Windows 64 bit and 64 bit Applications

Cruis.In

When is 64bit going to be the standard? And I take it you can't run 64 bit windows on a current setup, you need a 64 bit motherboard or computer or chip right?

Also all the programs for win32, will they work on win64 backwards compatible, and will people start writing programs for win64 only and not in win32 eventually?

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

When is 64bit going to be the standard?

I expect it to get a big boost when people start running dual-core

And I take it you can't run 64 bit windows on a current setup, you need a 64 bit motherboard or computer or chip right?

A current setup these days inclused an AMD athlon 64, or a Pentium 4 with AMD's 64-bit extensions, so any current setup should work.

Also all the programs for win32, will they work on win64 backwards compatible, and will people start writing programs for win64 only and not in win32 eventually?

Most Win32 programs will run on Win64 because of the WOW32 (Windows On Windows) layer, just like Win32 will run Win16 programs. However, Win64 will not run 16-bit programs.

Also, for programming, the biggest increases seem to be more registers, and able to store 64-bit numbers, however, most things are still 32-bit.

You could have found this out on pretty much any website out there. Since when is this a computer-support-site anyway?

Greetings,

Wouter Dijkslag

It's hard to say Cruis.In. I've had an Athlon64 for quite sometime now, and only recently installed XP64, but I don't use it Just haven't gotten around to setting it all up.

The 64bit standard is still a couple of years off, it's been slow to take hold, but seeing as how you can get 64bit drivers for almost all hardware nowadays, it's probably worth being an early adopter.

XP64 will run all current 32bit programs, but a program has to be written for 64bit to take advantage of the true benefits it offers.