Chain Gun Video

Guest DocHoliday

I assume DU is still radioactive, so after the target is effectively obliterated, it is also now radioactive? Which is basically an added bonus in warefare..

Is this allowed though? (appart from the fact that in war anything goes) Because in a way it IS a nuclear weapon then...

quote:

Originally posted by DocHoliday:

[QB] I assume DU is still radioactive, so after the target is effectively obliterated, it is also now radioactive? Which is basically an added bonus in warefare..

Yes and No, DU emits Alpha, Beta and Gamma radiation, However it is mostly an Alpha radiation emitter. This can be blocked by skin, paper, etc. The Beta radiation can supposedly be stoped by the battle dress utility uniform. DU is a weak Gamma emitter to the point It could be ignored. The main hazard is if you inhale particles from DU.

Guest DocHoliday

Ah okay. Sounds like an effective measure to get rid of nuclear waste though.

Another questions: what happened to neutron bombs that were talked a lot about in the past. As far as I remember they were supposed to be more effective than nukes, because the neutron chain reaction would basically destabilize the molecules in your body, effectively killing you, but would leave the whole infrastructure (all non-living things) in pretty much the same shape.

What happened with this? Was the reaction too difficult to contain? Or to difficult to start? Becaues for terrorist-type ground bunkers, a neutron blast would be perfect.

Cheers,

Janez

The main thing about DU Ammo is the armor piercing ability. After it has pierced the armor is where the real nastiness begins. The depleted uranium rods within the round become molten from the friction of passing through the armor and the inside of the target is literally sprayed with molten uranium and all of the metal involved. Both the shell jacket and the armor it pierced. The occupants of a tank are instantly burned to death. The radioactive particles distributed from the smoke of the ensueing fire will settle into the surrounding dirt, making it radioactive also. When the dust is blown around by the wind, the dust can be inhaled causing radiation sickness. It will also contaminate crops and ground water. Now, Take a look at the affliction, suffered by returning Gulf War veterans, known as Gulf War Syndrome. Now connect the dots. Did you make a straight line? Or do you need a Ruler?

Guest DocHoliday

Ah, so the gamma radiation isn't that innocent. In small dosages it's probably not noticable, but the cummulative effect...?

I did notice molten material flying around the obliterated targets in that movie, and it didn't make sense up to now.

quote:

Originally posted by Wolferz:

The radioactive particles distributed from the smoke of the ensueing fire will settle into the surrounding dirt, making it radioactive also....Now, Take a look at the affliction, suffered by returning Gulf War veterans, known as Gulf War Syndrome. Now connect the dots. Did you make a straight line? Or do you need a Ruler?

I need a ruler, perhaps this DoD report isn't adequate, but if not, perhaps you can dissect their methodology and show me the error of their ways.

From the conclusion (part 6).

quote:

The Baltimore VA and DoD have conducted a DU medical follow-up program for friendly fire victims since 1993. This Section reviews the key aspects of this DU medical follow-up program, which demonstrates to date that those veterans in the US vehicles hit by DU munitions during the Gulf War have experienced no adverse clinical outcomes attributable to DU since their initial traumatic injuries.

I'm going to refer you guys either to that first study, or to the volume of information openly available through the British-based Jane's Group, which is highly reliable to most who keep track of this stuff.

DU is NOT the cause of the Gulf War syndrome, DU has nearly HALF of the radiation levels of natural Uranium, and natural Uranium you can hold for long periods of time and not have ANY adverse reactions.

DU is like Global Warming, it is a boogey man to attack the US with, and both are TOTAL and COMPLETE NONSENSE.

Something told me that I would get this reaction.

If you think that the DoD or the VA are going to say anything about the detrimental effects of military equipment and ammo,you are sorely mistaken. Look at Agent Orange. As an arm of our now highly secretive government, they are playing a constant game of CYOA and we are very close to having that ruler I spoke of. It's not the kind of ruler one uses to measure with.

Again,I digress, It doesn't really matter what the ammunition is made of, It's all bad when you are on the receiving end.