quote:

Originally posted by LostInSpace:

In this article, there is mention of an Electro Magnetic Railgun the projectile will be 3 feet long and 40 pounds and will be launched at Mach7.

"McGinnisÔÇÖ office also is working on a rail gun that could draw powerful pulses of electricity from a modified IPS/electric drive system to launch projectiles. Propellant is not needed in the rail gun concept because clean electricity launches each round down a rail or through a magnetic coil. The speed with which a rail gunÔÇÖs projectiles travel may deliver thousands of times the kinetic force of a conventional artillery shell, making explosive warheads unnecessary"

BTW: These can also be found in Popular Science June 2004 Volume 264 #6. There's also an article about Super Caviating Torpedoes in this issue. I could not find anything on a web search about this.

And people say that Star Wars by Reagan was a failure... WRONGO!!

These weapons are the DIRECT result of the R&D that has been put into the Missile defense system.

• 1 month later...

quote:

At the same Air Force Research Laboratory in New Mexico, researchers working with Raytheon Co. have developed a weapon called the Active Denial System, which repels adversaries by heating the water molecules in their skin with microwave energy. The pain is so great that people flee immediately.

"It just feels like your skin is on fire,"

Ouch, cooking you alive.

quote:

Originally posted by jamotto:

quote:

At the same Air Force Research Laboratory in New Mexico, researchers working with Raytheon Co. have developed a weapon called the Active Denial System, which repels adversaries by heating the water molecules in their skin with microwave energy. The pain is so great that people flee immediately.

"It just feels like your skin is on fire,"

Ouch, cooking you alive.

OK, don't know if this is true or not, but MANY people have repeated this story, and one of them said that he was a witness.

OK, here goes, the navy was experimenting with Microwave communication, they would use the microwave for ship to ship secure communications.

A microwave antenna was attached to the side of the deck of and aircraft carrier, and was pointed right across a walkway. A crewman walked in fron of the microwave antenna while it was transmitting and fell over dead. The microwave energy cooked his brain.

This is one of the myriad happenings that convinced engineers that microwaves could be used to heat food.

Like I said, probably one of those urban legends, but I thought it sounded at least plausible...LOL

And cooking you alive is right, and the possible long term damage such a weapon would cause would be just catastrophic. The fact is that microwaves cook from the inside out, so as your skin is burning, your muscle is ALSO cooking, and the scarring of tissue that can result from such things is too gruesome to even think about....UGH!!!

quote:

I find it amusing, that this is being advertised as a NEW, technological advance, by (Raytheon) a military contractor.

This is OLD technology, which underwent development during the late 1970's, and actively researched, by the private sector,into the early 1980's. Only to be condemned by the U.S. government, as "INHUMANE" and impractical.

Microwave, or "MASER", hand held pistols, and rifles were DECLASSIFIED in 1982. The concept,(and pattens) have been around since the early 1950's.

We built a SONIC pistol, in college, as a class project. This was done in 1976. This too was considered "INHUMANE", as permanant hearing loss, could be induced above 100dbs

[ 08-04-2004, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: street ]

• 4 weeks later...

quote:

Bah, non-lethal tech is worthless, if a croud of protesters gets violent, just mow them down I say.

Yeah, COMMUNIST RED CHINA, tends to agree with your solution....as DID the American National Guard, at Kent State University!....

I prefer, more RATIONAL solutions, by people, who LIKE the AMERICAN WAY!

Just my humble opinion

quote:

Originally posted by Jaguar:

quote:

quote:

I like this for now.

...snip...

I agree 100%, they look like great new toys, but the M-16, even with it's "problems" is a great weapon. I sure liked mine, and the cleaning stuff you brought up is indeed true. CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP!!

Anyway, I wouldn't mind having one of these as a personal weapon to add to my collection, just to have a high tech toy, but I would rather have a nice bolt action 30-06 at my side, then an assault rifle. Reliable as heck, ammunition easy to come by, and EASILY cleaned.

Assault weapons are fun to have, fun to shoot, but are A: hard to clean B: can be easily jammed,C: are complicated with MANY moving parts, and D: fully automatic weapons are a waste of ammunition. One shot is really all you should need.

An automatic weapon is basically to keep the enemies head down while your buddies make a move in thier direction. It is for cover, and every platoon should have at least 2 fully automatic weapons just for that purpose, but otherswise, give me a nice 30-06 bolt action rifle with mechanical or monocular sites and I am a happy camper.

The 3 weapons that should be had by all are the following.

1: 30-06 or other bolt action rifle, stock etc made with carbon or lightweight material,with mechanical or monocular sites 2: a 12 gauge shotgun with various chokes, again made with composite or other lightweight material, and 3: A .32 caliber pistol or above, whatever the particular person is comfortable with.

Those, as far as I am concerned are the must have weapons for anyone who might need to be in any type of defensive situation.

The military likes their assault rifles, but a platoon armed with the above and 2 fully automatic .60 cals with the same training, could take out a platoon armed only with the m-16, in my opinion.

I like the M-16 myself. In basic I got one that the upper and lower recievers wobbled around like it was about to fall apart... HOWEVER. I was stuck with my civilian glasses (2 years old)... zeroed my rifle, and I can hit the 300 meter target (As long as I can get into a comfortable prone...) And thee 300m target looks like a period sized (.) green dot to me. With a weapon that felt like it was going to rattle apart whenever I was just holding it... it sure ripped a new one for the unlucky target. And bolt action doesn't cut it if you miss that first shot. Not when I can make a follow up shot hit its mark.

Of course, when the going gets tough, I plop my @ss down a mile and a half away with a Barret M-82 sniper rifle and see who I want to split in half first. No assault rifle in the world can help you when that fifty cal antimaterial round rips through the wall, your body armor, you, and the guy behind you.