Microsoft shuts down Windows 98

I am glad. I have to still support some win98 PC's at work, and they are terrible to maintain. We have plans to go to XP by the end of the year, hopefully this will help the priority of the migration project.

I put through last year for 2006 budget that the minimum PC would be 900Mhz CPU and 512MB memory. For the City I work for (of about 150 users) that meant purchasing 20 brand new PC's and cascading older PC's around where appropriate. So we also will be ordering about 35 memory upgrades and some hard drives.

Our low-end users basically just use email and Word, so that spec runs just fine for them. Currently, there are a few PC's that are 500Mhz and 256MB Ram (running XP), and it is a bit slow, but still workable until I am finished the 'PC Shuffle'.

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Case:

I put through last year for 2006 budget that the minimum PC would be 900Mhz CPU and 512MB memory. For the City I work for (of about 150 users) that meant purchasing 20 brand new PC's and cascading older PC's around where appropriate. So we also will be ordering about 35 memory upgrades and some hard drives.

Just interesting to me, the different way companies go about maintaining computers. For example, where I work, any new computer is a 64-bit Athlon with 1Gig of memory, HOWEVER, all old equipment is kept until it dies or catches on fire. We still have PII/350's running W2K and OS/2. We removed our last Win95 PC last year, only because it didn't work anymore.