Harpoon IV Canned

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

"Ubisoft is committed to making the best military simulation games possible, and unfortunately, the Harpoon IV project wasn't meeting this goal. In our judgment, the product quality could never reach a level that meets or exceeds consumer expectations," said Tony Kee, vice president of marketing, Ubisoft. "We will never intentionally ship a product that is sure to disappoint our discerning customer base."

Translation: "We, the suits at Ubisoft, have concluded that given the latest marketing and financial data, and considering the size of its intended market, AND its current development budget, cannot possibly make enough money to satisfy our stockholders."

I AM the spindoktor afterall and can spot this crap from the Gammulan quadrant.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

I was very much looking forward to this as well. I have HarpoonII Admiral Edition. It may be DOS based, but the game was fun. I suspected this was going to happen after the game kept missing it's ship dates.

Oh well, I did see speculation on the UbiSoft forums that Harpoon4 was very dumbed down from the game it was. Oh well, I will now think about buying Harpoon3, which is HP2 updated for Windows.

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

Translation: "We, the suits at Ubisoft, have concluded that given the latest marketing and financial data, and considering the size of its intended market, AND its current development budget, cannot possibly make enough money to satisfy our stockholders."

Sad but true. Thats the reality of game development. I mean, just think, they [publishers] made (well they suggested it and the writing was alredy on the wall) me change the name and focus of a BC game. Thats the industry - and its not getting any better.

Have you guys seen/heard what they did with LOMAC? They didn't even ship it with a worthy manual, keyboard sheet or anything. They just shoved it in a box and shoved it out the door. Hence the reason behind http://www.lomac-manual.com/

Guest rtoolooze

Ya Derek, I picked up LOMAK. And yes, no freakin key card in the box! There was supposed to be one, but somehow they got left out of the first run. And yes, skimpy booklet. The manual is on the disk in pdf form tho (As you already know). I am having a blast with it anyway. Graphics are nice. But even the fastest computers cant handle the graphics turned all the way up.

O well, its got some years to grow. Remember what shape Falcon 4 was in when it was first released? (What a kick a** manual that had tho!)

Anyway, am having fun playing around with it.

Guest Grayfox

damn... i love naval sims. i had the old 688 attack sub for the PC and loved it. i still have Janes 688i hunter/killer... oh well, looks like ill have to break that one out again and download some mods for it... along with the janes fleet combat sim. friggin ubisoft. my view of them is slowly going down the drain.

Guest Grayfox

as an addendum to my above post...

quote:

Have you guys seen/heard what they did with LOMAC? They didn't even ship it with a worthy manual, keyboard sheet or anything. They just shoved it in a box and shoved it out the door.

i just looked at this... you gotta to be friggin kidding me. they ship the product with a crap manual, then expect you to buy their "full leatherbound version" which they should have shipped with the product to begin with???

no friggin way. they can take the leather and wipe their asses with it. this has totally trashed my view of ubisoft...

Guest rtoolooze

Ya, they should of shipped a printed manual with the game, but it is on the cd in pdf form.

One thing I will say, despite some bugs, the more I play and dig deeper into this sim, the more I like it. The graphics, (for a flight sim) are simply astounding. Flying thru a storm is incredible!

I'm already flying user made missions that are cool. This sim will only get better as time goes on.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

Sad but true. Thats the reality of game development. I mean, just think, they [publishers] made (well they suggested it and the writing was alredy on the wall) me change the name and focus of a BC game. Thats the industry - and its not getting any better.

Have you guys seen/heard what they did with LOMAC? They didn't even ship it with a worthy manual, keyboard sheet or anything. They just shoved it in a box and shoved it out the door. Hence the reason behind http://www.lomac-manual.com/

Affirmative on the manual, I just spent 63 USD for the third party manual and shipping...

Finding an acceptable manual was one of the highpoints of BCMG for me.

rvs

quote:

Originally posted by LostInSpace:

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Those b*stards
. Goddamnit!!! I was so looking forward to this one.

Damn sounds like they used the same PR script excuse that was used from Sierra when they canned Space Quest 7.

I KNOW!!!! Son of a gun I really really wanted SQ 7 to come out...All the time wasted playing all the others...

Well...wasted isn't really the word...I loved those games..

• 2 weeks later...