Klingon Academy/Terminus first looks

Parias

Well, apparently the gods decided to taunt me, for I have 2 games that showed up in the same day and I only have the HD space for one. Naturally, Klingon Academy went in first smile.gif

All I can say about this game so far is BUY IT! The movies are nice, the graphics rock (seem to look a lot better than the demo/preview version), the frame rate is definately improved, and it's just so addicting!

..Okay, expect a more in-depth review on this once I get off my lazy arse and write one up for Hardnews smile.gif

As for Terminus? Uh, well, my first impression is... interesting. The box showed up looking like the postal people had a rabid mule stomping all over it, and I'm taking that for the sign it is. I'll beat Klingon Academy a few times, then see if I'm willing to load this game onto my system. The CD package, manual, and everything else appear to be intact, but I'm still rather disturbed by the condition this thing appeared in. Judging from the posts on various forums, I'm not the only one who had it show up like this either.

So, uh, conclusion to this quick and possibly slightly pointless first look: Klingon Academy kicks ass, while Terminus just gets stomped all over, literally.

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

Chief Engineer, Starstation Destiny

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"Next time you're passing by and feel like dropping in, keep passing by untill you get to a river, and THEN drop in." -Jake Logan

quote:

Originally posted by Parias:

So, uh, conclusion to this quick and possibly slightly pointless first look: Klingon Academy kicks ass, while Terminus just gets stomped all over, literally.

Hm, I don't think it starts at the postal level Parias...I actually think PR people, in their eternal frustration at having to deal with journalists, like to throw in a few dents to remind us how much we love them. wink.gif

Erik

[This message has been edited by Gryphon (edited 06-30-2000).]

Yes, KA is a keeper and will occupy some of my idle time until BC:M release. Clean up that HDD Parias biggrin.gif We all know how easy it is to collect junk on HDDs these days.

TTFN

[This message has been edited by Gallion (edited 07-01-2000).]

Yeesh, tell me about it! I'm the one who's running around with a 10 gig HD that only has under a gig free at all times... usually around 400 meg redface.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"Next time you're passing by and feel like dropping in, keep passing by untill you get to a river, and THEN drop in." -Jake Logan

hehehehe...BTW, for those that are a wondering. KA is decent training program until BCM release IMO.

Not a plug just relaying my experience. Just ask Rattler cool.gif Our match resulted in a split. Though Insurgent One is one tough cookie to nail tongue.gif

TTFN

Heh, what happened with Rattler anyways? I was about to blow his Sha'kurian vessel to pieces when he disconnected, dumping us both. Connection loss?

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

One of you guys pulled the plug on Ole Rattler, that's what happened! smile.gif"><P>C

------------------

Rattler, Insurgent One

Commander-In-Chief,

Insurgency

Official Tester,Battlecruiser Series

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Still Kickin' after all these years!"

I am ready and willing to rumble with ye there young Guy biggrin.gif

See ya soon cool.gif

TTFN

------------------

Commander Gallion

GCV Graf Spee

*1st Squadron, *Corsair Wing

Stationed, *Starbase Cerberus

"Run Silent, Run Deep"

ICQ# 29486270, EST (GMT-5)

=Wraith Fleet=

Second in Command, Wraith Fleet

Bushi of the Dragon Council

You see? YOU SEE!? biggrin.gif

Kill 'em with paper cuts, that's the way to go! biggrin.gif

------------------

Commander David "Whisper" Liev

*Fighter Commander

Sationed, Wraith HQ

"The underestimated weapon will deal overestimated havoc."

ICQ # 78084562

=Wraith Fleet=

Well I DID tell you to watch out for my broadsiding smile.gif That ship has about 6 multi-warhead launchers on it's left and right flanks. All I need to do is line some unfortunate sap up in there with the gunnery chair, pound on the secondary fire button a few times, and watch him explode horrendously! It's a damn fine ship smile.gif Thanks for the compliments though

In a slightly different topic, I just beat the game right now, and MAN, this game spanks just about any other game I've played lately, Freespace 2 included. Suh-weet baby. 6 CDs, and all worth it.

The only sucky thing about beating it is the fact that I now need to write up my review... although that's not as bad as the other thing I now need to try and play to death...

*Glances at squished Terminus box and sighs*

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

[This message has been edited by Parias (edited 07-03-2000).]

MP is par-excellance IMO Parias. The more BMF shiptypes in MP game the more processing power sucked up. I only have a 2ch ISDN (128k)connection where as you, Andergum, and Rattler have Cable or xDSL - and I was the host server. Not bad IMO.

The lag that ye stated that ye experienced whilst chatting was due to my preoccupated attention state. I was concentrating on fragging the comp ships biggrin.gif so my chat replies to you were delayed.

All-in-all, KA is an excellent product and is in contention for those 'zines Game of the Year Award(s). This will probably change once BC:M is released.

TTFN cool.gif

------------------

Commander Gallion

GCV Graf Spee

"Run Silent, Run Deep"

=Wraith Fleet=

[This message has been edited by Gallion (edited 07-04-2000).]

Whelp, here I am to shamelessly plug my KA review smile.gif Now it's time to move on to Terminus........ my first bad game review, I can't wait!

...Well, actually, I can, since I'm still nervous about it making my registry crap out. But alas, I'll do it for the gaming community! Uwa haha!

smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

Well thanks to this thread I picked up a copy of KA today along with my SUSE Linux and Icewind Dale purchase. Didn't think this game would be all that, but it looks to be I've been pleasently surprised. My fellow B-5 fanatical friends will probably PPG my mug for playing something Star Trek but hey... it's like got General Chang man!! wink.gif

Gotta run off to a BBQ and fireworks but I'll be geeking out over this one a bit more later. If anyone is up for it and I get a chance later this week I'll jump in on the MP fray...

Anyone out there playing Earth 2150?? It kicks Dark Reign 2's butt all over the place.

------------------

Commander Ramius

GCV Black Star

1'st Squadron, *Marauder Wing

Stationed, Fenrir Starbase

"Liberate tetute mae. Ex e ferris"

PST

=Wraith Fleet=

quote:

Anyone out there playing Earth 2150?? It kicks Dark Reign 2's butt all over the place.

I'm playing Earth 2150, Vorpal! Now that I have that, I've finally laid to rest Total Annihilation! smile.gif So, Dark Reign 2 sucks?

------------------

Cmdr ShoHashi

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, PreComm Crew, StarStation New Frontier

ICV Aries

ICQ 484321

[email protected]

"Attack With Effectiveness"

Heh, I went to the Star Trek experiance in Las Vegas! manoman! If you like KA you really should go to that...Klingons everywhere and some Furengi too (I know I spelled that wrong) It was so much fun!

------------------

AKUMA MINAKO

ORION FLEET

GCV- TENCHI

DETERRENCE BATTLE GROUP

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

"War is the plague of Mankind, created by Mankind."

ShoHashi: I've played more T.A. then anyone would believe. My friends at my old work (and others who would meet me there) and I would have all nighter LAN games going, we even played like that before The Core Contingency was released... then the Krogoth came and well... =)

I agree Earth 2150 may just be 'the one' to dethrone T.A. And yeah, D.R. 2 is well... awful IMHO

quote:

ShoHashi: I've played more T.A. then anyone would believe. My friends at my old work (and others who would meet me there) and I would have all nighter LAN games going, we even played like that before The Core Contingency was released... then the Krogoth came and well...

Vorpal, its nice to know that I am not the only die-hard TA fanatic! Excellent game. I am hoping that they will release new units for Earth 2150..but it's just wishful thinking!

Question to all you that have Klingon Academy...how are the cinematics? Are they crisp or grainy? I have a Viper 2 and was wondering. Also, how is the manual? Pretty good or pretty awful?

------------------

Cmdr ShoHashi

Spectre Fleet

ICV Aries

ICQ 484321

[email protected]

It will tax the old Viper 2 ShoHasi biggrin.gif As to the cinematics, best I have seen in some time. Gameplay is good, M/P is kinda quirky but it is worth it.

Why just last night I had The Necromancy lined up in me sights. I was about to give him the old what fer and unload a serious barrage up the old blind-six area, but then I gets a tele call that ruined my entire setup rolleyes.gif

Entire episode resulted in a draw. The Necromancer is not an easy nut to crack, unlike Parias is cool.gif

BLUF - I would recommend to any to procure and enjoy. Best cap-ship simulator on the marhet until BCM release.

TTFN

P.S. - Yep, I be a T.A. nut too biggrin.gif

------------------

Commander Gallion

GCV Graf Spee

"Run Silent, Run Deep"

=Wraith Fleet=

[This message has been edited by Gallion (edited 07-06-2000).]

I got Klingon Academy, and it is a dandy. If you want to play give me an ICQ message (#10874943). smile.gif

p.s. Here is a funny joke:

How are the Enterprise and toilet paper similar? They both go around the moon wiping out Klingons....!!! LOL... biggrin.gif Get IT?!?!? .....err.... never mind.....

------------------

"lord"David

Spectre Fleet

Pre-comm., Cmdr. Alpha Prime

ICV Dark Saber

Official BC3K Tester

quote:

Entire episode resulted in a draw. The Necromancer is not an easy nut to crack, unlike Parias is

LOL, Gallion. I did manage to pick it up about a half hour ago. Soon as I'm done making my rounds here on the board, I'm gonna install it.

LordDavid- Good one...I'll have to remember that one! smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr ShoHashi

Spectre Fleet

ICV Aries

ICQ 484321

[email protected]

OK, when someone sent me this link, I must admit, I was tempted to post, but, I'll leave it up to Parias. That idiot, MohamedX's post are littered with some many inconsistencies, that its clearly obvious he's just spewing garbage.

http://www.stationterminus.com/cgi-bin/ubb...n=240&fs=1&dp=5

What gets me is that they are goin on about stealing ideas from BC. Not sure if SC said it or not, but I've never seen anything from SC along those lines. All I ever saw was a quick post on someones review who said terminous was a first when BC3K was. (ok we could go back to elite, but lets stick to more modern stuff)

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV- Eclipse

Chief Security Officer

Learning is not compulsory... Neither is survival.

One MohammeD_X Was a registered user on this forum. I remember him. He has 15 posts here but I could only find http://www.3000ad.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000100.html that one. Probably due to the cleanup. I seem to remember that MohammeD_X asked a lot of questions and was generally never satisfied. Correct me if I am wrong.

Is MohammeD_X On the Terminus forum the same guy? Could be.

Then he cussed a bit. Then gave some points back. Then cussed again then gave a couple more issues back. smile.gif He's interested in BCM (A I Am ) as well. Eh, whatcha gonna do? smile.gif

I hope he likes BCM.

------------------

Commander Chavik

Spectre Fleet

ICV Phoenix

Official BC3K Tester

"We Shall Arise From The Ashes"