X2: The Threat gold

Spindoktor

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

X2 has stuff that BCM doesn't have (but then again.. don't forget, BCM was released awhile back)

UC will have stuff that X2 doesn't have

X2 - You can build base's,build stations and, from what I've been reading and hearing, you can walk aroud in stations

BCM(Havn't played UC so this is based soley on BCM) - Excellent AI, Able to build fleets, assault planets (IE send down teams of marines and such)

Both games evenly rounded and each other things that the other doesn't have. I only listed some of the things I've observed im pretty sure there are more (SC will probably grill me for not really elaborating on stuff)

quote:

It is a universe of smugglers and businessmen, of bounty hunters and travellers, from countless worlds. All striving to make their mark on a universe in constant flux. It is a dangerous place, with threats both from within and beyond. After years of conflict, an uneasy peace has settled across the many worlds, as humans and aliens strive to live together in harmony.

Is it me, or does this sound like it was ripped from Babylon 5's opening cinema?

quote:

Originally posted by Kalshion:

Both games evenly rounded and each other things that the other doesn't have. I only listed some of the things I've observed im pretty sure there are more (SC will probably grill me for not really elaborating on stuff)

The games are as alike as night and day. Anyone who played X:BTF and BCM (or BCM Gold), knows this. At least I think they should.

Comparing X2 and UC is just silly. X2 is like the modern day Elite- hopefully on steroids - due to its emphasis on trading, building stuff etc. Obviously there is a reason why BCM/G sold more units than every space sim since Freespace2. Incl. Freelancer.

Like previous BC games, UC is purely combat and the trading is just another feature (like so many) thrown in just for the hell of it.

And that bit about walking around in a station in X2 is inaccurate - at least the last time I checked. If I added the ability to walk around inside stations, ships etc, it won't be some small corner in a massive station. It would be the entire station.

If they can overcome the problems which made X:BTF a tedious affair (at least to me), X2 could be a great game. Right now, the only thing that X2 and UC have in common, is the fact that they both feature a space sim environment. UC, like BCM/G is not a space sim.

• 2 weeks later...

The game looks really interesting and promising but so far the release has been a complete cluster....

EB games thinks the game isn't even out yet but I know for a fact a buddy of mine is playing it as I type this. It's been really interesting and I hope the patch releases go smoother than this has...

quote:

Originally posted by Scrivener:

Dont know why on earth the retail release was delayed. Mine is pre-ordered and fully paid,

'Justified' you say? as in downloading the game illigely? just because you already paid for it doesn't give you the right to download it off the net

I already ordered mine from EB. I'm in no hurry to get it.

[ 11-30-2003, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Got mine over the weekend. Pretty much its Xtension with a massive graphics overhaul, which is a good thing.

Visuals are awesome, trading is good, ships, stations and sector effects look NICE, combat AI is weak and joystick sensitivity is a huge issue. Ever since I got hooked on BCMG's stick setup I've been flying my sims with the rudder & left/right axis switched. Can't do it in this game because the rudder is so insanly sensitive. I think I got a mouse set-up working ok so maybe combat will be improved.

So far I'm liking it alot, even with the wonky combat. Hopefully they will release a patch to fix the controller issues.

quote:

Originally posted by Andergum:

Got mine over the weekend. Pretty much its Xtension with a massive graphics overhaul, which is a good thing.

You b*stard! I'm still waiting for Amazon to bloody well ship my copy. If I don't get it by Friday, I'm going to cancel my order and get it from gogamer.com

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

You b*stard! I'm still waiting for Amazon to bloody well ship my copy. If I don't get it by Friday, I'm going to cancel my order and get it from gogamer.com [/QB]

hehe... I got mine from gogamer.

Of course the preorder I made with Egosoft way back in May is nowhere to be seen.

quote:

'Justified' you say? as in downloading the game illigely? just because you already paid for it doesn't give you the right to download it off the net.

Considering that I already bought my copy (And that other people who already bought their copies are playing it already)... yeah, it kinda does.