Eve Online Preview

Yeah, I'm looking forward to Eve too, though the reports from the testers are best described as being bi-polar.

EnB was a disaster from the word go, so no surprise there - but I hope EVE pulls it off.

Guest rtoolooze

I too am on the beta, and just started playing today. The graphics are pretty good. And so far I hav'nt had any server issues. I just wish it was'nt a point and click game. I don't care that much for RTS games. (The Total War series being the only exception, and I cannot wait for TW:Rome)

I'd rather be flying the ship myself, and doing the combat myself. But, I hav'nt played that much yet, so I really can't say much about it.

Anyway, we'll see.

• 3 weeks later...

Eve has gone gold, they plan on going live May 6th.

And it's just as I expected. In my opinion,it isn't quite ready. I still get numerous system errors and many random crashes to desktop. So it is just as I mentioned above, the publisher, Simon & Schuster Interactive is going to shove it out the door incomplete to start the cash flow and worry about fixing bugs and play balance later. Thereiscurrentlyone especially aggregious balance issue I have had the displeasure of experiencing that is going to lose them a great many subscribers. IE: It has to do with your AE's

security status. Which you easily trash by doing nothing more than taking a pot shot at another player. If another player has a less than stellar security rating, they will pop up as a threat causing your targeting sytem to automatically lock them, This isn't too bad, unless you are fighting pirate NPC's Then this other player gets locked by your sensors and gets shot by your weapons. THen you get an immediate message that the authorities are going to hunt you down and kill you, which they do with great fervor. I lost three very expensive ships for doing nothing more than taking an accidental shot at another player while battling pirates. I could understand having the peacekeepers hunting you down if you killed another player. But the only way to kill someone is to destroy their ship then perform an action called podding . After your ship is blown out from under your butt, you end up in an escape pod for the return trip to a station to pick up another noob ship from the insurance company. Destroying a pod leaves the players' frozen corpse floating in space.

Eve has a long learning curve with a very very basic tutorial when you start. There is still some content missing and they will be tweaking the hardware right up to the live date, but it runs better now than when I started, except for those aggravating random CTD's.

You can do just as well in the game playing as an indy but the real wealth can only be gained by joining or starting a corporation where all the members work together to advance the agenda and the treasury I foresee the 3000AD corporation owning a system or two You would make a great CEO, SC

It's all setup in GUI with lots of windows and menus to drill down into. Icons galore too. It will be frustrating for newbs trying to build up a ship after they spend a fortune on new items only to find out they don't have a specific skill needed to fit or use these items. The skill system is set up in a rank and level fashion Where it takes five levels to advance a skill rank. I had one skill level that reported a total training time of 145 days to complete. we're talking real time days here folks. But the nice thing is that the skill training timer runs whether you are logged on or not. So we're talking months or even years to max out a character. I'm thinking Ebay, here I come.

Eve has the potential to succeed just as big as EQ. only time will tell.

If only I could mix & match EVE with BCM... what a game that would be!

[*]Market Driven Economy

[*]Ability to land on planets

[*]Ability to create items

[*]First Person Prospective

[*]Ability to customize Character Apearance

[*]Ability to command Assets (Fighters, ATV's, Shuttles, Subs)

[*]Massive Universe with hundreds of Planets

[*]Ability to take over stations and launch crafts from them

Man, that would be some game! Of course it would probably require a Quad Athlon64 Machine to run, but what the heck, by the time it's made people will have that Right?

quote:

Originally posted by Darkling:

If only I could mix & match EVE with BCM... what a game that would be!

[*]
Market Driven Economy

[*]
Ability to land on planets

[*]
Ability to create items

[*]
First Person Prospective

[*]
Ability to customize Character Apearance

[*]
Ability to command Assets (Fighters, ATV's, Shuttles, Subs)

[*]
Massive Universe with hundreds of Planets

[*]
Ability to take over stations and launch crafts from them

Man, that would be some game! Of course it would probably require a Quad Athlon64 Machine to run, but what the heck, by the time it's made people will have that Right?

Umm, everyone would want to merge their favorite game with BCM type of freedom. You'd be hardpressed to find someone that didnt. Well...maybe not solitaire. I for one would like to see a star trek or star wars game get some inspiration from SC....but i doubt its gonna happen anytime soon especially since they make so much money splitting up those brand names into multiple titles all focusing on one particular taste and ignoring the others. Perhaps star wars galaxies will get close to that when they make the space expansion but im not optimistic. I heard they are having troubles making the current idea gel together.

Ah well - never did make the Beta for EVE - to large a download for my humble 56K to take unfortunatly still may give it a try at some stage. But I think my online gaming is booked.

Star Wars Galaxies - coming soon (I hope)

BCO - This will complete my online MMORPG sessions!

Don't have money time for any more!

quote:

Originally posted by Forever Light:

Perhaps star wars galaxies will get close to that when they make the space expansion but im not optimistic. I heard they are having troubles making the current idea gel together.

The initial phase will be something similar to Anarchy online and about a year later they will be coming out with ships for you to visit other planets. In the mean time they suggest you save up some serious cash, since the ships will be EXPENSIVE!.. which leads me to beleive that they are purposely trying to save the Space adventure for only the most HARD CORE fans of the game. That could be a good thing, since it will probably keep a lot of the greifers out of space, but then again, you've got to invest some serious time to make it happen.

Eve update:

Well, the Alpha test will be over officially tonight. Now the real beta test begins with paying customers doing the bug hunting. Should go over like a Lead Zeppelin. Can you say "Hindenburg"?? The cash cow will be ground into hamburger faster than a speeding bullet. I predict that the SSI' marketing Manager in charge of Eve will be looking for work by the end of May.

I don't know who sent you that rant, SC, but they were pretty accurate in their assessment of this so called beta. To me Beta testing implies shaking the bugs out of completed code I didn't get in on the test until the final phase (7) and they were still adding content in a piecemeal fashion all the way through it. The game will be released with the higher game functions being relatively untested. I'm talking the parts that will take the player a very long time to reach. They decided to test this part of the program on the last day of testing as an Armageddon day. They gave all active characters a bank full of money and made Battleships available along with alot of goodies for these ships and porked everything in the process. I couldn't make a gate jump without getting a system error, then after a jump I was dead in space until I relogged. They have a great idea and premise, just very very poor execution and mismanaged testing. It will die a rapid death and fall off the radar like all the others. Pity, really. It had great potential.

New Eve update:

Last day of beta testing truly turned out to be Armageddon day for Eve. After applying the Armageddon day patch, I was able to play A whole two hours before they pulled the server down for yet another patch to fix what they screwed up. After two and half hours of down time. I attempted to log in only to find that the autopatcher was nonfunctioning. No update to be found even on the download site. So the beta testers have effectively been given the old heave ho. Get out and stay out until you buy our game and sign up for $12.95 USD a month. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. They have displayed all the expertise and professionalism of XGamer. Steer well clear of this one kiddies.

CCP= Crap Crappier Productions. Produced by S &SI Spit &Shove It. Buffoons the lot of them.

quote:

Originally posted by Wolferz:

New Eve update:

I was able to play A whole two hours before they pulled the server down for yet another patch to fix what they screwed up. After two and half hours of down time.

The Game server is still down ... what is that almost 6Hrs total?

Eve online: Final report.....

Well, boys and girls, what can I say? The following comments are going to be extremely negative. But I calls them like I Sees them. Apparently the Eve forums couldn't handle negative posts because every one of the ones I posted in my frustration to enjoy an experience that is going to be rare and virtually unattainable in the live version of the game were summarily deleted. I guess they didn't want potential customers to see the game for what it is. An unpolished unfinished piece of potentially excellent code. But I digress.

Judging from the number of players listed as being in the gameworld prior to the removal of that particular feature. I would guesstimate that the Armageddon day debacle probably cost them around a million dollars in sales of the client and six months of subscriptions.

I have alpha and beta tested many mmogs. And there has always been one common denominator. The Devs have always had a rather bad habit of shooting themselves in the foot by treating the players and fans like so much pond scum. Not worthy of their omnipotent attention. I sent the CCP devs a nice bug report with some good advice. Probably went straight in the round file.

I have removed the Eve client from my hard drive this morning, defragged and it is quite possible it will never return. Most of the things you have to do in the game are mindnumbingly boring. or require little if any thought or intervention on the players part. It will all boil down to who has the patience and alot of time on their hands to waste mining asteroids and carting the stuff back to a station for refining and sale of the resulting ore and the most members in their corporation and who can afford the Phattest ships. No strategy whatsoever.

in Summary, If you enjoy being bored out of your mind, Waste your money on this title.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to honestly say, I think gamespot was a little to generous with their score, Wolferz has painted a pretty accurate picture. I was in the EVE beta, and that is one of the most boring games I have ever played in my life. Any of the BC games make EVE look like complete garbage. The most fun I had in the game was making my portrait picture in the first 5 minutes. It was all downhill from there.

I have never played the game, but the review reflects what I've been told about it. I've been told that you will spend most of your gametime mining and travelling. whee ..

Also when you die, you lose ALOT. Even if you have insurance or something you only get near 10% of what your lost.

• 3 months later...

I'm confused. Didnt the video industry as a whole do like three times the revenue of the movie business? I read a lot but I would guess that I'm in the minority. Is it not profitable enough for them? I dont get it.I can't believe Simon and Shuster is making so much selling books they can afford to dump the video business. So one help me out here.

Well I seem to be at odds with most people here. I loved Eve. If it weren't for time issues I'd be playing it now.

I was a beta tester, and had it preordered for the live release. Didn't regret a second of it. It's beautiful and immersive, and if you join a decent corporation (which, to be fair, is what CCP have always said the game is all about) you can have more fun than in any other MMORPG I've played.

Hopefully at some point I'll be able to go back to it for a month to see what's happening. Can't wait!

quote:

Originally posted by Huwie:

Well I seem to be at odds with most people here. I
loved
Eve. If it weren't for time issues I'd be playing it now.

erm, the selling of the video unit has nothing to do with you liking Eve.

Obviously if the video games unit was making money, they won't need to sell it, would they? Obviously - as was suspected - they buried a fortune into an MMOG that didn't make the numbers.

Just think. A company that doesn't have a track record of releasing high-end games, goes and invests in an MMOG. A space based on no less. What are the odds of that being successful enough for a publisher to declare it profitable?

Publishers don't give a toss if the game is good or not. All it has to do is sell enough to stay profitable. Eve is not profitable I would imagine.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by Huwie:

Well I seem to be at odds with most people here. I
loved
Eve. If it weren't for time issues I'd be playing it now.

erm, the selling of the video unit has nothing to do with you liking Eve.

Obviously if the video games unit was making money, they won't need to sell it, would they?

Have I missed something? All I meant was that I don't have enough free time to play a MMORPG. Any MMORPG. And if I only had time to play one, it'd be Eve.

quote:

Eve is not profitable I would imagine.

Probably - the highest number of players that have ever been simultaneously logged in is 6,301. It's a pity. Oh well, it's their (the people who don't play) loss.

• 2 months later...

I must admit, I'm hooked on the damned thing, only because I was dumb enough to buy it and I now have a great deal of time invested in a character. Too much to just drop it.

If CCP ever gets their act together it might become the game they set out to create. At this time they have yet to finish implementing the full feature set, instead opting to clean up some areas of the game world that were shoddy to begin with.

They still have some niggling little problems that are in sore need of an iron, but here's hoping.Since I now have too much time on my hands, Eve has served to keep me busy during long lonely days at home alone.

Graphically the game is gorgeous. That's really the only good thing I can say about it.

I'm surprised S & S didn't drop it sooner. It's a niche game and like all the ******* publishers out there they are after one thing... $$$$$ I suspect Eve wasn't the cash cow they expected although I'm sure CCP is cashing in on the subscriptions. Just guesstimating I would say they probably have at least 10 to 15 thousand subscribers or more, judging by the numbers you see logged on at any given time, usually in excess of 4k on the weekends and 1k plus any other time. I'll be plunking my dough down on UC when it's released and keep Eve in the background to fill some time when needed, at least until it comes time to test BCO

Thanks for shoving us out of the loop on UC DC