Firefox - The Next Generation browser

If you haven't made the leap yet, now would be a really good time to do so. I have since dumped Netcaptor, Maxthon and Opera (no, I never use IE, ever) in favor of Firefox.

Switching to Firefox made easy.

My current list of extensions:

Googlebar 0.9.029

AdBlock

Linkification

Resize Search Box

GooglePreview

Disable Targets For Download

DictionarySearch

Favorites Converter

Image Zoom

IEview

Print It!

A9 Toolbar

Been using Firfox for about 9 months. I love it!!! It has Internet Explorer beat by a mile. Unfortunately, I still need to use Internet Explorer for some web sites that have apps that do not run with Firefox. Thanks for your list of extensions SC. I've added several of your selections: IEView, Googlebar, etc.

[ 11-04-2004, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: quantum ]

Any reason you dropped Opera SC? There seems to be a big trend of people dropping Opera as of late; don't really see why, Opera works almost exactly the same except for the extensions.

quote:

All I use IE for is website testing to make sure it looks right and works.

I don't even support IE for websites I make anymore. It's no longer the "compatible" browser; when netscape wasn't considered "compatible" people refused to use it. I just prefer sending people to a website telling them to upgrade their browser or look at the crummy "lite" page. Getting IE to work properly with CSS2 isn't worth my time.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr. WeeGee:

Any reason you dropped Opera SC? There seems to be a big trend of people dropping Opera as of late; don't really see why, Opera works almost exactly the same except for the extensions.

Its not even close to working the same as Firefox. Opera is bloated, highly incompatible with a LOT of websites (e.g. it won't run ActiveX and other server side scripts) etc. Like Netcaptor, I paid for Opera and ended up dumping it once Firefox started becoming more stable. I just got tired of the problems that both Opera and Netcaptor (my first browser switch from IE) with most websites and their on-going bloat, incompatibilities etc.

My only complaint with Firefox atm is that compatible extensions take a while to be developed. e.g. I upgraded to 1.0RC2 yesterday and the GoogleBar and DictionarySearch extensions are no longer compatible; so I have to wait for updates.

quote:

Originally posted by Has:

What browser do you guys recommend for P-III 850 256MHz (not upgradeble) laptop? I┬┤m using IE6 and was wondering if Opera or Firefox are less demanding on resources.

I'm not sure resources should be your primary concern in a traditional sense. Its more a question of security vs. compatibility. Nothing is going to be more compatible than IE itself. But on the other hand, Firefox does a better job keeping malware off your system (from what I hear). So if this crap that gets installed on your system is allowed to live undetected, then it will certainly have a detrimental effect on system performance. As well as your private information. I personally, continue to use IE but keep a close eye on malware using various tools, i.e. router/NAT, Kerio personal firewall, AVG (anti-virus), ad-aware (Lavasoft) and Spybot Search and Destroy.

As a previous paid owner and user of Opera, I have to say that I have NO idea what you're talking about Nomad. I have zero crashes with Firefox. It is conventionally faster and more streamlined than Opera - which happens to be bloated beyond belief and is far more incompatible with more websites than Firefox.

But, as they say, to each his own; go with what works for you. For me, now that - while not perfect - Firefox is where is should be, I'm never looking back. Ever.

And so at last the beast fell and the unbelievers rejoiced. But all was not lost, for from the ash rose a great bird. The bird gazed down upon the unbelievers and cast fire and thunder upon them. For the beast had been reborn with its strength renewed, and the followers of Mammon cowered in horror.

from The Book of Mozilla, 7:15

• 1 month later...

quote:

Originally posted by nomad:

The guy made a few good points. However, would he take the time to analyze IE with the same pertinence as he did with Firefox, he could write an encyclopedia about incoherences & bugs instead of a little article like this one. On top we are asked to believe that the fact that he works for MS did not affect his views...

Exactly.

quote:

There is no secure software without 3 premises:

1) You get the soft in source code.

2) You analyze ALL the code.

3) You generate & install executables yourself.

And I always get mad when someone suggests this. Yes it would be secure, but it is impractical to the point of uselessness.

1. You credit Joe User with too much patience and/or intelligence and/or technical savvy to accomplish #3.

2. How do you know some hack didn't write a trojan into the source code? (I could do that.) Oh, thats what #2 is for. How many Joe User's are competant at that? How many Joe Programmer's who are competant would read a million lines of code to analyze for bugs? I am, I could, and I wouldn't (unless I was paid to) -- I have better things to do with my time like playing UC, thank you very much...

I've seen Firefox, and tried it. Tabbed browsing nice. Seems slower than IE. Seems a bit less stable too on some of the web applications we try to run.

An impressive version 1, at any rate. But still not quite enough incentive for me to switch away from IE. Maybe in another version or two (and the incorporation of some of the "extensions" into the codebase) I'll change my mind.

[ 12-23-2004, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Joel Schultz ]

• 1 month later...

I LOVE this browser!!! Anyway, enough with the fanboi stuff.

Teen Helps Build Firefox Web Browser

Firefox hits 20 million downloads

quote:

Firefox, the open-source browser which only went 1.0 in November, has this morning hit 20 million downloads. At the time of writing, the site's download counter reads "20,001,054" - it's currently averaging anything from 210,000 to 270,000 downloads every day.

Asa Dotzler, from the Mozilla Foundation, said: "In seventy six days, more than sixty three thousand of you have joined the effort to deliver Firefox 1.0 to more than twenty million thankful users - you all are simply amazing! You all have demonstrated that open source community can be powerful, committed, and capable of accomplishing once-unimaginable feats."

Figures show that 1.1 million people downloaded v1.0 on the day of its release. Download figures also rose to around 300,000 a day for the two days after an advert for the browser appeared in the New York Times. The download rate has remained fairly steady since the middle of November. v1.1 of Firefox is expected later this year.

A few days after I downloaded this on my comp in my dorm, my mom calls and says she found a free ISP, Firefox. She isn't tech savvy, so I told her she was incorrect and that Firefox is actually like IE, but better since it is targeted less from hackers and thus more secure.

• 3 months later...

ZDnet: IBM backs Firefox in-house

quote:

IBM is encouraging its employees to use Firefox, aiding the open-source Web browser's quest to chip away at Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

Firefox is already used by about 10 percent of IBM's staff, or about 30,000 people. Starting Friday, IBM workers can download the browser from internal servers and get support from the company's help desk staff.

for any Firefox users I hope you upgraded.

quote:

San Francisco (InfoWorld) - The Mozilla Foundation has released a security patch to plug two security flaws in its popular Firefox browser.

The flaws were found last week by security firm Secunia who deemed them "extremely critical." Mozilla recommends users upgrade to the latest version, Firefox 1.0.4, which is primarily a security update.

Earlier this week, Secunia announced it had found several security flaws in the browser. According to Secunia, two vulnerabilities found in the increasingly popular browser can be exploited to conduct cross-site scripting attacks and compromise a user's PC. Cross-site scripting (also known as XSS) occurs when a Web application gathers malicious data from a user. Many security experts have speculated that, as Firefox gains in popularity, it too will be hit by hackers much like Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

Firefox is Microsoft's main rival in the browser market. Since launching late last year, Firefox has had more than 50 million downloads.

IE has an 88.9 percent share of the browser market, according to net monitoring company WebSideStory, whereas Firefox's share is 6.8 percent. Microsoft plans to release a more secure version of IE this summer.

Link