X: Beyond the Frontier

brendiaz

I've only been into computer games for a couple of years, which means i missed out on all the great old games, like Elite and Privateer. While I was going through gamespots list of classic sci-fi games, though, I ran into "X" and thought it looked interesting. Since "X" is the same type of game as BC, I was wondering if anyone here had played it and whether they could tell me if its worth the $5 I'd have to pay for it.

I guess, bc3k is worth more that 5 bucks than X is. (thinking 5 bucks on your phonebill in case of modem) In the long run anyway. But all depends on your likes and dislikes.

X is a alot more pleasing for your eyes. In X you can start your own trade- AND manufactoring company in space(only). BC is military command based with trade support, and has fleet command optional. Not to mention BC is planetside aswell. X has no ship-based resource management at all. In BC you have a crew to worry about too. But X has a (payable) upgrade "X-tension" that evens the score on fleet-comand a little. (But I know just as much on Xtension as their product page does)

BC3K is free now. X has manual docking if you want the true space feel.

And BCM is a number of steps ahead in all kinds of directions. So, that 5 bucks depends on what you like. I can't quite agree with the SC here. They are both open-ended space games, that's the common thing. Both have a storyline you don't need to adhere to.

[ 07-22-2001: Message edited by: Rico Jansen ]

Thanks guys, I think I'll pick it up while I'm waiting for BCM. I downloaded the first episode of BCM, it was fun, although i must admit for someone who hasn't played BC3K the learning curve was pretty steep. I know in the final there will be a manual and tutorials, so maybe then i'll learn how to play more effectively. I'd download BC3K from fileplanet, but with my 56k itd just take too long, and w/ electricity costs in california, im keeping as many appliances off as possible. Thanx again for the suggestions.

Say, you ask the same question down at the X forum http://www.egosoft.de/xtension/index.htm

and you will get a far better view of X, get X Gold for 20 quid or less now in the shops because its Elite for 2000, its a great open space trading game, apart from planet visits it allows you to do almost anything within the confines of space. Its beautifull to look at and has so much play time in it if like all these games time is put in.

I've had this game for over a year. I fired it up briefly and then forgot about it. So I blew the dust off on friday night and began putting it through it's paces. On the whole, I like it. Havent tried X-Tension just yet, but I'm gonna pick it up ASAP and download the v2 upgrade cos it sounds kinda nifty.

Initially it appeals to the Elite player in me, but it's not got the same sort of scale that I enjoyed in any of the Elites. By the same token, it doesnt grab me the way BC did, nor Wing Commander or Privateer titles.

Still, it's enjoyable enough to waste a weekend on, but I know it's only a matter of time before I tire of it again (Rare for space-sims) and it goes back to gathering dust. At least, thats what will happen if X-Tension doesnt grab me by the short n curlies nice n quick.

As mentioned, X-BTF and X:T are both more about trade, where as BCM is more about the military side of things. As such, it's a much more challenging game if you stick with the trading side primary, and only use combat as a cure for bordem when missions aren't available....of course you can also do what I do: Take one of those big @$$ TL-class supertransports and go ram some poor merchants...

[ 07-23-2001: Message edited by: Salnas ]