Windows Vista

Windows Vista product editions revealed

I guess the confusion that was winXP Home and Pro was not enough.

ExtremeTech also has a look at Windows gaming using Vista, from the recent Meltdown 2005 gig.

ZDNET: Updside: In Windows Vista, Microsoft borrows a lot of clever ideas from its competitors.

Vista RC1 (Build 5600) is now open to the public.

I suggest that those of you with the hardware to run it, grab it and install in a dual boot partition.

Since this as close to finished code as its going to get, if you don't want to buy it when it comes out, at least you get to play with it forever.

If you are going to dual-boot, here are some resources to help you out. But WHATEVER you do, do NOT use Acronis Disk Director to partition the drive or you'll regret it.

Also, if you create a partition (50GB should do it) in WinXP, give it a drive letter, reboot, then install Vista from inside WINXP, you can keep WINXP on C: and Vista on another drive (e.g. V:)

Windows Vista Beta 2 Installation Guide

Windows Vista: PROview Articles and Topics of Interest

Windows Vista on Tech Recipes

according to the Customer Preview Program page

quote:

Windows Vista RC1 is time-limited, pre-release software that will expire on June 1, 2007.

So if that means it has an in-built inactivation timer, it's not really worth downloading for anything other than trying out. If that means they just won't support it any more, I can live with that. I just don't want to spend a week of overnight download sessions (I figure that's about how long it would take on my connection) for something that'll only work for 9 months.

• 1 month later...

I Agree with SC that XP will remain the Standard for Gaming and enthusists, but Vista is comming whether we like it or not, and when Dell and other companies start puting vista on computers by default...

Guess whats going to happen.

-Hardware Vendors will update their drivers.

-Game companies will upgrade to DX10

-More Computers will come with Vista

-Some people will actually BUY Vista

-The software vendors take notice of the above.

Then M$ will shove vista down our throats like they did XP and the people will love them for it because they don't know any better.

I hate M$......

-Fox

LONG LIVE LINUX!

• 2 months later...

Really Pathetic.

Saddly though a lot of hard core gamers won't read those articles and will still buy the stupid software anyway.

This is the main reason that IF (hear me: IF) I go with Vista I'll make sure to have two OS's installed, one so I can play older games (like Outpost 1? Ancient I tell ya, and it works on XP So thats the the second OS.)

Either way though, if Microsoft doesn't get their head out of there ass, they'll completely KILL PC gaming as we know it.