Looking Glass Studios Closes it's Doors...

Normaly I wouldn't post this type of topic here but this to me feels like a major loss to the gaming community. I would assume most people here are familiar with Looking Glass Studios and their line of games, they where the makers of some of the best (and least recognized) games ever.

While everyone else was going on about Doom and how great it was, I was spending countless hours running through Citadel station in full on Quake style 3-D graphics. I didn't play Doom for the first two years of it's release because of System Shock. It actually made me ask "What's so good about it??". It wasn't until I played Doom MP on a friend's LAN that I started to get into id's games.

No System Shock 3 I guess, no Thief 3... this sucks. For now on I think it's going to be "The Battle Cruiser Series, our last best hope for decent gameing..."

Guest Remo Williams

Wow what a shock I have quite a few of there games this is truly unfortunate news. eek.gif Oh well with BC:M just around the corner I wouldn't of had time for anything else anyway. biggrin.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Remo Williams

GCV-Lexington

Prime Fleet

Gamma Wing

1st Squadron, (The Guarddogs)

Vorpal, do you know why? Where did you get that information?

I was really looking forward for Thief 3 frown.gif

Ok. I've found some news about it! Sad, very sad. I'm gonna old on to my boxes of Thief Gold and Thief II. They are very precious to me now.

Well Derek, if it continues like that, you will be the only one who can make inovating games in this industry.

------------------

M. Pelletier

ICQ# 7630611

E-Mail: [email protected]

[This message has been edited by Martin Pelletier (edited 05-25-2000).]

NOOOOOOOOO! I was enjoying Thief, Thief 2, and Sys Shock 2! I was hoping they'd start a new engine from scratch and do some kind of modern Thief-type game! That sucks. Why did they close down? Money?

Well, here's why they did it.

Basically they weren't making enough money off of their products to keep the company going. They had always had financial trouble, but this seemed to be it for them.

It gets worse though. Eidos COULD have saved the company, but it turns out that the bank was pissed off at them for blowing so much cash into Ion Storm/Delaykatana and not getting anything back that they refused to issue any more cash out to them to buy LGlass. Result? Deal fell through, LGlass is gone, and a lot of good developers are out of the street.

Found this out over on VE.. man, when stuff like this happens, I just wanna kick something. Fortunately I have my empty Razer Boomslang 2000 cookie-tin-can-thingie-majigger smile.gif But seriously though.. kinda sucks how things like Delaykatana can get endless funding, whilst great little developers like this just get pushed under the rug. GARGH!

*Goes off on a cussing spree that would make a seasoned sailor blush*

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

Chief Engineer, Starstation Destiny

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"Next time you feel like dropping in, keep going untill you get to a river, and THEN drop in." -Jake Logan

Man, what's with all the good companies closing? And all the bad ones selling FISHING and sport games? Its a conspiracy...its gotta be.... the aliens are boring us to death before taking over... AAUGH eek.gif

Looking Glass did an awesome job with Ultima Underworld games. For its time, it was a breakthrough for any game.

Sad, sad day indeed frown.gif

Man oh man oh man. No Looking Glass? Darn. They gave me new hope in the tired old first person shooter genre when I played Thief. It's not many time when a company makes ONE orginal title, but Looking Glass made it their speciality. Show's where the Industry has it's priorities, eh?

If you guys want another look at this from one of the LGlass developer's point of view, check out http://members.aol.com/thief2metalage/

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"Next time you feel like dropping in, keep going untill you get to a river, and THEN drop in." -Jake Logan

It is sad to see Looking Glass go, I just hope the staff find new places elsewhere and continue their great work.

Hey I remember Terra Nova

Good game that.

------------------

CMDR DARIEN "WOLF" WOLFE

ORION FLEET

FLEET INTELLIGENCE OFFICER

COMMANDER, ROCKWELL STARBASE

TSUNAMI BATTLEGROUP

GCV - THE BLACKSTAR

http://www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

"There is a Storm coming, a Dark and Terrible Storm."

Well, whatever anybody else says, one thing still stands clear... this sucks ass!

Bluargh, I think I'm gonna go nab the SOF demo again just for the pleasure of nabbing a .44 Silver Talon and blowing some guy's damn head off.

Interesting post BTW SC, you raise quite a few good points there.. but if there's one area where a massive gamer uproar just ABOUT managed to save a game, that's be Babylon 5. As far as I know, they're still chugging away at trying to nab a publisher.. or maybe they've gotten one by now, it's been about a month since I last checked. But they had one hell of a fan base behind them (myself included) which at least made SOME headway. News postings about this started popping up all over the place...

But where am I going with this? I don't think the gaming community is at a stage where they'll cough up a few million dollars to save a company.. I'll just shut up now before I start going in circles again smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

When I read that article the SC put up, it peaked my intrest. I know now this is going to sound incredible, but...before now I have never heard of John Romero. I don't subcribe to any gaming magazines or Times or anything, so that may be it.

Anyways, I eventually got the Daikatana message board at http://www.ionstorm.com/ubb/cgi-bin/forumd...=100&LastLogin=

Big URL. But check this thing out! I was shocked! On this message board we have a supportive and hospitable group of gamers who all have at least one thing in common. But on THAT message board...whoa.

Looking Glass died for that!? What a waste, waste waste. Edios should have pulled the plug on that disaster (the game) after the third year, when the entire bloody team walked out on Romero.

Read what most of those people say about the game. And THAT replaced Thief III, System Shock III, and who knows what other titles Looking Glass would have dreamed up. Sick, sick, sick.

Heh, if you think that's bad, you'll just LOVE the PlanetDaikatana forums... whoopee!

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

Guest CmdrBlacky

Just another gamer down about the demise of Looking Glass Studios. I played Thief, SS, SS2 and TN. All great games for their time. Too bad they had to close their doors.