Flu Shots and You

stingray

So it's this time of the year again (well for those that don't live in Florida anyway...) when the flu wave is about to hit most of us again.

It's been a while since I last got the flu and if memory serves I got flu shots twice in the last two or three years. I'm not trying to catch it because besides being one of the diseases that can actually kill you it's a drag to have to stay at home and in bed all day long and just do nothing.

I'm not sure I'll be getting a flu shot this year, my employer and the media said there were shortages this time around, so only those mostly at risk would get one and I guess I'm not one of those.

I've heard from different people that flu shots can also make you sick, so it's not always the right thing to do.

How about you, anyone here getting a flu shot?

I think I have only had the actual flu once in my life (knock on wood. In fact I am not 100% sure what the flu is. I recently read that the flu is not determined by vomiting or diarrhea, but more the fever and body aches. I never knew that. Soo since I am not 100% what is is or isn't the flu, I am not getting a shot to prevent it.

My mom lives in an inlaw here and she forbids me to have chickens.....she is afraid of the avian flu...

I think they should come out with a shot for the common annoying cold that everyone gets and can't shake from Sept to Jan 15th.

Now watch me get the flu! hahahaha that's ok I would love to lay in bed with my laptop all day.

quote:

Originally posted by echo:

I recently read that the flu is not determined by vomiting or diarrhea, but more the fever and body aches.

Those are the symptoms, you get high fever and your body aches.

quote:

I would love to lay in bed with my laptop all day.

The problem is, you'll be drowsy all day and be so tired from the fever and/or medicine to lower the fever that you'll be too tired to do just about anything. It's hard to focus if your bed is spinning.

There is a pretty good medicine on the market for the Flu. It's called Tamiflu and it knocks the ailment down in its tracks.

So why prevent yourself from getting it? Unless you are in that high risk categorie, getting the malady helps your body build up a natural immunity to future contraction of it.

Personally, I don't go for the Flu shot. I haven't had a cold ot sore throat since I was about six years old. (Tonsils removed) I have had the flu once back in 96 and I was a very very sick puppy. I had it so bad that even my hair hurt. LOL

I got the flu shot last year and still I still ended up getting sicker than a dog. Happens to me every year no matter what. I think I'm coming down with something now. I got a burst of energy yesterday (which is my usual MO before I fall flat on my face) and I didn't wake up today 'till 3pm and I went to bed early. I'm starting to sound raspy and a slight headache. Damn, I'm not looking foward to this again.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Wolferz, don't get the flu shots unless your high risk.. but even then... getting the shots doesn't gaurentee you won't get the flu, its just a precursor to fending the flu off by using the bodys natual immune system.

I remember 2 winters ago there was a phenumonia that was going around that clogged up your lungs real bad... almost everyone in town had the bug and had it for like 3 weeks... i had it for 6 days

I wonder if picking your nose improves your immune system... now don't be like that, think about it for a second

Flu shots? I might try the booger treatment instead...

-Fox