Terminus

Soback

I saw this game in EB world and it looked kinda nice but my buddy said that it sucks. So if anyone could give me some feedback about the game, whats it about and basically everything you know, especially if you actually played it. Thanks.

(Think "Homer Simpson after stepping into pool after forgetting to clean it")

EEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

I've said my piece.

Edit: Actually, no, I haven't.

Review

There, NOW I've said my piece

*Goes back to pigging out on junk food*

[ 04-15-2001: Message edited by: Parias ]

• 2 months later...

Ok, I just got the game 2 days ago. I really feel that it's been given unfair reviews by many people. The game is rather nice. You can fly different ships, complete missions for $, trade, and mine asteroids, and then spend the money you get on different ships and to manintain and outfit those ships. The universe in the game is really dynamic too. There's a whole lot of ships always flying around no matter where you are, doing their own thing, entering and exiting in jump gates and docking with stations. One cool moment was when I was exiting a station and another 2 docking ports opened and one more ship was flying out and another was docking. The missions that you can undertake vary widely and new types of missions appear as your reputation increases. The flight engine is the real good part about the game. The ship slides and slips, just like in I-war and if you set the physics settings to higher then it's even more then that, you can actually speed up, turn off comp assistance, turn around and shoot at the pursuing ship without loosing any speed. The only part I agree with in the reveiws is about the graphics engine which is a little aoutdated but nice, and also the computer pannels at the station, they could have animated the windows better and instead of giving me just a textual description of whatever I am buying maybe throw in a picture too. Overall, anyone would like this game if they werent going in with already set mind about it, tainted by all the mediocre reviews out there.

You want a game like Terminus (at least, it's pirate career) but something roughly three hundred times better in just about every single area?

Not counting BCM, of course....

Well, Clicky. At least IWar2 and BCM don't have space fruit cannons.

They have a lot of patches out, but you only need one after you buy the game. It sells v1.1 and there's a patch from v1.1 to v1.81 and that's it. It hasn't crashed on me once, and it's only $19.99 now, don't buy it if they are charging you 29.99 or higher. Of course it's not BC:M or close to it but the way I look at it it's not comparable. I mean in BC:M you can play as a commander of a capital ship, a trader, a fighter pilot, a marine... etc.... in Terminus you only play as a pilot of a sinlge seater, what you choose is a career, like for Earth or Mars military, a pirate or a mercenary. The graphics are not top of the line and the flight engine takes getting used to because it's based on newtonian physics, but once you go through training missions and start the game in story line(which I heard goes into free mode once the story line is over) it's rather fun to fly and get money for missions and spend it on your ship or just buy a whole new one. Sometimes I just launch for the hell of it, put the camera in chase view and see what kind of weir manuvers I can do with those newtonian physics.

Parias, you shouldn't trash that game like this. If you played Privateer, and Privateer 2 then this game is very much fun because it's a lot like them but with much better graphics and awsome flight physics, and only because there isn't much eye candy it's the only game where I saw a station being rotated like in Babylon 5. Other's will throw in better graphics but the flight physics and the details (like station rotation or selective damage to the ship and subsystem targeting) isn't there.

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

Huh... parias, why does the link you provided push me to a "MS WinNT 4.0 Option pack" website???

I noticed that shortly after I linked to the site. I've confirmed in my history files that that link INDEED goes to the official IWar2 website. So either Bill Gates has expanded in his plans to assimilate this portion of Alpha Centauri, or they're moving to some kind of new server and that's just a temporary setup. Either way, I can assure you that it worked before.... just, um, pretend there's an IWar2 page there or something

quote:

Other's will throw in better graphics but the flight physics and the details (like station rotation or selective damage to the ship and subsystem targeting) isn't there.

Half the time you spent in the original Independence War was in your engineering screen prioritizing repairs to your damaged systems (there were lots). And quite a few objectives revolved around taking out a specific system on a ship... Freespace 1/2 also have subsystems and specific damage that could be incurred on you. As did X-Wing Alliance... in fact, apart from X: BTF and X-Tension (which both also had internal damage you could sustain.. albeit, rarely), I can't think of one recent space shooter that didn't have damagable subsystems in it

[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: Parias ]

Parias, when I clicked on that link that takes you to that win NT site I thought that you were trashing the game by comparing it to how crapy windows can be sometimes with their crashes lock ups etc....

The posting here reflects the critical acclaim that has met this game. Reviewers are about as sharply divided on this as they can be: a score as high as 91% to as low as F. One reviewer stated he got the game for free, but still wanted his money back because the game was so bad.

As simple and linear as it was by today's standards, I have played Privateer more than any other PC game, amassing around 25 million credits the last time I played it, sometime last year. The comparison of Privateer to Terminus has intrigued me, but I never bought it. The Terminus Demo looks interesting, but due to the harsh reviews, I went with other games to use up my time.

Any Terminus fans willing to give the game a thumbs up for $29.95? How would it compare to Privateer for "fun factor"?

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: thanatos ]

The game prety much is like privateer with a little different storyline. You do missions for money, buy and upgrade your ships(the only difference here is that you can own more then one ship), and just go with the storyline or kick back and do missions and let the story unfold on it's own(that's what I am doing right now, since I shot down some of the United Earth League ships they been after me, so I bought a cargo ship and just do mining runs from asteroid belt to stations that need minerals) The changes from Privateer are better graphics (compared to Privateer) and kick ass flight engine compared to everything else (even I-War 2). Don't buy it for 29.99 though, because you might not like it and feel like you threw away 30 bucks. I played that game once for about 20 minutes at my friends and was dead set against it because I couldn't get the hand of the flight engine (you turn one way, ship goes the other way and it makes for some hard dog fights). Now that I saw it for 19.99 I decided to give it another shot. So I actually went through the training missions and found out that there's some nifty things thrown in that if used right can make you an ace at dogfighting, like computer assisted thrusters and some other stuff. But once you amass enough money to buy the best fighter and outfit it to your liking (no matter how hard you try you need to choose between getting the best thing and skipping on something else because of not enough space on the ship or of downgrading a little bit and cramming one more thing into the compartment, that makes for kinda unique ships because they have different equipment and handle differently depending on your mass) you can just go on a rampage agains the faction that you don't like or just take away cargo from the merchants. So, it's worth buying this game for 19.99, but unless you are sure about it, don't spend $30 bucks on it.

Thanks for the info, Soback. The $20 gamble, eh?

I may use it to fill in the gaps of space sim combat/trade/exploration. Hey wait! This sounds alot like some other game, soon to be released, with an EB $10 Off coupon deal, doesn't it?

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: thanatos ]

It's not really such a bad game when i bought it last year. the reviews just sez that the graphics were dated and it was pretty difficult to play. its just that.....space is very lonely......especiallly if u r the only ship flying in multiplayer!!! Thats the bit that got me annoyed with that game. i practice for days trying to perfect my dog fighting skills only to find that i'm the only ship there!!! and don't remind me of the lag either. oh well at least i can say that i was never killed by anyone on multiplayer in terminus i'm the king of the world!!!! hehe