Cassini-Huygens Mission to Saturn

• 4 weeks later...

Snagging from LostInSpace's link

quote:

Kevin Baines, a member of the visual and infrared spectrometer team, said scientists were disappointed that they hadn't seen evidence of liquids through reflections of sunlight on smooth surfaces of the moon.

"We thought we'd see some flashes, and we haven't seen any. So we're a little perplexed," he said after a news conference at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena.

Got 'em perplexed it does.

quote:

Near-infrared images of Titan prompted scientists to question previous theories about the moon's surface. They had thought brighter areas of the moon were thick layers of ice and darker areas were a mixture of substances including hydrocarbons, but they said it appears the opposite is true.

Many more fly by's to go though.

quote:

I read somewhere, that the surface environment from Casinni looked like a half melted icecream sundae.

That's in the CNN article as well as the Yahoo! AP article I read. I think it's a quote from one of the guys.

One of the neater things to mee is that Titan is big enough to be a planet "in it's own right". (another stolen quote but a common phrase) Which leads to the debate on what defines a planet and what do you call everything. Don't know if we have discussed that before but there are several article out there. Neat stuff.

• 4 weeks later...