3000AD Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Supreme Cmdr

Ubuntu On The Business Desktop

LOL. Nice to see though. I use Linux at home these days (although I keep a Windows dual boot for my wife and games that don't run under Linux)

much prefere to boot to Linux though.

Cool SC I use Suse too. I recently upgraded to 10 (64 bit version) myself. I use cedega to play some of my games on Linux but I keep a Win xp (64 bit) dual boot for UC and to keep the wife happy (she doesn't like linux)

Its a nice review overall, but what I missing is something about deployment, upgrading and stuff like that.

I know that Fedora and Suse come with things like YAST and YUM for upgrading. Fedora also comes with a config utility for netboot, for easy deployment.

Also notice that the Java Desktop System from Sun is now opensource under the open solaris project. Basicly its a modified version of gnome with a lot of management features (policies, access rights, etc) and a unified look.

On a side note I'm closly watching opensolaris, it has some features I always thought were missing in linux/unix distro's. For example it is possible in Solaris to allocate port 80 to the user apache, so apache doesn't need root priviliges, not even for a short time when its started.

I have Ubuntu 5.10 running on my old pc. Had some problems during installation.. On 1st install sudo-command didn't work at all, on 2nd I porked sudo-command by setting clock showing correctly(sudo stopped working, claiming that last time stamp were too far in future, lol). But after 3rd installation I got it work. I listen mp3's, surf the net and read my mail with ubuntu.

I'd change linux on my main computer but I have already paid for my windows plus that gaming would cause trouble with linux.. I wonder if any BC game would run in WINE?

-v