Klingon Academy Demo

Anyone tried the new Klingon Academy Demo? While definitely not in the same class as BC3k, it has a few features that make it stand out. The sound effects are quite good (really giving the impression of big ship combat), and the visible damage graphics are superb. Nothing like turning an Excelsior into swiss cheese with disruptors. Also quite impressive to shoot a torpedo at a ship and have a chunk of the ship break off around the torpedo hit, complete with visible decks inside.

Not bad (though graphics are seriously lacking in resolution as max is 640x480). Good for a few moments diversion while waiting for BCM to come out.

I agree. It's also a bit more challenging then you would find in a normal demo. It took me a number of tries to get past the second mission. I like the physics, specificly the nice chunky collisions :]

Its cool but its old technology. Back in '98, it would have been a contender. In fact, they are about 18 months over schedule anyway.

I played the demo too and while chunks falling off ships is fine, it adds nothing to gameplay. Besides, all they did is dynamically re-texture the same model, with a different texture. BCM already has a similar feature, though you won't see the multi-texturing (which is what they used to show the insides of a deck). No wonder they're overdue. smile.gif

And its that one feature, IMO, that has the game limited to 640x480. All those textures are custom designed to fit the model. To support higher res would mean unique textures. At least thats why I think the res won't go higher. At any rate, its based on the SFA engine anyway.

Step into my office for a preview.

http://www.bc3000ad.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000182.html

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 03-03-2000).]

Guest Saito Miyamoto

While I like the number key macros, it can get a bit hairy in the heat of the battle. It is time that games like this start looking into voice activated commands. It would make it oh so much easier, but just as hairy.

------------------

UCV Shinsengumi

Cpt. Saito Miyamoto

Terran/Mercenary

yep they are way over due peeps. They had problems with the engine and frame rates. Frame rates were horrible, I'm sure this game is costing interplay big dollars.

Plus Toreks acting is bad smile.gif

I like starfleet command better, though it had it's flaws.

------------------

Commander Cruis.In

Spectre Fleet

CEO, Sygan Star Station

ICV Defiance

"Dare to be defiant"

[This message has been edited by Cruis.In (edited 03-07-2000).]

for those requesting voice commands for the Klingon Academy Demo:

Apparently, Game Commander works well with the demo (at least according to posts on the Interplay Klingon Academy Board).

This software gives you all the voice control you could ever want in Klingon Academy (at least the registered version does that is).

[This message has been edited by canusa (edited 03-08-2000).]

Someone should write up a free one of those programs like game commander, and put those blokes out of business.

------------------

Commander Cruis.In

Spectre Fleet

CEO, Sygan Star Station

ICV Defiance

"Dare to be defiant"

• 4 weeks later...