EA's ROTK - Multiplayer with no Network Support?

Scrivener

Well, here's a piece of information I totally wasn't expecting. Personally, I hope the EA execs responsible for this decision rot in hell.

Although the PC version of Return of the King supports cooperative multiplayer... it does not support LAN, internet, or any other form of network play. No... you have to play cooperative *on the same computer*!!!!!!

I kid you not. Read the new Gamespy review. They saw fit to include online play for PS2, but not even the PC version... the apotheosis of online play!?!? Boy howdy did they lose my sell. Not to mention every other PC gamer who shops at my store

quote:

Originally posted by Scrivener:

Well, here's a piece of information I totally wasn't expecting. Personally, I hope the EA execs responsible for this decision rot in hell.

Although the PC version of Return of the King supports cooperative multiplayer... it does not support LAN, internet, or any other form of network play. No... you have to play cooperative *on the same computer*!!!!!!

I kid you not. Read the new Gamespy review. They saw fit to include online play for PS2, but not even the PC version... the apotheosis of online play!?!? Boy howdy did they lose my sell. Not to mention every other PC gamer who shops at my store

Yup, just another example of game companies stiffing the PC gamer. It's bad enough that we have to deal with crappy console ports and their nightmarish camera man but now they are dumming up the ports! game companies that do that. And they wonder why PC game bootlegging is rampant why buy the crappy port with it's crappy camera angles when you can bootleg in protest. That'll make em listen!

Damn I was looking foward to that game too. I have the demo and it's real sweet. Oh well, save my money for a real PC game like UC or X2.

Posting complaints about it on the EA message boards will get you banned, btw. Apparently defamation of EA and their products is not permited, even when are the complaints are just and true.

At least UC will be out soon, then ROTK won't matter any more anyway.

Well this proves my suspicion that the site www.Gamespot.com is mostly manned by console fanatics by this tame response about the ROTK for PC internet or lan multiplayer.

"The Return of the King looks quite impressive, and each version of the game looks comparably as good. The Xbox version, overall, looks best and boasts the sharpest visuals and the smoothest, most consistent frame rate. The GameCube version is similar, but its frame rate is more prone to fluctuation. The PlayStation 2 version is certainly no slouch, and, while its visuals don't look as sharp as those of the Xbox and GameCube versions, it runs pretty smoothly and boasts the same terrific special effects. The PC version looks great, too, but a top-of-the-line machine is needed to make the game look its best. You may need to run the game at a lower resolution than you're used to in order to get the action to move at an acceptable frame rate."

I played the demo at 1600x1200 with all options set on high with no problem. The only system I could see having trouble with this game on the PC would be a 500mhz to 1ghz with a crappy video card.

"Many players wished that The Two Towers offered a cooperative multiplayer mode, especially since you'd often find yourself fighting alongside computer-controlled allies. The Return of the King provides this option, and it works as well as can be expected. The challenge ramps up to make it worth two players' while, and, though there's not much in the way of new tactics to be found in the two-player version of the game, it's still inherently entertaining to go through these often incredible action sequences with a friend. The co-op mode is probably the least practical on the PC, where you'll want one player using a gamepad and the other using the default keyboard/mouse controls (which work about as well as the gamepad controls on all the other versions). Meanwhile, the PlayStation 2 version of the game uniquely offers the ability to play the co-op mode online and also supports voice communication using a USB headset. The PC version, unfortunately, doesn't have online support, but The Return of the King's co-op mode is better when played with a friend than with a stranger over the Internet, anyway. Also of note, the GameCube version supports Game Boy Advance connectivity with the GBA version of The Return of the King, which is simply used for the transferring of small amounts of experience points between characters."

Who said you had to play with a stranger you get together with friends or family on the internet and if that was case why even bother having that ability on PS2.