"Study finds no marijuana-lung cancer link"

I am so going to love this one:

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Marijuana smoking does not increase a person's risk of developing lung cancer, according to the findings of a new study at the University of California Los Angeles that surprised even the researchers

quote:

Previous studies showed marijuana tar contained about 50 percent more of the chemicals linked to lung cancer, compared with tobacco tar, Tashkin said. In addition, smoking a marijuana joint deposits four times more tar in the lungs than smoking an equivalent amount of tobacco.

"Marijuana is packed more loosely than tobacco, so there's less filtration through the rod of the cigarette, so more particles will be inhaled," Tashkin said in a statement. "And marijuana smokers typically smoke differently than tobacco smokers -- they hold their breath about four times longer, allowing more time for extra fine particles to deposit in the lung."

Yup, and cigs still cause cancer while pot doesn't? They better think twice and revise their stance about cigarettes.

quote:

He theorized that tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, a chemical in marijuana smoke that produces its psychotropic effect, may encourage aging, damaged cells to die off before they become cancerous.

Hansen-Flaschen also cautioned a cancer-marijuana link could emerge as baby boomers age and there may be smaller population groups, based on genetics or other factors, still at risk for marijuana-related cancers.

They still can't give it up let alone give up the funding money so let's concoct some other theories to keep the research money flowing.

quote:

The study was confined to people under age 60 since baby boomers were the most likely age group to have long-term exposure to marijuana
, said Dr. Donald Tashkin, senior researcher and professor at the UCLA School of Medicine.

Those are JUST the people to have scientifically reporting information regarding their "medication".

• 3 weeks later...

hmmm my dad died from lung cancer in 1996, he was 52. He smoked lots of both marijuana and butts. What a shame.... if he just smoked the weed he may still be here! hahaahaha Was this article written by the people who want to make pot smoking legal?

ROFL, ya potheads No wonder why your worldviews are so twisted!

/me jokes off

Should be legal tho, because alcohol is. Pot is lot milder stuff and causes lot less social problems. Hey, I got an idea: Why not to replace topacco with pot, yay!

-v

well what kills you in cigarretes is the nicotine and the tar & the carbon monoxide that you're inhaling.

A marijuana joint has none of those.

Still, its stupid to compare somethign that kills you slowly over the years (cigarrettes) to something that is likely to get you killed within the hour (drugged up idiots do find amusing ways to remove themselves from the gene pool).

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Originally posted by Tac:

well what kills you in cigarretes is the nicotine and the tar & the carbon monoxide that you're inhaling.

A marijuana joint has none of those.

Still, its stupid to compare somethign that kills you slowly over the years (cigarrettes) to something that is likely to get you killed within the hour (drugged up idiots do find amusing ways to remove themselves from the gene pool).

LMFAO! Tac your still the King!

yeah but you have to be REALLY drunk to do the stupid things junkies do after a few puffs of the joint.

I live near 2 colleges and let me tell you that im still surprised at how someone attending college can think that running in underwear AT incoming traffic to play 'lets dodge the truck' is a good idea.

few puffs, that truck looks mighty easy to dodge.. SMACK! 1 less moron on the streets.

Doesn't the word junkie refer to those individuals who cook up a little smack in a spoon and mainline it into a vien?

With age comes knowledge.

With knowledge comes wisdom.

College kids are young and dumb and not very wise.

A more accurate assessment after a "few puffs" would be for them to run headlong into a Denny's for some quick munchies. Not running into oncoming traffic. In fact, they won't be inclined to run anywhere.