Exclusive: Multi-Publisher Legal War Looms Over 3-D Patent

Yea this whole thing is just rubbish. God help us if they actually affirm this patent in court; I'd hate to have to pay royalties just to make a bloody 3-D model in my OOp II Class. (Yes, we're learning OpenGL and D3D... I don't know why they didn't seperate that into a different class, don't ask.)

Chances it'll just get shot down in court for being too general though.

It's not that it's too general, it's the fact that they actually received the patent. What kind of bs is that? I mean come on, next thing you know they are going to patent fork that has five prongs instead of four saying it can hook things better, or something else that's completly common sense and a natural way for things to evolve and develop.

I mean a 3d is just that 3d, they didn't invent any software program that publishers used to code objects in 3d, they just described the way things look in 3d. Whoever granted that patent is a complete and utter moron.

Maybe I will patent inhaling and exhailing, I'll just write it down, describe it and send it in, and when it gets approved I will sue everyone for royalties for breathing.

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

Maybe I will patent inhaling and exhailing, I'll just write it down, describe it and send it in, and when it gets approved I will sue everyone for royalties for breathing.

given some of the patents that have been granted you might just be able to do that

I can sort of understand why they would make a patent for it at the time, but 3d graphics are so widespread now they can't actually expect people to pay royalties.

You hit the nail right on the head Soback too! They explained 3d. 3-Dimensional art has been made for years, who says that 3-Dimensional graphics are any different? The patent office is broken; somebody within the past 20 years hasn't been doing their job.

This kind of patent really limits technology as well. People really need to rethink the reasons why they're getting a patent before they apply for one. Of course, if you're going to do something like this patent your obviously after the money. Abuse of Patents is becoming too common, as is abuse of most anything these days.

It wouldn't suprise me if you sent in inhaling and exhaling and got a denial with the reason listed that its already patented.

Holy crud, this sounds like pretty much what anything using OpenGL or D3D is doing when you use model and viewport transformation matrixes. And probably every other 3D API ever invented too (3DFX).

This goes way beyond games. This sounds like ANYONE using 3D and who includes the ability to view the object from different angles.

If it gets to court. Bet they end up wasting some millions settling instead.

Sometimes I think it would be nice if, instead of settling, someone would say, "Forget the cheap way out, I'm ripping these guys a new one in court!" Sounds like something up SC's alley, huh?

Of course, it's not my money my wishful thinking is using...