Top retailers to nix PC games?

Supreme Cmdr

I,ve already started seeing this. I was in Gamestop the other day looking for MOH: Breakthrough and lo and behold the wall dedicated to PC games was gone. In it's place was a discount area with old Dreamcast PSOne games etc..

When I asked where the PC games were I was directed to a small two sided rack with no endcaps in the BACK OF THE STORE! This rack also included strat guides and periphreals, all told the pc area was a 3" by 3" area. The Sega Genesis area has roughly the same amount of space.

I wonder if all our Amazon and Ebay shopping is having some effect on all this. Either way this is BAD.

I've ever hated all those gaming platform with all these arcade games!!!

They lack the more important factor to make a game interesting..... depth and strategy. If my brain isn't busy how the hell can I enjoy a game only with my spinal nervs?

Guest Grayfox

i stopped going to gamestop a while back... mainly due to crappy customer service... so now ive been frequenting EB Games. they havent changed yet, and hopefully they wont.

everything is pretty much even in there, with PC and PS2 taking up a good chunk of wall, cube and Xbox not so much due to the size of the library for both systems. the vintage PC and older platform games are in small bins scattered throughout the store. everything is well balanced, and i can order what i want through them if they dont already carry it.

heres to hoping they wont change... at least too much

Well that's their 7% loss. Looks like the best thing publishers could do is just to offer the PC games as an online order direct for them and let the publisher and developer pocket all the profit. Like LucasArts I usually buy the games direct from their online shop because they offer little gifts with the game. I agree about Gamestop ever since the name change man has that store become smelling more like a bum in 100 degree weather.

Its not going to happen. You heard the EB games head. He stated that "its not true"

I mean, they probably will drop a number of games from the not well bought groups, like the Endless Ages game, i mean I've seen it(multiple copies) rot on the shelves of my local Software Etc (owned by GameStop) for half a year now.

And its true, when the big wig games come out it always boosts these sales. The actuality is that they will probably reduce shelf size, but eliminating all is just a joke. With Games like Doom 3, Half Life 2, and World of Warcraft coming out in 03, thats crazy to think. Alot of their business has come from PC games being released, Command and Conquer, Warcraft, StarCraft, Everquest, Ultima Online. I mean its a laugh riot, them eliminating PC games from there stores.

Well, perhaps people would keep buying PC games if the developers stopped putting out the same pathetic and painfully unorignal boring rehashes of FPS's, RPG's, and RTS's, hmm? How many freaking World War 2 games did EA and their pets think they could make before people got sick of it, or how many billions of expansion packs for The Sims?

I've watched the EBs and Gamestops in my area shrink their PC shelf space little by little to make room for... even more console used games!

How many used copies of EA's console sports retreads do they need on the shelf for gods sakes. The profit margins on used games must be ridiculous. These stores are turning into the old Funcolands.

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

I've watched the EBs and Gamestops in my area shrink their PC shelf space little by little to make room for... even more console used games!

How many used copies of EA's console sports retreads do they need on the shelf for gods sakes. The profit margins on used games must be ridiculous. These stores are turning into the old Funcolands.

Ah let them that'll be their loss and demise.

Yea looks like these stores are going to become used car lots for Games. I miss the old Software Etc.. I bought games since the store opened and was owned by B.Daltons book store.

The EB games in my local mall still has a pretty large PC section, the game they sell the most IS MOH and DoD. Those are the only games so naturaly those are the only games listed on the shelf (on the side of maybe The Sims and 2 or 3 other games)

Console games are ok, but they still lack the stratigy to keep into them. To date the ONLY Console game that I have bought and still play is Halo - Combat Evolved, I bought the thing when it was released and I still play it.. why? cause its the only game where there are several changes depending on difficulty level and the way you play

What would make these games better, is an AI that LEARNS from the PLAYERS. THAT would cause a lot of people to rethink there tactics and try to overcome an indentical them

I've already noticed the gamestop here has no PC games anymore, funny to... cause ever since they got rid of there PC games the store has been real quiet, I never see anyone in there when I walk by (both morning and afternoon)

I'm not really worring that much, if EB games and Gamestop DO stop selling PC games I'll just buy my games from gogamer.com or from the developers

The following is my personal opinion; what I have noted from personal experience and those I have discussed this issue with.

I've been noting this phenomenon for quite some time now. New platforms are released about every five years

NES 1986

SNES 1991

PS1 1995

PS2 2000

PS3 2005-2006(?)

Given that most players buy either a console or a PC in a year, not both (unless they are rich), only one can truly be dominant at any given time. Also, due to dramatic price drops along with a myriad of titles available on a known-good hardware platform at a reasonable price, the industry reaches a level of market saturation somewhere around a year after a new console is released that lasts about 3 years. (Ex: Think of 10+ of your all-time favorite PC games, chances are most of them shipped within a year of a console being released.) Notice the prices on new PC software? How about console software? Console software seems downright cheap by comparison. This is simply a normal price fluctuation on elastic goods. Consumers have a set spending limit (whether self-imposed or not and therefore cannot afford keeping both systems current (mid 20s single males, this does not apply to us

We are currently at the apex for the console side of this cycle, give computer games two or three years to will pick up again as the full ability of the PS2 is realized and the market becomes totally saturated with mediocre titles that should not have been released (Tribes 2 for console two years after it's cold reception into the PC world anyone?) At that time, we should see a substantial drop in the prices of both PC games and console games (as they scramble to retake lost market-share) Personally myself, I am glad the cycle works something like this. I could only imagine how expensive it would be to maintain a top-of-the-line gaming system all the time? Yikes!!!

I will look into this further, but hopefully someone will read this and be able to provide a link into actual scientific research or marketing studies to validate the points I have presented

Anyways, thatÔÇÖs my .02$

Went into Gamestop today and Lo and Behold the PC section again has a wall of its own in the FRONT of the store. When I asked they said they were told by a district mgr. to change it back. He sai it was probably due to Half-Life 2 and the othernew titles coming out in '04.

BTW what in the hell is American McGEE's Alice?

http://www.alice.ea.com/main.html

Alice is basically the Alice in wonderland story but instead it's an evil wonderland with a girl gone crazy from the death of her parents in a home fire. I can't "horror", but it looks evil

btw American McGEE is the guy that made the game (basically like "Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri"). Who would name his child "American"? A little over patriotic.

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

btw American McGEE is the guy that made the game (basically like "Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri"). Who would name his child "American"? A little over patriotic.

with how that game is I'd say he is more than a little scarred by it...

quote:

Originally posted by Eclipse:

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

with how that game is I'd say he is more than a little scarred by it...

hehehe

here's a quote from his website :

quote:

My Name

The question I get most often in life and in email is, ÔÇ£Is American your real name?ÔÇØ The answer is: Yes, my mother named me that. She claims a woman she knew in college, who named her daughter ÔÇ£AmericaÔÇØ, inspired the name. She also tells me that she was thinking of naming me ÔÇ£ObnardÔÇØ. She was and always has been a very eccentric and creative person. No, I do not have any nicknames