Interplay sold!! Another bites the dust

It was bound to happen, nowadays, if you can't beat your competition, you BUY THEM!!

Interplay now and then all the rest that are left, will sooner or later sell out to the highest bidder, and boy will that make their stockholders happy!!

quote:

Originally posted by Jaguar:

It was bound to happen, nowadays, if you can't beat your competition, you BUY THEM!!

Very true - take a look at what happened to Napster!

It could be worse. Sometimes competitors are bought and then closed down, which is also a method to get rid of them. At least I hope they don't do that.

I wonder what happens to the games that where being developed. When Hasbro bought Microprose "Birth of the Federation" was rushed and only one patch came out. Guess we will know soon enough.

DITTO but didn't they make a really poor game once called ROBO-RUMBLE?

I'm talking like $5 at the pick & save poor

Most of the others are good though

[ 06-09-2001: Message edited by: Commander ZIX ]

These days it's almost impossible for a developer to remain independent. Either you're bought out or you close down.

This happened to one of my favourite game developers, Looking Glass Studios. LGS never made a bad game. In fact, everything they touched seemed to turn into gold pressed platinum (pun intended). They created the first 3D FPRPG (Ultima Underworld), one of the best flight sim series of the 90s (Flight Unlimited), and the best computer game of all time (System Shock).

Unfortunately, not everything they touched turned into money. The only self-published game they ever made, the brilliant Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri, was a commercial failure that left huge debts for the company, not to mention the first nail in its financial coffin.

Things got so bad money wise that the owners of LGS tried to sell the company to Eidos. Unfortunately, Eidos was also losing money at the time, and turned down the acquisition. That was the end of it.

quote:

Fallout, and Fallout 2. Those were really nice.

Don't forget the Descent series (best FPS ever made).

[ 06-09-2001: Message edited by: Menchise ]

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Descent, a FPS? I say it's a simulation.

I guess it depends on your point of view. Here is an excerpt from GameSpot's review of Descent 3.

In 1995, hot on the heels of id's genre-defining Doom, Parallax Software created its own revolution in frantic shooting games: Descent. Whereas Doom felt immediately familiar by casting you in the role of a human moving around on foot while shooting at similarly gravity-constrained enemies, Descent turned the experience, literally, on its head. Parallax's inspiration was to put you into a free-floating spaceship, inject the ship into a series of 3D spaces, and pit it against other flying objects - the complex maneuverability of a space sim coupled with the relentless pace of a first-person shooter.

I prefer to think of it as an action game because the tactics are very simple when compared to space sims.

[ 06-19-2001: Message edited by: Menchise ]

quote:

Well, hopefully the remark was political and not racial, I'll cross my fingers!! because I really Dislike racists!! REALLY dislike racists!!!

While I didn't consider it to be racist in the pure sense of the word (he just said that he hated the Chinese), I think his intent is misplaced and I found it objectionable as others might - regardless.

Hate, IMHO, is too strong a term, however, when it comes to issues such as race, color or creed, well, their is a fine line between outright racism and politically incorrectness. I deemed his excerpt to be the latter, but, the use of the term hate was inappropriate.

"I hate Chinese".

CHINA is a nation. Anyone who is in China is Chinese. Chinese, in normal usage of the term, is not a racial expression. "I hate Asians" would be a racial expression.

Is "I hate Americans" racist? I think not. However, "I hate Hispanic Americans" would be.

So on and so forth.

I can't eat Seafood , but I LOVE chinese food!!! lol and mexican food, and Thai food, oh, and of course Indian food!!

OK, where are we going?................... and how did we get HERE?

[ 06-20-2001: Message edited by: Jaguar ]