Dynamix

Kush

I would love to hear what SC thinks about the Dynamix closure / God Games debacle. I think I can guess based on his many Dev Diary updates, but I'm still curious as to what he would say.

[ 08-10-2001: Message edited by: Kush ]

Just my freaking LUCK! I just bought Tribes II two days ago. Figured that now it is fairly bug free according to fan sites etc.

TWO days I had it and the future of the game goes down the toilet. I guess I shouldn't complaining, feel sorry for all the guys who got fired. Well DAMN you upper level corporate management. Stick your MBAs where the sun .....etc.....

[ 08-10-2001: Message edited by: harrimarkus ]

As nearly as I can tell, all the tribes servers are independent but registered on a master server. I believe that you can use games spy to find them as well. So if the master server goes down, you should be able to find the servers. Of course with all serial numbers in Tribes II I don't know exactly how it would handle it.

quote:

Originally posted by SpotSD:

Does that mean that the tribes and tribes2

servers will go down?? and if so when?

From what I read and understand, the main server that keeps track of the individual servers will not go down. Sierra will also finnish the patch for Tribes2 that is in beta right now. Question is how and who will finnish the patch if all the dynamix people are laid off right away. (All my info is from Voodooextreme)

What I am upset about is, that Tribes 2 is one of those games that could evolve for ever (counter strike - half life anyone?), but now there is no-one to actually work on the game itself anymore!

I think Tribes2 has nice engine, nice graphics and the netcode works well. I love jumping around with the jetpacks etc. It's nothing special and doesn't add that much to the genre, but it is still a nice game.

What's happening to the PC gaming industry? Well, the hunt for money has become greater than the games they punch out. Like Silent Hunter II, a game I've been waiting for for almost two years now, and they set up a delay after delay after delay, and it wouldn't suprise me if the company that bought up SSI (that caused YET another great delay) went to the grave too and with that SH2. And even if the games get out, the servers aren't there forever, like Jane's matchmaking service, or the Tribes II servers. Lots of people played using it (jane's) but the company that held the server saw it as an "unneccesary server that noone use." guess that approximately 10.000 people is nothing these days..

I guess we're all lucky to have an independant person making the greatest space sim for us, since as I see it, BCM will come out (and with a blast!) unless Derek Smart dies. (good grief, may that NEVER happen! ) And this splendid community will keep the game alive, even if some nosy snot went bazookas with the servers and stuff and shut everything down just because they wanted to.

um, this sound very hateful and weird when I read through it myself, but I hope you'll get the point... I'm tired of getting disappointed with game after game. (max payne f.ex.. what a joke...nice gfx but oh-so-short..)

Yeah, I am still sad about Interplay, they made the greatest games. Silent Hunter II has got me worried now, when the game in development gets disturbed like this it always leaves an impact, and if anything happens to Derek well, you can just forget about the PC games all together and switch over to some console game because the stuff that is on the shelves right now is basically crap and there's very few games in development that I am looking forward to, all of them either resemble an advanced game of Doom and I hate pointless games like that or they resemble starcraft which was great but enough is enough. So I guess all of us are just waiting for BCM to alleviate our sorrow and boredom.

Edited for spelling.

[ 08-11-2001: Message edited by: Soback ]

quote:

SpotSD... your sig gets annoying.

For this one I'll have to jump on the Spot's

sig bashing bandwagon and say yes my sig has even got me annoyed with it. It's just to darn long.

So I think I'll change it.

(changed)

[ 08-11-2001: Message edited by: SpotSD ]

Wait a sec, what's sad about Interplay? I hope you're not referring to the canning of Torn. I have everything Black Isle that you can think of (Including Black Isle t-shirt and a bona-fide unopened Gecko-In-A-Can... seriously), and still, I feel no remorse for the canning of Torn. I was rather uneasy at the concept of creating an original campaign setting... let alone a fantasy game using the SPECIAL system. SPECIAL is great for Fallout, but for a high-fantasy venture? Torn was a very risky project, IMHO. But, with the cancelling of Torn, I'm hoping that a Fallout 3D announcement is right around the corner.

[ 08-12-2001: Message edited by: Scrivener ]

Sierra the only thing I hate about them is the way there games load a bunch of crap with the game on your system then you cant uninstall everything (well i have that problem at least).

Plus Im looking forward to Warcraft 3 I think that will be cool. Silent Hunter 2 looks great should come out next month on the 18th I think but we'll see about that one.