anyone got Max Payne yet?

Real_Lucas

I just read the review over at Gamespot, and I must say it looks pretty good. they say that it looks really impressive and the gameplay is really intuitive. However it does have a few issues, namely some animation errors and primarily that it's a tad short...they say that it 'should' take 10 to 15 hours of gameplay to complete. To me, that roughly translates to 1 day and therefore seriously hampers my enthusiasm for what is probably a highly enjoyable game, but an incredibly short lived experience.

It seems that there are no other projects at all out there with even 1/9th (subtle comparison) the scope of at least ONE (even more subtle) game that is soon to be released.

Hmm, PC Gamer said it was a great game, and that it has a feature called "slo-mo" where when you press it, everything goes in slomotion and that its good when you have difficut things that requier percise timing and so on, I think thats cool, can't wait to try a demo, as for the game hours, I doubt its as low as 15 hours, but I don't really know...

just my thoughts....

yeah, they call the effect "bullet-time" which is exactly like in the matrix, or that farce of a movie Wing Commander, or as I like to call it "Wash Closet" (WC, not Matrix). the controls are setup so that you can move with the keyboard, aim with the mouse, fire by left clicking and then use bullet time by right clicking. the effect is actually finite and you have to kill baddies to replenish your reserves of the 'ability'. The coolness factor in it is that you can aim just as fast as usual, see the travelling bullets or buckshot and do crazy wild aerial maneuvres a-la 'Anything by John Woo'. It looks really cool, but I've made the mistake of buying games on looks alone before....anyone else remember 'Cyberia'?

How yould YOU look if you had your face plastered to a scanner so they could make a "photorealistic" texture?

I might pick it up in the bargain bin, but right now I don't see much that intrests me in it.

Guest Remo Williams

Indeed with BCM almost gold, and GCO on the way Max Payne will be in the bargin bin for years before I give it a try.

Guest Vaipa

The gameplay is roughly 5-6 hours long if you know exactly what to do and skip the "comics style" cutscenes. For a game made in 5 years it's not very much.

Played it, finished it, loved it.

Reminds me of Metal Gear Solid in some places. I guess it won't be the kind of game that I'll remember in 10 years but it's still a kickass game with excellent graphics. I only wish they added the shoot-the-body-parts like in Soldier of Fortune. I love the atmosphere they created in the game. The more you advance in the game the better it gets.

quote:

Originally posted by aramike:

If 10-15 hours translates into one day for any of you guys, you REALLY need to get out more.

That's like two weeks for me.

Amen to that!

Took me 2 weeks to finish Blue Shift, and THAT is a short game!

what is the deal with all these games coming out that are so damn short??

Startrek Elite Force is too short, Max Payne is too short, Blue Shift is too short...seems to me that the game companies are trying to make the most amount of money on a single product as is humanly or 'virtually' possible....there's very little value for money anymore....

It's business. A short game means you'll finish it sooner and get bored with it more quickly. Hence, you'll have to go out and buy another one of thier (since although short, it was a good game) games. They sell more games and you spend more money. And on a side note, although I'm new to BC I do have to applaud the SC for taking so long to complete his game. I'm not being sarcastic. All the delays and time spent show is the fact that he is trying to get the best game possible out there for US. Though I will say I'm glad I found out about it now and not a year ago. I've only know about our game for around two weeks now (yes I have been hiding out in a deep, dark hole) and I'm already slavering for it.

I understand why they do it...it makes economical sense, but it does not encourage me to go out and buy games like that....I would rather wait unti lthey're in the bargain bin for $20 or less before I consider that. There are gamnes out there that come out that are huge...BCM will be one of them (and I can't wait), and those are the kind of games that will get me to open my wallet.

Max payne is not much of a game. I've played it, finished it, took me 12 hours on Fugitive difficulty. Once you finish the game you gain access to two new harder difficulty levels. One where the baddies are harder, better AI etc and one where the levels are timed. However even on these harder settings, the levels are identical. Same no. of badies, same items in the same places etc. I really can't be bothered playing it through again on the harder levels. I have better things to do with my time.

The graphics are sweet and the bullet time okay. But there is no multiplayer and little in the way of replay value.

It isn't worth the money to me. There are few titles out there that seem to innovate these days. Even anachronox which I have enjoyed playing, took 28 hours to get the end level and I haven't seen and done everything, is still a graphical improvement on the likes of Final Fantasy VII.

No, I suggest we all save our money and wait for BCM.

Jez.

[ 08-01-2001: Message edited by: Tyrrian ]

One of the best games I've ever seen and played was Aliens Vs Predator. The best thing it has is pure atmosphere. Though it's a little unbalanced (you don't want to play a Marine online, and you don't see many more aliens). Replay value is ok. At least until you complete the Alien, Predator and Marine missions. The story is linear but like I said its got great atmosphere. I actually twisted my neck when someone said something and I turned my head. I had tensed up so badly. If you like FPS and you haven't played it, get it.