X2: The Threat gold

Spindoktor

I got tired of waiting on Best Buy, EB and Gamestop to figure out a) what the game is, B) is it actually coming out, and c) if their labotomies are reversable...

So I ordered it from GoGamer Wednesday night and had it Thursay by 2:30pm...

This thing is graphically amazing, but I haven't had a chance to really dig into playing it as my daughter has been sick all week

I gotta say the interface is gonna take some getting used to, but once I start remembering the keyboard shortcuts I think everything will just keep getting better...

Sorry to hear you haven't got it yet, SC, but all I have to say is....

NEEENER, NEEEENER, NEENER !!! LMAO

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Remo:

I got tired of waiting on Best Buy, EB and Gamestop to figure out a) what the game is,
B)
is it actually coming out, and c) if their labotomies are reversable...

So I ordered it from GoGamer Wednesday night and had it Thursay by 2:30pm...

This thing is graphically amazing, but I haven't had a chance to really dig into playing it as my daughter has been sick all week

I gotta say the interface is gonna take some getting used to, but once I start remembering the keyboard shortcuts I think everything will just keep getting better...

Sorry to hear you haven't got it yet, SC, but all I have to say is....

NEEENER, NEEEENER, NEENER !!! LMAO

Lucky devil . So, how are the frame rates on the game so far?

I got it too. I'm still playing the training missions, called the "simulator". Even at this early point, its clear the game is DEEP. Especially from an empire building point of view. The flight control is looser than a two dollar whore, so combat is clearly its weak point. I like complex games, so this game will sit on my hard drive for a long time and can easily co-exist with BCMG/UC because they really are different games, apples and oranges.

Frame rates are fine on my rig, at least in the training missions. But I don't think you can judge it until you have a lot of things going on in the universe, with all its associated AI calculations. Some have complained that over time, the thing will slow down pretty bad without a reboot (memory leakage?). Some have even complained about corrupted save games. Fun stuff.

If you are an early adopter, space sim freak (like me) and can't wait until its cleaned up, I'd say get it now.

Well, I got my copy of X2 yesterday but won't be able to play it for another two weeks... school and all

In fact, I just bought a 6 pack of Rockstar Energy drink to help keep me up when I get off work tonight. Going to be a long, long night.

I'm starting to wonder how one can be creative when these graphic arts schools bury you under so much work that you no longer have time for *fun.* Sitting on my desk, unopened, are copies of: X2, KOTOR, Armed and Dangerous, Prince of Persia, UFO Aftermath, Deus Ex 2, NWN Hordes of Underdark, Echelon 2, Lock-On, Korsun Pocket, and Temple of Elemental Evil (Open but havnt played since the week it was released). Instead of playing games, all my time has been spent on school projects like this and this (illustrator and photography, respectively).

*sigh* Man I can't wait to take my HOTAS Cougar out of dusty retirement and dog into X2, Lock-on, UC, and company. Need-gameage-so-badly.

quote:

Sitting on my desk, unopened, are copies of: X2, KOTOR, Armed and Dangerous, Prince of Persia, UFO Aftermath, Deus Ex 2, NWN Hordes of Underdark, Echelon 2, Lock-On, Korsun Pocket, and Temple of Elemental Evil

heh, I used to have that problem until I got the addiction under control. Now I only buy them when I know I have the time, i.e. finished something, thus opening up a time slot. Also, I narrowed my purchasing only to AAA titles that meet my tough standards like BCM and UC.

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

I like complex games, so this game will sit on my hard drive for a long time and can easily co-exist with BCMG/UC because they really are different games, apples and oranges.

Yep, X2 is more of a trading and empire building game, while BC games are more into combat (moreso UC) with a little trading thrown in because we can't have you running around without ammo.

Ok. I've played the game for 3 days and I've gone through all the typcial emotions of a new game. Jaw dropping adrenaline rushes. Head bashing into monitor frustration fits. You know, the usual things.

I have to say this at the end of the day. This game rocks. :grins: The movies in the game leave a lot to be desired, but fortunately they aren't many of those. Once you get flying though thye graphics are very very good. You start off with a "scout" type ship and if you pull up next to a "Mammoth" or "Collusus" class vessel you'll probably crap in your pants. You'll fall on the floor and seize up once you realize that eventaully you'll be able to buy one of those bigger ships.

I'll admit, I used a hex editor to give myself some cash in one of my games to test some of the bigger features of the game. I.E. The bigger ships, running factories, exc, exc.

I bought a "Collosus" class vessel which is a "carrier." When you look at it's stats and it says "Hangar Capacity -- 130", that means you can quite literally hold 130 fighters. I.E. If you have hte cash you can go out and buy 130 fighters and launch or pilot each and every one of them. This game (hides from Derek) deserves a seat right next to the BCM icon (and soon to be UC icon) on my desktop.

A word of warning, however. First, the game interface takes some getting used to. It seems very counter intuitive at first but you WILL get used to it, I promise. Second, LEARN THE BLOODY HOTKEYS. This is vital, if you do not, you will not survive. Third, this game, like BC, takes a long time for things to happen. Do not expect to be rolling in money (Unless you cheat) and owning a fleet of ships in 2 days because it really won't happen.

I give this game a 9/10 (no 10/10 because of bad movies) and I highly recommend this.

SC, did you get your copy yet? I'd honestly like to hear from you about this game...

Has anyone else had the CTD issue when entering the Ore Belt system? I just can't get around it...It crashes about 3 seconds after I enter that system

It is great if I stay away from the Ore Belt, though...

quote:

Originally posted by Bandus:

SC, did you get your copy yet? I'd honestly like to hear from you about this game...

No not yet, good thing too, considering I'm dying to go gold on UC any day now. Your review of X2 makes me wanna go out in the rain and choke the living daylights out of the EB store clerk down at the mall though.

Guest rtoolooze

LMAO, I feel like choking the daylights out of the EB clerks almost everytime I call or go down there Derek. I know just how you feel.

Freakin console kids, they don't know a thing about PC games.

quote:

LMAO, I feel like choking the daylights out of the EB clerks almost everytime I call or go down there Derek. I know just how you feel.

Freakin console kids, they don't know a thing about PC games.

Hey, hey, now... I work with those 'console kids.' Only, I don't really care all that much for console games. Yeah, it sometimes seems like I'm the only PC gamer in the company... and it's always frustrating when they try to shrink my PC section to make room for more pre-owned games. This new CEO (Mr. Firestone, our founder, resigned a couple years ago) is turning the company into a giant friggin swapmeet... not to mention that he's taken away almost all of our benefits during his short fascist reign.

Remo, haven't gotten that crash. In fact, I've not gotten any CTDs. If you look on the X2 Forums for tech support you'll get help. You should download the latest beta drivers for your NVIDIA card (if thats what you have). The drivers significantly increased my FPS rate as well as alleviated some stuttering I was encountering.

Guest rtoolooze

Well, I've been playing for a few hours now, and I don't know what to think. Did all the training missions and have been in the game for awhile.

Graphics are nice. Its kinda cool the way you can dock and fly around alittle inside stations. I also like the 3d gases and nebula and stuff. Its also cool having a 3d cockpit.

Cutscenes are terrible. Contols are way to responsive, at least for my Saitek X36. (especially the rudder) I also don't like how the cockpit jitters around all the time. And so far, all the space sectors I've been in seem incredibly small! Their like small boxes with some stations and factories in there and you can visualy see all jump gates.

But like I said, I've only been at it for a few hours. I'll keep on playing and hopefully It'll get better.

rtoolooze out!

quote:

Originally posted by Kalshion:

X2 has stuff that BCM doesn't have (but then again.. don't forget, BCM was released awhile back)

UC will have stuff that X2 doesn't have

X2 - You can build base's,build stations and, from what I've been reading and hearing, you can walk aroud in stations

BCM(Havn't played UC so this is based soley on BCM) - Excellent AI, Able to build fleets, assault planets (IE send down teams of marines and such)

Both games evenly rounded and each other things that the other doesn't have. I only listed some of the things I've observed im pretty sure there are more (SC will probably grill me for not really elaborating on stuff)

You canot walk around on spacestations in X2 The Threat. I asked this question on the Egosoft Forums and I got a negative. Than again they could be wrong. Some of the screenshots look like you could and it would be cool if players could actully explore entire spacestations.

Guest rtoolooze

Thats right, you cannot "walk" around inside space stations. You can fly around alittle inside them tho.

After flying thru the main space doors, you come to some inside doors, you then wait for a small load time, then those doors open, then you fly inside a ways to these docking bays, where you then dock and log into the station to trade and what not.

I want my UC!!!

quote:

Originally posted by almostpilot:

quote:

Originally posted by rtoolooze:

.... Its also cool having a 3d cockpit.

It┬┤s one the best thing in the space sims !!!!

Yah man! 3D cockpits are the bomb!!!

I think BCM was going to have one WAYYY back in the days of development, but it cut. Too many cockpits for too many assets I believe was the reason

But I always thought an invisible one would have been JUST fine, as long as you get that cool padlock result. But its cool.

X2 looks really kick@ss!

I think IÔÇÖll try the demo just to see how this 3D cockpit is in space in the next little bit.

??? In fact, I canÔÇÖt think of any other space game that has a 3d cockpit view????????? does I-war have one?

quote:

Originally posted by Extinct_Reptilia:

...In fact, I canÔÇÖt think of any other space game that has a 3d cockpit view????????? does I-war have one?

Privateer had. I-war had, but not so detailed like X2, just a "window view" if i┬┤m correct remenber.

I'm fairly certain that both of those games used bitmap overlays for the various views similar to Xwing and TIE fighter.

for true 3d cockpits the only ones I cna think of other than X2 is X:BTF, Xwing alliance, and Starlancer.

I'm sure there are others but those are all I can think of off hand.

Oh man, but just imagine what that could have been like for BCM!! It would have been amazing if it didn't got cut.

I think 3D cockpits are probably the best in space sims. Just looking all around your cockpit at all that vastness sure makes your jaw drop. Pretty colossal!

Hmmmm... I never new there was that many? Perhaps I'll check them out.

Time for some demo hunting!!!!!!

Actually those 3d cockpits are surprisingly annoying. They are fun for about 10 mins, but when you actually get into the game, how many times do I have to look at that damn spar obstructing my station or ship view. I would much rather have the full screen view, with some essential readouts here and there, and maybe a few small windows that I could pop open/closed in corners of the monitor.

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

Actually those 3d cockpits are surprisingly annoying. They are fun for about 10 mins, but when you actually get into the game, how many times do I have to look at that damn spar obstructing my station or ship view. I would much rather have the full screen view, with some essential readouts here and there, and maybe a few small windows that I could pop open/closed in corners of the monitor.

Ok, but could be done like other games (IL2 for example). Pressing F1 change from cockpit view to full screen view (without cockpits). It┬┤s only a question of have choices.