Homeworld: Cataclysm

Pyro Penance

Buy it. Now. I've just begun to scratch the surface of this game and it's already impressed me vastly. The ships are so detailed, not just with the textures but with the architecture too, I could stare at the mothership all day. Great music, it's different than Homeworlds but still great. Improved gameplay, like time compression thingy, and some other things are kind of hard to explain. Tons of new ships and ugh, I could just go on forever... Simply, the best RTS I've ever played and I'd expect that everyone here would just love it. Buy it. Now.

------------------

Cmdr. Pyro Penance

ICV- Chrono, Spectre Starstation (Antis)

Spectre Fleet

Fixed your sig Pyro. Sorry Pyro, no more personal quotes. You have also not listed your launch base behind your ship's name. But assuming you have a BC that would be Spectre itself as BC's can only launch from Starstations.

[This message has been edited by Charles Lindsey (edited 09-02-2000).]

My boss says that he's already razzed his PR contact at Sierra for copies for the both of us, but hasn't heard back yet.. I can only hope smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

ICV-Galatae, Destiny (Nevuela)

Balor Fleet

ICQ 1293359

Staff member at HardNews

"In class, it's not raise your hand, ask if you can go to the washroom, then go to the washroom; it's raise your hand, ask if you can go to the washroom, go to the place where the toilets are, then go to the washroom."

-Ajax (Duckman)

Ok, I have to correct a few things I said earlier. The music is better than Homeworlds. While some of it isn't a lot of it a so much better that it more than makes up for it. The intro rocks, like intros have never rocked before. Also, it's alot more complicated than HW, with it's commands and funtions, but in a good way. It adds alot to the experience. And one last cool note, they got back the same guy to narrate the cutscenes, which I think is cool. Ok, back to "The Cataclysm"

------------------

Cmdr. Pyro Penance

ICV- Chrono

Spectre Fleet

[This message has been edited by Pyro Penance (edited 09-02-2000).]

Gee, thanks Pyro. You DO realize that I'm going to pop a nerve in my forehead if Sierra doesn't send us copies of this now, right?

..The fact that half the companies I annoy (although Interplay was damn quick with Baldur's Gate 2... took 'em only a couple of days!) take at least a week or two to send crap up here.. BAH!

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

ICV-Galatae, Destiny (Nevuela)

Balor Fleet

ICQ 1293359

Staff member at HardNews

I agree Pyro, the game rocks. The music is great, the graphics are better (though I'm only on the 4'th mission). It all comes together with this nice edgy and moody atmosphere... It might as well be Homeworld II considering how nicely it fits in with the original game. I may never get around to playing ST: New Worlds, my RTS craving has been taken care of for now...

Oh and for anyone looking I found mine at a Software ETC. (Called Babages on the East Coast).

I'd get it... if it was allowed here. frown.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV- Eclipse

Chief Security Officer

Learning is not compulsory... Neither is survival.

quote:

Originally posted by Parias:

..The fact that half the companies I annoy (although Interplay was damn quick with Baldur's Gate 2... took 'em only a couple of days!) take at least a week or two to send crap up here.. BAH!

Hey, Parias...the only way to get in touch with Sierra's PR is to call them. They've replied to my emails all of once. smile.gif

And, err, Interplay - you're talking pre-release BG2 right? As I understand it, its not gold yet so the press, she gets nuffin.

Erik

The password is: Preview

smile.gif

As for Sierra, my boss has a contact up there, so things are looking cool at the moment.

Can't wait for my copy of Giants to get up here as well...

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

ICV-Galatae, Awaiting final assignment

Balor Fleet

ICQ 1293359

Staff member at HardNews

Hehe.. cataclysm is cool.. SIngle player is much better than homeworlds' (HW's single was excellent too). Still the science modules are slowing down the multiplayer games. You can research 5 different things simmultaneously , as long as they are from different fields (you can't research fighter drive and frigate drive at the same time) with Hiigarans. On the other hand, the BEAST cannot research more than 1 technology at a time, period. Research times tend to take very long and therefore balancing issues (not present with the original HW) appear.

It's a good game , as long as you don't try multiplayer..

Guest Commander Hamblin

Homeworld - More trouble than it was worth, more hype than actual game, and I am sooooo bored with it right now, the only thing that's keeping me playing it is the B5 mod.

I honestly don't see what's so good about it. confused.gif

I don't see what you mean "more trouble than it's worth"? The interface (or lack there of) is brillant. And everything released about the game is in there, even the screen shots were directly in game and not doctored. (that's that whole "no hype, all game") What's so good about it is that it's a RTS in space! And it pulled it off flawlessly! In space! A few years ago people would have laughed at the idea. Whatever, I don't get what's so great about Diablo, or any Blizzard product for that matter. Now Extreme Bullriding, there's a quality game!

------------------

Cmdr. Pyro Penance

ICV- Chrono

Spectre Fleet

Hey Commander Hamblin!

Where did you get the B5 mod for Homeworld? I did a search for it and the page for it was offline. I'd like to get it.

Also, have you seen the Battlestar Galactica mod?

------------------

Commodore ShoHashi

ICV Aries, New Frontier (Rinaal)

Station Commander, New Frontier

Bishamon Fleet

ICQ 484321

[email protected]

Hehe, I've seen some Battlestar Galactica, it's pretty cool. Cool story and everything. Starbuck is by far the coolest character on that show, Apollo is a pansy. The cylons were cool but I got a headache sometimes when they talked a lot.

------------------

Cmdr. Pyro Penance

ICV- Chrono

Spectre Fleet

I have checked out this game myself and it looks like an excellent game. The graphics are very much imrpoved over the original Homeworld. I think the idea of linking up units is a tad far fetched but I take what I can get. smile.gif

------------------

Commander Bandus

GCV Defiant, Starbase Masada

Wing Leader, Wraith Fleet/Hammerhead Wing

"Universal Peace Through Deadly Force"

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CmdrBlacky

Thanks. I was waiting for some reviews form Hom:Cat.

I got the bug a few weeks ago and played the original again. Then I got the bug to play a real game. So I restarted BC3K. I just got BG2 in the mail this week so I guess that's next. If I get the Homeworld bug again, it'll go to Cat.