Galaxy Andromeda Cancelled

Parias

Gargh! Another space game bites it. Galaxy Andromeda, originally known as Imperium Galactica 3, has been officially cancelled. The full PR snazz can be found here: http://www.cdv.de/index.php?s=cdvag&id=106...34ec6b081fdd3f4

Some really depressing news... between this and Homeworld 2, I was hoping the space game market might start picking up a little more. Now that one of the major contenders has gone down... ack. The only thing fans have left at this point is the sexy tech demo that was leaked a couple of years back - which looked and ran well enough to make one believe the game was nearly finished at the time, no less. Right now though, it looks like CDV's doing everything they can to sweep all evidence that the game ever existed under the carpet, and the official forums will probably be down soon.

Blah

quote:

LucasArts has decided to stop production on Full Throttle: Hell on Wheels.

?We do not want to disappoint the many fans of Full Throttle,? says Simon Jeffery, president of LucasArts, ?and hope everyone can understand how committed we are to delivering the best quality gaming experience that we possibly can.?

That first comment makes no sense at all just by cancelling it is a disappointment. If they wanted not to disappoint, don't cancel the game.

Or if they were sincere about releasing the best quality game what's up with Star Wars:Galaxies! Now that's a game that should have been shelved (and I don't mean the store shelves either).

Actually, I think everyone in that company of late is sniffing too many light sabers.

[ 08-09-2003, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Of course! Cancel the good, promising games and keep making the crappy ones that never sell! What an absolutely BRILLIANT financial decision.

Seriously, CDV needs to stop funding garbage like Grom and Blitzkrieg and put *more* money into projects like Galaxy Andromeda. Why not cancel some of those low-budget XBox titles?

quote:

Originally posted by Scrivener:

Of course! Cancel the good, promising games and keep making the crappy ones that never sell! What an absolutely BRILLIANT financial decision.

Seriously, CDV needs to stop funding garbage like Grom and Blitzkrieg and put *more* money into projects like Galaxy Andromeda. Why not cancel some of those low-budget XBox titles?

And how exactly is it that you know that the cancelled game was good and promising?

Fact is, IG3 had a lot of setbacks and I already predicted - back when the entire dev team quit - that it would be canned. It seems I was right and that the re-assignment to another team was just a temporary stop gap.

So, would u have rather they continued funding a half-baked game? How about this, do you have ANY idea how much money it has cost CDV to keep the project going? And do you expect them - amidst losses - to keep throwing money in a well? Not ever publisher is Microsoft (who kept throwing money in the Freelancer well and after 5+ years of development, hasn't even sold 70K units - a tremendous loss by all accounts) you know.

And being the space sim genre doesn't help either. It is a niche dead genre and no publisher wants to invest in it - unless they can get it for cheap or as a pick-up (95%+ completed) deal.

Homeworld2 has a lot going for it and I'm quite sure that its inevitable release helped CDV make this decision to cancel IG3.

quote:

And how exactly is it that you know that the cancelled game was good and promising?

Well from screen shots and the preview movies and on the rare occasion an E3 tech demo leak as with DOOM 3. I played that demo and let me tell you that game is gunna rock. And we all know of Half Life 2 just from the E3 previews and all I can say is DAMN. Also from beta samples that are released to the many game review web sites such as gamespot most of the time however the guys from gamespot are invited to the development house where a particular game is being developed and get a hands on test of the game then talk about their perception of the game and it's game play. All that is taken into consideration by me as well as I'm sure the rest of us here as to either the game is good or is gunna suck squirrel nuts.

quote:

Fact is, IG3 had a lot of setbacks and I already predicted - back when the entire dev team quit - that it would be canned. It seems I was right and that the re-assignment to another team was just a temporary stop gap.

Yeah that is kinda rough when that happens because the new development team needs to review all the previous coding before they can even attempt to start adding more code to the program.

quote:

So, would u have rather they continued funding a half-baked game? How about this, do you have ANY idea how much money it has cost CDV to keep the project going? And do you expect them - amidst losses - to keep throwing money in a well? Not ever publisher is Microsoft (who kept throwing money in the Freelancer well and after 5+ years of development, hasn't even sold 70K units - a tremendous loss by all accounts) you know.

A very good point. Maybe something needs re-thinking in game devoplemnt. Okay your a game developer your game is 75% complete and the game is not being developed as planned or the worst case scenario you lose your development team whaddya do? Well you can run and hide in a closet and cry your eyes out or you can announce a major setback and try to gather together a new development team dumping more loads of cash into this game better yet why not tap into the enormous

resource of talent that's available worldwide via the internet. I know for a fact there is alot of really good programing talent that's out there that have gone unrecognized all because they don't have the right diploma like one from MIT (for example) or the right resume plug-ins like I've worked for LucasArts, Raven, Interplay, GOD (gathering of developers etc.... Well you get the idea. All you need to get most of this talent on board is the promise of grandeur and a piece of the action. There are pros and cons to this however like the dropping out from development for one reason or another so then you just get the next guy hand him the code and let him take a crack at it. Take for example the development of STARFLIGHT III a bunch of fans of the game got tegether contacted the copyright holder of the game from Binary Systems got the green light and take a look at what they've done in their spare time and all from internet talent (they've also got a few of the original development team on board as advisors)

STARFLIGHT3 and you know what THE GAME IS GOING TO RELEASED FOR FREE!!! Now if these guys can do this what's up with the corporate game development houses?

quote:

And being the space sim genre doesn't help either. It is a niche dead genre and no publisher wants to invest in it - unless they can get it for cheap or as a pick-up (95%+ completed) deal.

You know they kept trying to sell eveyone about the adventure game genre being dead but here we are years later buying new adventure games and good ones at that thanks to companies like Dreamcatcher. Yeah there was a point and time when the adventure games did dry up but they've come back stronger than ever. Thanks to games like Gabriel knight, Longest Journey, Siberia, Siberia 2, Blade Runner, and let's not forget Monkey Island. I'm still waiting for a Grim Fandango 2 though. Anyway I say just give it time and the same will happen to the Space Sim.

Lately we've been getting about 1 good adventure game per year. Most of what Dreamcatcher spits out is utter garbage.

1) Longest Journey = Greatest game ever.

2) MYST 3 = Very good adventure from PRESTO (RIP those gods of adventure gaming)

3) Blade Runner = That's a few years old. An absolutely fantastic adventure game, though. And lots of replayability at that.

4) Syberia = IMO, was just blech. It's story was written specifically as an excuse to justify the ridiculous mechanical-based puzzles. One of Dreamcatcher/Adventure Company's better games, but still ultimately lame.

Thank God the future of adventure gaming isn't looking so bleak these days. Just a few of the games we can look forward to through 2004:

1) Sam & Max 2

2) Full Throttle 2

3) Runaway

4) The Longest Journey:static

With any luck, we'll have an english version of Runaway in the U.S. by the end of August. Aside from TLJs, this is one of the games I'm currently most exited about.

Also of special note to fans of a good adventure:

1) Gothic (Available)

2) Arx Fatalis (Available)

3) Gothic 2 (UK Available)

4) Call of Cthulhu (2004)

While not traditional adventures (Actually, they're more like light-RPG/Adventures) fans of exploration and puzzle solving will get a great kick out of these offerings. Gothic 2 can sometimes be imported from GoGamer.com or Chipsbits.com. If you can't import it, you can wait another month or so for the US version.

quote:

Originally posted by LostInSpace:

Now if these guys can do this what's up with the corporate game development houses?

Because working for free and paying a team money to do it, are two completely different things.

Thats just silly to assume that because a bunch of folks can do a game (which has taken years as far as I know), then a publisher - who is in it for financial gain - can do the same. Thats just plain silly.

Scrivener, Lucas has canned Full Throttle 2. Or did you not see that mentioned earlier?

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Because working for free and paying a team money to do it, are two completely different things.

Thats just silly to assume that because a bunch of folks can do a game (which has taken years as far as I know), then a publisher - who is in it for financial gain - can do the same. Thats just plain silly.

Ah SILLY is my middle name . Seriously though I was just tossing some ideas out. I knew I'd probably be ragged on about it.

As for the hobbyist as with StarFlight3 I've been waiting for that game since 720 b.c. but I'm a patient person. It's just amazing to me that they've stuck with it and not one thought of cancelling it even though it's taken years.

quote:

Scrivener, Lucas has canned Full Throttle 2. Or did you not see that mentioned earlier?

He's in denial.

• 3 months later...

Just saw this over at Blues News

quote:

Just when it looked like the game formerly known as 'Imperium Galactica 3' would be lost in space, it is now back on track as one of the most eagerly awaited hits of 2004 thanks to a worldwide rights deal announced by Benelux's leading independent publisher HD Interactive of Amsterdam. Earliest views of the game have inspired such descriptions as 'visceral, futuristic and captivating' and 'absolutely gorgeous', and now the real-time mission-based tactical space game for PC has not only found a new publishing home with HD Interactive, but also a new focus with the title: 'Nexus'.

Under development in Budapest by Mithis Games, Nexus is heading for a worldwide release in September 2004. "Nexus is a true gamers' game," said Mike Klumper, MD of HD Interactive. "I was amazed by what I saw of the early code of Nexus. I was blown away by it and we are extremely proud to add this beautiful title to our portfolio. Now it has joined our line-up, Nexus will receive the full attention it richly deserves. By working closely with Mithis, a talented and experienced developer, and giving total focus to the product, we will ensure that Nexus realises its maximum potential in each and every territory." Robert Sugar, CEO of Mithis, said, "Everybody at Mithis is extremely excited about this deal. With HD Interactive's focus, Nexus is in very good hands. "