CRT televisions not dead yet

Nope they aren't dead yet but they are on life support.

People have been getting x-rayed by these things since they were invented. It's no wonder we see such high rates of cancer these days.

I have yet to see a CRT match the picture quality of a good LCD. The best thing about LCDs is "No refresh rate Flicker"

My current display of choice for television is a Samsung 27" LCD HD. My PC monitor is a 19" widescreen LCD. No flicker at all.

quote:

Originally posted by Wolferz:

Nope they aren't dead yet but they are on life support.

I wouldn't call nearly 70% of the world market on life support. However, I will admit they are getting long in the tooth and will need life support soon.

I will also admit I didn't even look at LCD's so I can't argue that point either. Are the blacks as deep as CRT? Maybe next go around (ten years?) I'll look at LCD if the prices are comparable.

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by stingray:

Let's just say, CRTs are on the same track as vinyl records and floppy disks and will slowly but surely disappear.

I'll give you that one with the emphasis on slowly. Did you know they still make vinyl records? There was an article recently on the few surviving manufacturers.

My parent's 42" (I think) Vegatron went out. Non repairable with a bad picture tube. Shame, it was only ten years old too. They got an LCD and are quite happy with it. I've seen it and I must say I can't tell the difference from a CRT. Blacks are good etc., etc.