What a Find! (Bargain Bin Treasures)

Charles Lindsey

Got bored and went to the Comp USA.

After looking at the too expensive hardware I decided to go through the games. Nothing struck my fancy there either. I wandered around the store for a bit looking for the bargain aisle. They've re-arranged since I was there last but found it. Not much interesting there either.

Finally the jewel case display struck my eye. Even though I expected nothing more than the "1000 Best Windows Solitaire" games and "Billy Bob's 3D Landscaping Planner" I looked anyway.

Boy was I surprised. Of course they had some of the dorky things but they also had Jewel case Tomb Raider games, Ultima Online Gold (something like that) , several other big names I recognized but wasn't interested in.

Patiently flipping through them all I found a copy af Railroad Tycoon. Old I know but I enjoyed the demo. I liked watching the little guys chugging around. My Dad had a Lionel Set he used to set up for Christmas. So the demo was fun and nostalgic at the same time. Did finally find one other copy so may buy that for dad.

I also found three copies of Dues Ex. I really enjoyed this demo. Along the lines of Thief but modern. I tucked those away hoping they will last till payday.

Everything was labeled $9.99 so I figured I could handle that. Went to the register and it rang up $5.27 ($4.99 + tax). Way Cool. I can handle that to the max.

Anyway, the whole point was that they seem to be putting really good stuff in the bargain bins. If you got a Comp USA near you go check it out.

That just made my day. biggrin.gif

Anyone find anything else really neat?

------------------

Vice Admiral Chavik

ICV Phoenix, Sygan Starstation (Sygan)

Fleet Leader - Balor Fleet

Official BC3K Tester

Oh yes, but I dont have to go to CompUSA...or pay for it.

http://www.classic-trash.com/

http://www.abandongames.com/

Vaporware... yet I found Master of Orion, A10 Tank Killer, Darklands, Master of Magic, Pirates, Transport Tycoon (MUCH cooler than railroad tycoon), Civilization and other great games.

Enjoy!

Edited:

You can find ALL the Ultima games, including UNDERWORLD I & II (the best ultima games ever in my opinion) if you search on these sites or the sites they link to.

[This message has been edited by Tac (edited 02-19-2001).]

• 1 month later...

Rename treasures to Trinkets. smile.gif Just figured out these are limited editions. The three scenarios in RRT2 don't bother that much but Deus Ex will not except the multiplay patch. Slightly dissappointing. Found on the Deus Ex forum it supposedly only has the first 5 missions. For $9 still not bad it's just not the treasure I thought it was.

Kush, was it a jewel case only Limited Edition or just an old boxed version? Jewel case it's probably like what I have found.

I would love to play SS2 but even the demo was way to creepy for me. biggrin.gif I don't think I could handle it.

It was in a box, with the brand name "Classics" on the bottom in gold. I don't know who repackages these games but if it IS the full game, then that was an insane deal!

Every now and then I am kind of astonished that the computer industry actually survives.

After reading Derek's various soap box rants about the industry, sometimes I have no idea why someone would want to even want to make a computer game.

Don't tell anyone, but I would have happily paid twice that much for System Shock 2. I'm starting to feel like I should just wait six months after a game has been released and scoop it up for half the price. (Of course I'll be camped out in front of my local EB the day BCM ships. Some games you don't wait for.)

I have found some good deals in the pre-owned software section in the local Electronics Botique(spelling?). They have some good stuff from anywhere from $3 to $10. For Example, I've gotten Halflife, Imperium Galactica 2, etc, there for around 7$, and have even seen Descent 3 and Baulder's Gate there for under $10.

Whatever you buy in used games make sure you don't buy something that is multiplayer like Diablo 2 or 1 that is used, they require you to punch in a code when you install the game and if the previous owner copied the game and is playing it online, then you will not be able to. Just be carefull.

Speaking of games like that, I recently picked up the Spec Ops series for around 10 buck. They were alot better than my expectations. Still quite a few problems, but it's a pretty interesting concept. Similar to the DF series.

------------------

Commodore Kyle Antilles

ICV-Eclipse, Destiny Starstation (Nevuela)

Commanding Officer, Destiny

Spectre Fleet

External Beta Tester

Battlecruiser Millennium

"You can only love or hate something you truly understand"

Guest Commander Hamblin

Anyone know where I could get hold of a copy of an old game called USS Ticonderoga, here in the UK? It came out around '95, and I've been searching everywhere for it. No one seems to have it.

I saw Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri for $9.99 at Wal-Mart It was just a jewel case (no box or manuel) but it looked like the full game. also saw a jewel case game called Airport Tycoon of 9.99 and that game was released just a few months ago for $20. The wal-mart here dosen't have a lot of boxed games but they have a lot of Jewel case games that are real computer games not just '1000 solitare super-pak' games. The best buy here also is starting to grt quality games in their value games section.

I picked up System Shock 2 a month ago for about 20 bucks, and yesterday picked up Shogun: Total War for $20. Plus I saw Alice in Wonderland for about $25 (waiting for that to drop a few more dollars.) smile.gif

There are alot of good games that can be found in the bargin section you just have to take the time to look.

[This message has been edited by Karl Wolf (edited 04-03-2001).]

6 months ago, I was able to pick up System Shock 2 at Sam's Club for $8. eek.gif

------------------

Commander Greg Miller

GCV - Sark, Orion Starstation (CENTRIS)

Fleet XO, Wing Leader, Tsunami Battle Group

www.orionfleet.com

'Here cometh the storm!'

External Beta Tester

Battlecruiser Millenium

[This message has been edited by GREG MILLER (edited 04-03-2001).]

Commander Hamblin!!!

Just saw a copy of USS Ticonderoga in a computer store, here in Toronto Canada, for $25 cnd.

It was in a small, mom and pop computer store. They probably have had it sitting in the window since 1995.

I'll give you the address of the store if you want it.

• 4 months later...

I actually keep a list of all the old games that I want to collect (Whether I play them or not is insubstantial). Among them is both Obsidian and Blade Runner. I actually owned Blade Runner at one point, but sold it because the game ran almost unplayably slow (My old Packard Hell had 712k of video memory. Blade Runner required 2Mb. I remember thinking "Omg, TWO Megabytes!!!! Hah). Both are out of print and very difficult to find in reasonable condition (Ebay is worthless these days. Everyone lies and hardly anybody actually pays for the items they win. So don't bother suggesting it).

I just picked up BCM Limited Platinum edition complete with map pack, multiplayer support, completely modeled interior capital ships, and 1 months free trial period of GCO for $8.50 at Ted's Bargain Basement... oh wait, your still in september 2001... um.. errrr, never mind then.

Ok, let me see which ones I am willing to trade. I have more then 90 games and will probably be willing to trade about 50 or 60 so once I am done I can e-mail a .txt file of the games I can trade. Good idea.

That brings me to a question... Is GCO just going to have a flat cost, or is it going have a monthly rate, too? (Though from what salisbury said, and my prediction, I think it will have a monthly rate, but I want to be sure.)