Pirates of the Burning Sea

Epsilon 5

Anyone else following the developpment of this game? It's a niche game (and a MMORPG) starting in the year 1720 when the 3 great powers were fighting for the Carribean sea, along with opportunistic pirates.

Flying Lab Software is another indie developper who chose to NOT have any publisher and distribute the game via Valve's Steam.

the game is broadband only, and only top gaming machines will handle the game, with ships said to have as up to 350k polygons each ..

Graphics are looking VERY good, with waves and realistic reflections in the water (which is not even done worked on yet) .. just look at this , or some of the pics in this developper log

Due out Q1 '04, but it will not have all the features implemented yet in Release 1

http://www.burningsea.com/

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

Anyone else following the developpment of this game? It's a niche game (and a MMORPG) starting in the year 1720 when the 3 great powers were fighting for the Carribean sea, along with opportunistic pirates.

Flying Lab Software is another indie developper who chose to NOT have any publisher and distribute the game via Valve's Steam.

the game is broadband only, and only top gaming machines will handle the game, with ships said to have as up to 350k polygons each ..

Graphics are looking VERY good, with waves and realistic reflections in the water (which is not even done worked on yet) .. just look at
, or some of the pics in this

Due out Q1 '04, but it will not have all the features implemented yet in Release 1

Damn, looks like Sea Dogs 2 oppss I mean pirates of the carribean (I still like giving that jab ). Looking at the screen shot water looks very nice but the island looks cell shaded. Hey, what's this, a ship with no cannons!? Egads a sitting duck . Looks Very Good Though. I'll keep my eye on this one thanks for the heads up on it Epsilon 5.

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

quote:

Damn, looks like Sea Dogs 2 oppss I mean pirates of the carribean (I still like giving that jab ).

ooh .. i never actually bothered to check that game.

What!! check it out Pirates of the carribean. The game is good visually and the game play. I'm still playing it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

*Jaw drops open*

Woa!?! He's an awesome sound designer, one of my many idols of design. I think we can all rest assured that Pirates of the Burning Sea will totally rock in the sound department.

Seriously, perhaps its just I'm a audiophile that has spent too many hours behind a Cool Pro Edit screen or a mixing board, but I can loose interest in a game fast if the sound sucks. An example is Cossacks. I love the game, I can play it for hours on end with friends over the school network, but the sound sucks. If I'm not playing with friends, I won't even touch the game. There are some sound mods that are decent, but those are merely ok by my standards.

This is great news, I was afraid that the sound might be like PotC's, which was less than satisfactory.

PoBS plans to have dynamic sound generation so each cannon fire sounds a little different from the other ones.

After the sounds, the next step to realism in that game is dynamic clouds, as the current cloud & sky system is pretty generic, save for the sky lightning which was worked on not long ago

Despite that, the seas look real nice

• 4 weeks later...

I don't like this distrubute by Steam thingy; Its really starting to get on my nerves. I like hard copies because I have to format so much .

Oh, and EP5, you need to get a new Avatar... I realize you quit your fleet and all, but don't quit the forum.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr. WeeGee:

I like hard copies because I have to format so much

Why do people still do this? Go to Administrative Tools, take a look at your Event Viewer and fix the problem. Everyone seems to think that the way you "fix" a PC is to reformat. That's just pure garbage -er- Rubbish, pure Rubbish!

Sometimes a format is simply more time effective. If I'm at work and a computer has a problem I'll mess with it for awhile but if I can't figure it out I'll reformat it in a heartbeat because I can reformat and have it built up again before a solution to the original problem could be found.

Same goes for my home computers....

quote:

Oh, and EP5, you need to get a new Avatar... I realize you quit your fleet and all, but don't quit the forum.

I always use avatars to show my allegiance, and since i have none atm, well, no avatar. That is, unless i am allowed to use a planetside or solnavy avatar, which i doubt

This is my solnavy avatar ..

quote:

Originally posted by Darkling:

Everyone seems to think that the way you "fix" a PC is to reformat. That's just pure garbage -er- Rubbish, pure Rubbish!

You're right, it is Rubbish. But thats not why I'm reformatting.

Darkling, do you do any sound design work? Unfortunately, the software that Sound Designers like me use often times puts temp files in the stupidest places; often times in even the WinNT directory. Plus it is pretty healthy for windows to do a format every year.

Not to mention, sometimes I format because I screw too much up tinkering, so I back up my primary hard disk and reformat. Viola', problem solved.