Dynamix

Kush

What? No, the game wasn't supposed to be Descent 4, it has NO relation to the Descent universe. At all.

And, the game quite frankly kicks ass. Both my experiences with the PS2 version and the PC version prove that. Once people make some custom maps and throw vehicles into multiplayer, coupled with the various gameplay modes that will be available AND the geo-modding, this game is going to OWN.

I played the demo... and played with the geo-mod.... damn THIS ROCKS! In the training there's a part where you learn how to make holes in walls... but when you finish doing what the guy tells you... you have plenty of rockets and remote charges left.. hehehe... I went on a demolition mission├®

quote:

Red faction was supposed to be Descent 4... but they played too much with the stuff and it transformed a mine-ship game into a fps miner revolt game.

uhm, thats categorically false.

Interplay own the Descent license. They cancelled Descent 4 when Descent 3 failed at retail. They also passed on Summoner. Volition were then forced to break away and sign with THQ, who later ended up buying the company. Red Faction has *no* relation to the Descent universe. None whatsover. Where the hell did you get that idea from?

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

SC:

If I remember right when Descent 4 was first announced the concet art and other elements that are now in Red Faction were slated for Descent 4. It could simply be recycling stuff on Volitions part, but I don't know for sure.

Also it bears a strange resemblence to PTMC, robot drones I've seen times, and level design all bear resemblance to the descent series.

A quote from the developers that I found on the official forums:

quote:

It is true that Red Faction draws its origins from the Descent series, it is not related to the Descent Trilogy in anyway. Red Faction has been in the making for a long time and shares very little in common with anything Descent-related. Indeed, Red Faction shares much more in common with other First Person Shooters, such as Half-Life, than it does with the Descent Trilogy. The things that are unique to Descent are just not present in Red Faction.

While I think Descent fans will enjoy Red Faction and will find certain parts of the game more appealing than others, I think you do the game an injustice when you call it Descent 4 with a different name. We are truly creating an original game full of things that no one has done before.

Red Faction isnt one of my fav games. I rented it from Blockbuster and played it for hours hoping it would get better but I dont like the fact that no matter how many times the lady tells you "help is on the way" you always see corpses around. Its neat there are no levels but sometimes you can get lost. Some times you enter a place and frustrate yourself trying to figure out where or what to do. There are not enough bad dudes and its like the burst from the rifle only hits him on the first round and he wont get hit again until after hes done his motion even though a burst has 3 shots in it. Makes no sence, anyway dont flame me for having an opinion but thank goodness it was a rent and not buy for me.

As a Freespace fan, I was pissed at Interplay for holding onto the licence for the name, meaning Volition couldn't make a Freespace 3 (IIRC). I think it all got a bit nasty towards the end. Red Faction is a must for me when it comes out. I didn't realise there was a demo out already, must go and get it........

Goes and gets it