The future of games?

R_wilco

I was having an odd conversation with my father the other day, and I mentioned how the older games, like the older Commodore 64 D&D games, and the ELITE series(and of course BCM ) just kept going and going, like big open ended epics.

NOW, however, games have gotten shorter and shorter. Take Max Payne for example, a game with excellent graphics, but paynefully short. Why?

My dad gave his explanation," Your going to think this is ridiculous, but consider it for a minute. What if hollywood sees the gaming industry, and collaborates with game makers to make more money. How would they do that? By making games have more definet, movie-like endings, so that there can be movies based on them. And vice-versa, having games based on movies. That way, in the future, every movie will have a game, and every game will have a movie."

I think that would be horrible, if that was actualy true. What do YOU think?

quote:

Originally posted by Ichitaka:

MechWarrior: The movie Imagine that....

Hmm... in fact Mechwarrior is not only a game... it's an entire universe... the battletech universe... there have been countless novels made in the Battletech universe... I've read some and they are pretty impressive.

A battletech movie wouldn't be suprising, it would even be interesting....

LOL!

Did that movie have anything to do with Wing Commander? It was more like Das Boot II: In Space

Freddy Prinze (sp?) Jr... ugh. Is there such a thing as an over under actor?

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: MerfGlurf ]

Wing Commander was a botch IMHO. It was as if they took the plots of all 4 games and merged them, added in some miscellanious garbage, and called it a movie.

Now, Final Fantasy was great. Nothing to do with the games, but still a great film.

Tomb Raider...didn't see it. Probably not going to.

A battletech movie would be interesting, if done right. But when is a movie EVER done right?

Well, it could work if they just weren't out for the action as they seem to be in every d!mned movie nowadays... but a movie made of Half-Life would be neat if they made it just like the game in a way. The same for the Alone in the Dark games, episode 1 and 4.

anyway, games from movie SCRIPTS on the other hand are just great! As for examples, Indiana Jones IV was made from a moviescript, and it was a exceptionally good game, as for The Dig, that also was made from a script. Now these two are adventure games but it could be done with other games.

Now why couldn't I be a director..

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

Hmm... in fact Mechwarrior is not only a game... it's an entire universe... the battletech universe... there have been countless novels made in the Battletech universe... I've read some and they are pretty impressive.

A battletech movie wouldn't be suprising, it would even be interesting....

FASA is planning on a BT movie ... for years. Doubt they will EVER finish it

quote:

Originally posted by Sidargo:

FASA is planning on a BT movie ... for years. Doubt they will EVER finish it

Hmm, sounds like somebody else I know...(hehe, jk )

quote:

Originally posted by Emmett.hendrick:

I've seen Tomb Raider and I thought it was a let down. Movie tie ins of Games DO NOT work. Period.

My point exactly. The grim future I see for games is this: Movies will be made FOR games, and games will be made FOR movies, thus we get MORE bad movies, and worse, MORE bad games.

A Duke Nukem movie??? Reminds me of the Toxic Avenger series, without the comedy. A battletech/mechwarrior movie would be cool, but don't plan on FASA making it. FASA is now defunct, gone kaput. Unless the companies that bought the rights to BT and Shadowrun produce more stuff without screwing it up (as everyone else does when they buy rights to any games) we may see something in a few years.

[RP]

Lapses back into mourning for the Freedonian Aeronautic and Space Administration.

[/RP]

quote:

I've seen Tomb Raider and I thought it was a let down. Movie tie ins of Games DO NOT work. Period.

I liked it. Wasn't great but a decent adventure and shoot 'em up. Some cool effects.

Then again I have never played a tomb raider game so I had no expectations.

[ 08-17-2001: Message edited by: Charles Lindsey ]