The Genesis Payload: Just How Dangerous are its Contents?

jamotto

LIS, that would have been too logical. Perhaps building a retriever(small drone) and leaving it at the space station, for various remote operations. I mean, what problem is there in throwing a few million in that direction, seeing as how many many millions, are lost; due to the lack of appropriate backup measures. Even NASA's loss of the shuttle, may have been avoided. It's NOT, as if, there is not enough foreknowledge, for them to take such steps. Sometimes, I question NASA's complete lack of common sense in these matters.

Genesis Space Capsule Crashes Into Desert

quote:

The impact drove the capsule halfway underground. NASA engineers feared the explosive for the parachute might still be alive and ready to fire, keeping helicopter crews at bay.

"That presents a safety hazard to recovery crews," said Chris Jones, solar system exploration director for NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory

The copters were supposed to snatch the capsule's parachute with a hook as it floated down at 400 feet a minute, or more than 6 feet per second. But the capsule tumbled out of control. It was supposed to be spinning at 15 revolutions a minute to slice evenly through the atmosphere, but camera images showed it tumbling instead.

I don't think anything went right for them.

quote:

At the press conference they said it hit around 190/200mph!!

Previously they said it was going to hit the ground at 9 mph with the chute, and that was enough to make the samples unusable.

Now they claim, the samples may still be good?

The article I read this morning said it hit at speeds in excess of 100 mph. Man, this is irritating, when you dont know what is ACTUAL.

the good ole days, before the INTERNET, and the "information age", one could comfortably accept that the information presented, had some credibility.

Now, (what is termed as FACT), can be so far stretched to extremes, from day to day..and sometimes from hour to hour.....one finds it hard to know WHICH fact has any resemblance to reality.

This has become incredibly evident, the last 3 or 4 years.

Oh well, back to the old addage: " I believe NOTHING I hear, and only HALF of that, which I see with my own eyes!

quote:

Originally posted by street:

quote:

At the press conference they said it hit around 190/200mph!!

Previously they said it was going to hit the ground at 9 mph with the chute, and that was enough to make the samples unusable.

Now they claim, the samples may still be good?

The article I read this morning said it hit at speeds in excess of 100 mph. Man, this is irritating, when you dont know what is ACTUAL.

the good ole days, before the INTERNET, and the "information age", one could comfortably accept that the information presented, had some credibility.

Now, (what is termed as FACT), can be so far stretched to extremes, from day to day..and sometimes from hour to hour.....one finds it hard to know WHICH fact has any resemblance to reality.

This has become incredibly evident, the last 3 or 4 years.

Oh well, back to the old addage: " I believe NOTHING I hear, and only HALF of that, which I see with my own eyes!

The problem is that it's "We got the news first on that incident" Media. Even though, 95% of the information is wrong. But then, that gives them a couple more air time slots or print slots to fill for the story as they correct the information. You just gotta wait for a day to get the right figures.

Actually on top of the space station idea maybe they should have had a couple of choppers hanging around with nets instead of hooks just in case the chute didn't open so they can at least give a shot at scooping it out of the air. Even at that speed it would have been worth the attempt.

Well, we will cross our fingers and hope that the disks can be saved.

There were a billion billion atoms as they say, and hopefully they will be able to pick the solar atoms out of the desert sand atoms.

But hitting the ground at 193 miles an hour, cannot be real good for the structure of those disks.

Just another example of "It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end."