internet worries

Guys I need help. About a month ago I began having serious problems getting on line. My dial up service would actualy dial the acess number, but there would be no accompanying modem tone. After a few minutes a messsage saying connection failed would appear. After three days, five calls to AOL tech support, nothing they did helped.

I then decded to switch to a DSL. I got my westell 2200 modem followed the onscreen directions and ...got the message connection failed.More tech support calls to Verizon and after trying everything finally disabling my ethernet card and trying to connect using the USB port. still no luck.

What could be causing me connection problems in the telephone line, USB hub and the ethernet port? Can anyone help me? I have no internet access at home and until 3 july am paying both Verizon and AOL. HELP!

One of two things that I can think of off the top of my head.

1) Like Freyar said, it could be your phone lines.

2) I've got a westell, are you sure you set it up right (It was a pain in the ass to set up).

3) Trojan Horse.. Got an AV?

It sounds to me like its number one. When you hook the DSL modem up to your ethernet card do any of the lights come on, and what brand/make is it?

On your DSL modem, is the ready light blinking, or solid? Finally, have you checked your computer for spyware lately?

Ok, it sounds like it failing the authentication then... Verizon's tech support should have been able to figure this out.

Call them and get the setup IP for your Westell, see if they'll help you manually set it up as well. Also, double-check with them that your username and password are correct, and that they didn't do any weird caps or what not.

Verizon has told me that the IP address is not being read or recognized. They talked me thru reseting the ip address to no avail. They have suggested I replace my ethernet card/network adapter.I still dont know how that would make it so the dial up and usb could or couldnt connect. What could affect all three ways to access the internet?

I had a very similar problem with my modem line.

There used to be two lines in my house. One for house calls and the other for personal modem use. It was great for a long while until I started having sporadic connection problems. The early stages included not being able to connect, authentication problems, and being disconnected at random times. The later stages were when I did not even have a dial tone on the modem line. I would have to switch over to the house line which never had any problems and was part of the same phone company. I would call them up to see whats up and they would tell me you have to switch wires around inside the wall... but it worked fine before. Not quite sure what was happening to my modem line to this day, but it seemed like a lot of unnecessary bs was going on with the phone company.

Personally, I have had alot of phone line issues regarding the internet. I heard high speed internet (cable) was very good in the area I live and I have since then switched and dropped the modem line. There have been no issues thus far for over a year now.

How many lines do you have?

Did Verizon check lines in your house or on the box?

Do you know any one in your neighborhood with high speed internet connections (cable)?

Race, please add a complete listing of your system specs and I'll try ro assist you. I used to be a telephone Tech support guy for Verizon and I'm sad to say they suck!

At present, if you are calling verizon DSL tech support, you are most likely going to get a person who barely passed the simplified computer knowledge exam, given by the 3rd party contractor that Verizon uses.And this person will be half trained and clueless.

During my time performing the job I was literally dumbfounded by the blatant lack of knowledge amongst my peers.

At the end I had to quit to preserve my sanity.

I was not only taking calls from PC clueless customers and fixing their problems, but was also assisting other tech reps with their calls.

/ramble mode off.

Now, a complete Spec Sheet on your equipment would help me help you.

Oh and first things first.. Get AOhelL off your PC. Verizon is using the PPOE authentication method, AOL's garbage tends to muscle it out.

Wolfie thanks! After getting rid of Aol, I tried again no dice. I then did a hardware check thru settings which indicated a problem with the network adapter card. I got a Belkin 10/100 ethernet card and installed it and the WIN98 drivers and was up and running in no time.

quote:

Originally posted by Race Bannon IV:

Wolfie thanks! After getting rid of Aol, I tried again no dice. I then did a hardware check thru settings which indicated a problem with the network adapter card. I got a Belkin 10/100 ethernet card and installed it and the WIN98 drivers and was up and running in no time.

Happy to be of service

Where can I send the bill?

When I was phone teching I was highly surprised at the number of customers who were having troubles and still had the training wheels on their internet connection. Some were leary of removing AOL's garbage, which has a nasty tendency of holding the TCP/IP stack hostage and not allow any other connection drivers to use it.

It's the old "Shane, come back" syndrome.

I have perused a report by former AOL coders who said the company uses deeply embedded spyware.

The kind that would allow any top AOL executive the ability to snoop through your hard drive while you are connected.

I dismissed that rumor as urban legend but, better safe than sorry.

And I see that Verizon supplied you with one of their Chinee special NICs eh?

Race, you referred to a USB Hub?

Are you networking other PCs in the house through the computer that has the DSL modem on it?

If so, that is a very awkward method of doing so and will slow down your host considerably.

I would recommend getting a Cable/DSL Router.

LinkSYS makes a very good one that almost sets itself up. Radio Shack sells them for around $40.00.

It will serve as a hardware firewall for everything on your LAN and double as a DHCP addresser.

Ill pick it up later as my second pc is to antiquated to take advantage of a broadband connection.( 533mhz Celeron with 32mb)

I'm still holding out for the wife to spring for an Area 51 for Xmas