Question about Electrical Plug Types

A relative of mine has two dryers (I am assuming they are 220 volt based on the description of the plug). Both have two (hot leg) 45 deg angled prongs. The neutral on each one is different. One has the standard (the one I'm use to seeing) and the other has a V shaped prong. Does anyone know what the V or L shaped neutral prong type is and is it 220? Thanks for any help with this

Here's a pic of the standard one I'm use to seeing type I or H

Edit: title

[ 01-14-2005, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: Cmdr Chavik ]

LIS, Both of those plugs are 220, and both are used with dryers, the flat all the way around is normally used for Dryers, and the one with the V is normally used for Ovens, but you will see both in dryer installations, depending on who installed the socket and which socket was cheaper at the time.... LOL

The flat all the way around is the more numerous one you will see.

I have had to change the power cable on my dryer twice, because when I moved, the socket was the other one. So I now have one of each, that way I am never wrong....

[ 01-15-2005, 02:23 AM: Message edited by: Jaguar ]

quote:

Originally posted by Jaguar:

1: LIS, Both of those plugs are 220, and both are used with dryers, the flat all the way around is normally used for Dryers, and the one with the V is normally used for Ovens, but you will see both in dryer installations, depending on who installed the socket and which socket was cheaper at the time.... LOL

The flat all the way around is the more numerous one you will see.

2: I have had to change the power cable on my dryer twice, because when I moved, the socket was the other one. So I now have one of each, that way I am never wrong....

1: Hah, that's funny my nephew said something along those lines about the different plugs. He was blaming the dryer company saying they probably put that V shaped plug on it because they were the only source for the V shaped outlet the plug can go in. I think I've rubbed off on him.

2:This way you got all the bases covered.

Great, thanks for the info. I was pretty sure that the one with the all flat prongs was 220v but wasn't sure what the deal was about the one V shaped prong. They've got two dryers one with a newly busted plug (the all flat prongs don't know how they busted it don't remember the model of it) and the another one I do believe they said it was a Whirlpool imperial seventy dryer that had the V shaped prong and they called me up to ask about this plug and what the voltage of it was (even though I told them it should be listed somewhere on the dryer) since I do know more than them about electrical stuff. But I did tell them it was 220v.

Don't know why they've got two dryers. Maybe they wanted to cover all the bases also and did it the hard way of having two dryers with two different plugs instead of your way and just keeping an extra wire with the alternate plug on it. I'll ask them about that and let ya know.

BTW: Thanks to whoever fixed my typo in the topic header.

Oh, and when you change the wire, make sure that it's UNPLUGGED!!! LOL

It's actually NOT funny, because a guy I know, yeah, hate to admit that, actually unscrewed the wire from the back of the dryer WHILE IT WAS PLUGGED IN, he had 3rd degree burns, and he was tossed into the wall REAL HARD.....

He was hospitalized for 3 weeks...

220 HURTs, and HURTS BAD!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Jaguar:

Oh, and when you change the wire, make sure that it's UNPLUGGED!!! LOL

It's actually NOT funny, because a guy I know, yeah, hate to admit that, actually unscrewed the wire from the back of the dryer WHILE IT WAS PLUGGED IN, he had 3rd degree burns, and he was tossed into the wall REAL HARD.....

He was hospitalized for 3 weeks...

220 HURTs, and HURTS BAD!!!

Uh oh, hmmm, I haven't heard from them since I last talked with 'em about this.

Yeah, I can imagine. I've been jolted by 120 a few times I can only imagine what 220 is like. 3 weeks in the hospital ouch.