Black Isle Studios Shut Down - Fallout 3 Canned

Scrivener

I just got the worst news... Interplay has shut down Black Isle Studios and laid off most of it's employees. I'm doing my best to maintain composure but I'm honest-to-god in tears right now.

This may sound heartless, but this is nearly as devastating to me as the 9-11 attack. I used to work at Interplay QA during BIS glory days. I can't imagine a world without BIS. What's worse, as a result Fallout 3 has also been given the axe.

This is perhaps the darkest day for the game industry since the closing of Looking Glass. Interplay is now permanently on my high-vendeta list - higher even than WalMart and Hasbro. This is terrible, just terrible.

quote:

Originally posted by Scrivener:

This may sound heartless, but this is nearly as devastating to me as the 9-11 attack.

Are you shitting me?!?! They can always find work. They only lost a job and Interplay is OUT OF MONEY (as if that wasn't obvious). The people in 9-11 LOST THEIR LIVES.

Goddamnit, I didn't have to read this crap so early in the morning. Now my day is going to be ruined and I pity the first fool who pisses me off today.

Yeah dude... I think that the 9/11 attacks hold more signifigance for America than this occurence... although I haven't watched the talking heads on TV today... maybe they are throwing back and forth conspiracy theories on whether or not the "terrorists have won" by shutting down BIS...

Osama Bin Laden: Praise be to God, that PC game Fallout 3 is no more... maybe now the U.S. will stop bombing us!

Nice smiley

quote:

They do seem enjoy laying off QA with alarming frequency.

Did you read SC's post? If they are bleeding cash what do you expect them to do?

Someone will pick up Fallout. Just like Thief, its a property worth hard cash.

If someone is willing to pick up the 3DO properties , I'm pretty sure Fallout won't just disappear.

I don't think it's stupidity if it's a good business decision... I like it when employers are loyal to their employees to an extent... but every employee has to understand how hard things are on their employer at times.

I'm sad at this too, i liked BG2 and was actually starting to get into the game and purchase more of their games. Those were some talented people over at BIS, kinda messed up they got the shaft right before Xmas.

But they'll bounce back, people with talent always get picked up. Hell, SC might even hire em. They could create the inside of the Battlecruisers with little Officer's and Pilots and Marines doing routine things, then we could REALLY see what Resnig does. (Sorry...had to add a little humor to this thread)

Good luck to the BIS team, i hope to see them somewhere putting there talent to good use.

You know everybody sheds tears for the victims of 9/11. This is the most tragic attack on the US mainlaind in history. However, I must ask why we don't shed 20 times more tears each year for the people killed on our american highways. We don't need terrorists to kill americans, we do a fine job by ourselves.

http://www.ohioinsurancefactbook.org/chapt...hapter_two5.htm

vs 3,000 who died in September 11th

The reason Icecold is because 9/11 was an ATTACK not an accident like everything else that happens each day

Personaly, I hate to sound cold, but I could careless about the accidents that happen daily, since most are caused by careless people, people who either have had there license's revoked and STILL drive (therefor breaking the law) or those who drive drunk and cause accident..

9/11 was not an accident, not by a LONG shot.. it was an attack on american soil.. REMEMBER THAT 3000 people died because of a lunitick

Im very damned surprised you even SAID that Icecold, you should know damn well that 9/11 is MORE important than anything else in this world

You know, it's 2 A.M. here in my new home (left the military a week and a half ago), it's Friday night, and I'm at home trolling the BCM boards... I was actually thinking to myself as I microwaved my pizza "Is this a normal thing for a 24 yr old to be doing at this time of morning on an obvious party night? I haven't even had any beer today!!!" Then, I happened upon this thread and I could have sworn that the sun came out

Thank you very much

quote:

Personaly, I hate to sound cold, but I could careless about the accidents that happen daily, since most are caused by careless people, people who either have had there license's revoked and STILL drive (therefor breaking the law) or those who drive drunk and cause accident..

Sadly, while you may be correct about these accidents being caused by careless/drunk people - the people who tend to pay the price most often are innocent bystanders in the OTHER cars involved.

My stepbrother was killed in a car accident a few years ago. He wasn't driving, he was the passenger of the driver who had been drinking. It wasn't a smart move on his part, and even though carelessness was the cause of the accident (I recognized this even at the time) it was no less a life-changing event for me than the 9/11 attacks.

The families affected by these events have just as much going on in their lives... 9/11 was just a national event. A majority of accidents don't end up in national news. If car accidents were rare and isolated - you'd probably have a more national outpouring of support for people affected. Now it's just as common as natural causes...

Guest Grayfox

Originally posted by IceCold:

quote:

You know everybody sheds tears for the victims of 9/11. This is the most tragic attack on the US mainlaind in history. However, I must ask why we don't shed 20 times more tears each year for the people killed on our american highways. We don't need terrorists to kill americans, we do a fine job by ourselves.

ummm do you mind keeping this thread on topic??? it is, or was i should say, about BIS shutting down NOT about the 9/11 attacks, even though a left center field referance has been made...

sheesh make another topic instead of smokescreening this one.

thank you,

discount tire companies

on a TOPIC RELATED note, i am glad that BIS hasnt gone under. i was a big fan of the BG series, and i agree theres a ton of talent in the company. good luck fellas, and keep up the excellent work.