3000AD Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Supreme Cmdr

Windows Vista

Well, time to start reading up on Vista.

I've been playing around with it (I have an MSDN sub) for some time now and all I have to say is that the leap from XP is like going from WIN98 to WINXP.

I suspect that when released, PC games will only support WINXP and Vista. Not surprising. Is anything actually still running WIN98?

Guest Grayfox

heh i still run 98 for my older games. i dont think any of the newer ones support 98... at least CoD2 and BF2 dont.

quote:

Originally posted by Remo Williams:

Same here I have a dual boot drive with 98 for the classics.

Don't know if anybody else mentioned it, but for old dos classics this is a great tool:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

As for windows 98 games, the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit really does a great job with them. It even fixed my Dungeon Keeper II

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

Back on the vista subject; I really hope WinFS gets included. Does anybody know if they fixed the fragmentation issue which NTFS has with winFS ?

quote:

Originally posted by JUDGExKTF:

Back on the vista subject; I really hope WinFS gets included. Does anybody know if they fixed the fragmentation issue which NTFS has with winFS ?

If we're lucky they'll include it as a Service Pack, but at this time its pretty certain thats not going to be happening.

quote:

Originally posted by DeepFreeze:

I don't know. From what I've read about Vista, it just sounds like WinXP with some neato skins. Am I missing something?

Yes, you're missing a lot. Better go back and actually read the plethora of resources out there about Vista because you're not even close.

Looks like a hardcore microsoft fan has gone rogue:

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_5308_05.asp

I must say I agree with him on a couple of parts.

I mean, where is winFS ? NTFS is just not a file system of this century, it really needs a successor.

I also agree on the user protection issue, for ordinary usage you shouldn't have to use the administrator login. Asking people a lot of difficult questions like do they really want application XYZ to do ABC is just silly. People dont understand it and will click YES or get fet up with the warnings and questions and press YES.

He's right though. I have the Vista CTP and its a mess. Vista is to WinXP what WinME was to Win98: a disaster.

I think one of the problems Microsoft is facing is all the legacy code.

They have to make a new operating system which has to be compatible (not all the way, but still a great deal) with stuff like win 98 and NT 4. Boy, am I glad I'm not in their shoes.

Until a couple of months ago I was always cursing about why with almost every upgrade in FreeBSD (Same goes for Linux) stuff was broken. I often had to fix my code because they broke the API by implementing something new (or redesigning something old) and not making it backwards compatible. And asked myself; "Why can't they make the stuff more backword compatible, like in windows".

I think that we can learn from Vista that backwards compatibility can be a good thing, but not too much will wreak havoc on your product. Which is a real shame, because I was really looking forward to vista, XP seemed like a giant step in the right direction. And i can't help feel were taking a step back now

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

He's right though. I have the Vista CTP and its a mess. Vista is to WinXP what WinME was to Win98: a disaster.

Yeah, its so true. I've been having to play with it at work lately, and I'm not impressed at all.

However, it is still a pre-release; it still feels a little early to judge it. Plus I don't know if I'm exactly the one who should be judging it... I'm still convinced that a good UNIX is lightyears better than Vista, for both Workstation and Server applications.

Concerning backwards compatibility, and I know I'm going to get booed for this, but I think Microsoft should learn a good lesson from Apple. Rather than worry so much about backwards compatibility, just rewrite the entire code, not worrying about backwards compatibility. They keep talking about doing "rewrites" yet the same old problems remain. Apple released OS X and told the OS classic guys to piss off. They gave you tools to basically have a copy of OS classic installed if you really needed legacy apps but with each version of OS X they've just sort of pulled people away from that.

Heck, a lot of UNIX stuff is like that. I know of a few Solaris apps that won't run on 9 but will run on 6 just fine. Microsoft needs to stop worrying about "loosing customers" or "being the bad guys" and just say piss off to the people who whine. Even gamers get over it... its not like we haven't gone through it before with Windows 98 to Windows XP.

Hmmmmmm

Interesting article, wish they had run more tests though to see if any 'other' populer game would work... like.. say... EQ2? which is still vastly popular...

But this still doesn't convince me to dish out hundreds of dollers to upgrade my OS when I don't even know if four games in particuler will work (X3 - Reunion, 3000AD's line of games, and two others)

That has been the case for a while now.

Anyway, the Beta 2 customer preview is out for those brave enough to try it and smart enough to install it in a multi-book environment.

Vista - to me - is rubbish. It'll never get off the ground and winXP will remain the de facto OS for gaming.

quote:

Vista - to me - is rubbish. It'll never get off the ground and winXP will remain the de facto OS for gaming.

Why do you predict that, SC?

Lemme see....because as a dev I've been in on it since the first Alpha version and I'm - thus far - not impressed?

SC has a point

Egosoft's developers already stated they weren't going to change over to Vista either, weather thats true or not I don't know

quote:

Originally posted by Prez:

Curious coincidence that Gates has announced he's stepping down 6-8 months before Vista's release...

Kind of like a rat leaving a sinking ship?