Mobile Suit Gundam versus Mechwarrior (Too much time on my hands :D)

Outlaw

Mecha has been a favorite genre for many years and I was wondering who has the advantage to dominate? Alright give me everything u know about the Mobile Suit Gundam series and the Battletech franchise and give me details on strengths and weaknesses that ultimately lead to who is the best. Let the war begin!

I think Gundams would kick more butt, cause they seem to whip arse in every single show I've seen.

Does anybody else feel sorry for all the Earth Defense Pilots? They are always looking at a picture of there wife while on patrol and thinking of their children when the last thought on their mind beofre they vaporize is "oh no a Gundam!"

Hardly fair. Plus anime style fighting would whip the hell out of the battletech stuff. Just my two cents...

I always preferred BattleTech. Starting from the MultiPlayer BattleTech on AOL and Gamestorm, I have lived and died in that universe, have read like every single book ever written about it and killed about 15000 opponents on the MPBT-Server via AOL.

And since I dont know Gundamn, BT is the Mech-Game of my choice, with 4 Excellent FPS Games and 2 RTS Variants its also the most-released Mech-Game ever

Cheers

Maj. Geist

Black Thorns 2nd Battalion CO

Champion of Solaris

aka

quote:

Originally posted by MidnightGreen:

Forget BT or Gundam (I love Mad Cats/Timberwolves) anyway Voltron would kick everythings ass. Remember that famous line "and I'll form the Head!!!" brings back memories.
Plus you know once they pulled the sword out you can kiss your ass goodbye

ROTFLMAO!!!

Yep, he hit the nail on the head with that one.

I don't know which Voltron you are referring to, but I like the lions better.

[ 08-16-2001: Message edited by: GREG MILLER ]

Battle tech is it. Though I do have to agree anime fighting would kick BT's ass anyday, but BT is more realistic. I',ve been playing BT since it's inception in the 80's. Played most of the earlier computer versions and have even played the Virtual World sims (Master Status, thank you ). If you can find them they are worth the cost to play, about five dollars or more. If you ever get down to Houston, go to Dave and Busters. They have eight pods there. And for all you BT vets out there I've got a funny story. Me and some friends had a LONG campain going. Well, the lance I had was an Assault lance. The ENTIRE lance was taken out with ONE shot from a Gauss Rifle. ONE SHOT!!!. My lance was positioning on a hill for some long range and indirect firing. My "buddy" took a shot at my mech nearest the top at almost the max range of his gauss rifle. Hit the mech in the head, tears it's head clean off, the mech falls and proceeds to hit and take out ALL the other mechs in one fell swoop. Total Lance tonnage was around 350 tons or so. Lost all of it, and four experienced mech warriors.

quote:

The ENTIRE lance was taken out with ONE shot from a Gauss Rifle. ONE SHOT!!!. My lance was positioning on a hill for some long range and indirect firing. My "buddy" took a shot at my mech nearest the top at almost the max range of his gauss rifle. Hit the mech in the head, tears it's head clean off, the mech falls and proceeds to hit and take out ALL the other mechs in one fell swoop. Total Lance tonnage was around 350 tons or so. Lost all of it, and four experienced mech warriors.

Holy s***! That's what I call bad luck...

I'm for Battletech, because all the japanese stuff is too... well... the gundam things and other similar always destroy everything around in a few shots... it's clearly unrealistic, compared to Battletech which is quite realistic.

My laser-Marauder will destroy you! MOUHAHAHA! ...ah the good old mw2 times.

Well, my love of giant mecha was never quite the same, after I read an article in the old cyberpunk suplement Heavy Metal. It basically asserted that the physics behind a 40-50m tall metal humanoid robot just wouldn't work as a construct of that density would sink up to its knees into the earth. (We're talking dirt not concrete here). Other problems included providing a massive silhouete that our current day targeting systems would have absolutely no problem hitting. Thereafter I tended to gravitate more toward Heavy Gear scale mecha which I believe are around 10-15m tall. Examples of these can be found in the Anime shows Armored Trooper Votoms or the more recent Gasaraki.

I've played Battletech and had alot of fun with it, but after having played Heavy Gear the table top game it just seemed more "realistic" to me. For one thing those battlemechs sure could soke up the damage unless you got a lucky head shot. This might make for a fun game, but I believe the sort of armor that a humanoid shaped robot could "realistically" carry would at best soke up one or two hits from a modern day tank gun. I am by no means trying to pass myself off as an expert. I have never been in the military, and my oppinions stem only from what I've read. Most recently I've been into power armor and Grav-tanks for my military sci-fi fix such as can be found in David Drake's Hammer's slammers series of books or Fasa's old Renegade Legion line of games. This isn't to say that Fusion powered Anti-gravity tanks are any more "realistic" than 50m tall giant robots, in some ways I suppose less so. It just seems more "realistic" to me, and a closer analog to what we have today.

However, as long as we're dreaming, let me put my vote in for the YF-23 stealth valkyrie from Macross Plus, That's gotta be the coolest

Pariaaaass!!!!

Send me that mod please! Was it ever finished? The guy said he would have Veritechs in both Defender/Gerwalk and Fighter mode flying around in Homeworld. That's one SWEET mod.

Unfortunately the ones I played with weren't able to transform.. but if you want to screw around with them (they look damn sweet, and the weapon effects are incredible when combined with a Babylon 5 addon I was using), click here and here. Enjoy buddy, kicking some Taiidan ass is a lot funner when you've got a wing of Veritechs are your command! Although I had tweaked the .shp files to be a bit better... balanced by the end of the game

If you want my "enhanced" version, drop me a line on ICQ.

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: Parias ]

quote:

Actually in BT the Mechs are about 10 to 15 meters tall. I remember that because thats the size of the antennas I used to work on.

heh, maybe it was feet then, actually I pretty sure thats what it was now that I think about it, my mistake